Hk 416

This is a discussion on Hk 416 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Have you guys seen this gun. It is unbelievable I posted some stuff about it in another thread so I won't go into detail here ...

Thread: Hk 416

Hk 416

Have you guys seen this gun. It is unbelievable I posted some stuff about it in another thread so I won't go into detail here but it is a tremendously reliable AR variant. I hope these things catch on and they start selling them to the public. There are some people within HK who want to sell them to the public, I sure hope they win or I'm gonna have to buy a Bushy or a Sig 556.www.hkpro.com/hk416.htm
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Looks like a great rifle, but I don't know if they make a semi version or if it's a transferable class three here.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I figure they'll eventually make a semi version. Looks like a sweet weapon.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member
    ...I'd be happy if a complete upper (with HK sights) is available.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    To quote Peter from Family Guy, "Freakin' Sweet!"
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand View Post
    I figure they'll eventually make a semi version.
    There's been a lot of discussion about this on the boards over at hkpro.com, some people over there are practically foaming at the mouth to get their hands on one. Unfortuantely, it doesn't look like we'll be seeing them on the civilian market anytime soon. The issue isn't making a semi-auto version, it's where the gun is manufactured. They're being made in Germany, and ATF won't let HK import them for civilian sales (even in semi-auto), just military and police use. To sell them on the civilian market, HK would have to set up a factory here in the U.S. (just like SIG did with the 556). Right now, the word is that HK isn't going to do that. I guess they just doesn't think that would be profitable.

Reportedly, there are some 416 uppers in civilian hands here in the U.S. (a 416 upper will fit on a standard AR lower). Evidently these were imported for police use, then broken down and the uppers sold on the civilian market.

VIP Member
    While not an HK there is a similar firearm produced here in the US and readily available. Patriot Ordnance Factory

I have a Recon version on order for a customer. It should arrive in 10 to 12 weeks. I'll try to post some pictures when it comes in.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

rmw
    I understand that because it is an H&K it will be good quality but is there anything special about it besides it being a piston driven upper ? And aren't there 3 or 4 mfg's that already do this ? I just ordered a Sig 556 so hopefully it will live up to the hype

They fired it 2 seconds after unburying it from the sand, then 2 seconds after it was submerged in water then they rotated it 360 degrees from vertical to upside down to vertical while firing full auto with no problems in all 3 tests. They then shot 90 rounds through it full auto and removed the bolt to find it cool enough to hold bare handed. Do you think the other mfg.s put their guns through that?

rmw
    Quote Originally Posted by swedgin View Post
    They fired it 2 seconds after unburying it from the sand, then 2 seconds after it was submerged in water then they rotated it 360 degrees from vertical to upside down to vertical while firing full auto with no problems in all 3 tests. They then shot 90 rounds through it full auto and removed the bolt to find it cool enough to hold bare handed. Do you think the other mfg.s put their guns through that?
    Yes . I've never seen one of these in person but as far as I can tell it is just a glorified piston driven AR . Look at these http://www.zmweapons.com/index.htm
    They are in use in Iraq right now and he has been making them for years and if I remember right he first did it so he could have a pistol withought the spring sticking out of the back of the receiver . I love H&K guns and roller lock and fluted chambers are sweet but it looks to me like they are just trying to get into the LE market a little deeper
    .There are some pretty tricked out AR's out there right now and maybe they have something new but if they do I guess I am not seeing it

Actually it's not the LE market, it was designed for a single unit of the socom. They adopted it then others did as well. The elite socom units are choosing the 416 over the already conttracted FN SCAR. Many are in Iraq as we speak and they are proving to be very reliable. I haven't read too much on the other gas tappett AR's but I saw footage of some demonstrations with the 416 that I think AKs (the ultimate beat aroujnd gun) would have trouble with as well as many other guns for that matter.

I saw the reviews on the rifle on Future Weapons the other night on TV.......ONE SWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET GUN!! They eat everything.......and you can put the HK type 40MM grenade launcher on it.......(the Full Auto gun that is) Sure is a winner in my books.........I'd rather save my money and buy one of the 416 guns than the Sig 556........(besides H&K is the better choice)
    They demoed the gun, with a Beta drum........ran 100 rounds full auto thru it, pulled out the both carrier, and it was ICE COLD.. ......one word..... ....UNBELIVABLE!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as75-e.htm

That page has a pretty good write up on them. I think I wouldn't mind having one.

There is also talk of the HK417, which would be in 7.62x51 Nato, I would want one of those even more.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links