My Lee Enfield project

This is a discussion on My Lee Enfield project within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; image.jpg image.jpg This is a 1943 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 that's going to be my next restoration project. Here is its background, years ago my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: My Lee Enfield project

My Lee Enfield project

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    This is a 1943 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 that's going to be my next restoration project. Here is its background, years ago my dad purchased this rifle in its current horrible state for 40 dollars he says it was 20 but mother the budget keeper says 40 so 40 it is. He fired maybe 5 rounds to make sure it functioned and stuck it in the closet, dads not into guns but for 20/40 bucks he couldn't let it go. Sat in the closet for years until we got older and he got nervous we would mess around with it and gave it to his brother my uncle/tio (Spanish for uncle) who was into deer hunting and he promptly stuck it in the old gun case with the other rifles in the living room. Remember when everyone had that glass door gun case out in the open for everyone to see!! Well fast forward 35 years and here I am very much into firearms and this weekend after Sunday breakfast I ask my dad if Tio still had that old rifle from way back when and do you think he would sell it to me. Quick phone call and he says your Tio says to drop by and pick it up. Off I go down the road with a child's memory of my dad's old rifle that we would glimpse in the closet eager to add it to my collection where it will take a place of honor as my dads old rifle back where it belongs. Out comes this old butchered/sporter Lee, wow memory sure does play tricks on a guy. My uncle never fired it just been sitting around rusting for the last 35 years, surface rust is plentiful as is old grease and oil the front sight has been replaced and the rear ladder sight was removed and a buckhorn style rear sight replaced it on the barrel and to top it off I think the stock was painted with a brush and the buttpad is missing. 20 dollars might actually have been the fair price. Showed it to dad and says that looks worse than I remember it, I guess his memory was playing tricks on him as well. My nephews look at me and ask Tio can you fix it?? I give the old Brit a dramatic once over bemoaning all its faults sigh and say Mijos (sons) your Tio has a lot on his plate right now but give me till the end of summer and you won't recognize this old rifle when I'm done with it. I'm going full retro on this old girl bringing her back to her original military glory, might take a bit of time but I think the old man and the kids will be happy.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Good luck on the restoration. I look forward to lots of pictures.

My first owned gun was a Lee-Enfield select grade purchased from the 1962 Sears Christmas catalog when I was sixteen. The rifle, some boxes of ammo, and a cleaning kit cost me around $40.00. I filled out the order form, bought a postal money order, and mailed them in. A few days later, the mailman dropped them off on our porch. I was one happy kid when I got home from school. I sold it when I joined the Navy. I wish I still had it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Sir, your cause is noble. Best of luck with that (formerly/soon to be) beautiful rifle.
    gen3 and Rabbit212 like this.

Now that is a worthwhile project. I have always admired Lee-Enfields and Krags.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

That's gonna be a project to be proud of when you are finished.
    Rabbit212 likes this.
    "ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!"

Good luck.
    A very worthwhile project putting it back into its original state.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    These were Wonderful Accurate Weapons. I Admire the History AND the Story so Please post Pix as you go. Thank You!!!.

Sponsor
    I sold a shot out No. 4, MK1 to buy a Springer 1898, 30-40 Krag. I loved the Lee but it was a 5 MOA gun. I still haven't shot the Krag-Jorgensen so I don't know if I'm any better off...

I found a lot of parts available on ebay for the Lee, including repop and vintage wood. Have fun with the restore and enjoy an Iconic rifle.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Thank you all for the encouragement and support I am looking forward to starting this project after a bit more research. Parts are very plentiful and i think I can get everything I will need for roughly $300, probably more then the rifle will be worth but it's more of a sentimental project for me.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Senior Moderator
    Please keep us posted on your project. It'd be fun to keep up with your progress.

I like Enfields and rehab'd one some years back. Here's a link to the old thread.

Rehab'ing An Enfield No. 4 Mark 2
    LimaCharlie, msgt/ret and ccw9mm like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I paid $50 for my 1917 enfield and cleaned it up and sold it for $65 like a dummy.At 250 yards it was right on!

An ambitious project returning a classic battle rifle to its former glory, best of luck. Years ago Roses had barrels of Enfields for about $125; I still kick myself for not buying several.
    ccw9mm and LimaCharlie like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I remember when KMart opened in my hometown back in the early '60s. The sporting goods department had rows of Mausers and Enfields, all for under $50. What I'd give to see that now!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    That is going to be one cool project! Keep us posted!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I was just thinking, you could probably get off easy and simply spray it with Duracoat when it's ready. It will help fill any pits and isn't that far off from a period correct FTR (factory thorough refinish I think) where they painted them with black suncorite.
    Rabbit212 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links