Defensive Carry banner

New AR (pics)= Very Angry Wife (No pics)

3K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  northjdr 
#1 ·
Well I did it. I picked up the new AR15 out of lawaway today and my wife is pretty angry (big understatement)... but after shooting it... well the jury isn't in yet, but I think... I'm pretty sure... Yeah, I made the right choice. She'll get over being angry, and I have a new toy!:danceban:

Went to the range to put a few rounds through it. Didn't take the camera, but I snapped a few after I got back and gave her a good cleaning... the gun, not the wife.

Shoots like a dream, and once she was dialed in, I was actually amazed at how accurate this gun is. I going coyote hunting tomorrow... that's why I picked it up today even though I promised I wouldn't until summer... I jknew I needed a .223 for the yotes... I've used my 10/22 with CCI stingers for years, but I've limited my shots to 50 yards or less, and that's a little close for most yotes. With this, new ar, I have doubt I will be reaching out a little further tomorrow.:image035:

Now I am truely at a loss, because this was the absolute last gun that I knew I wanted. So, to make my wife, and my checking account happy, I may have to lay off a new purchase for quite a while... but what a gun to play with in the mean time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice stick.

Now, it just needs and EoTech, and some rails, and a different grip and.....

j/k it's quite nice as it is. Beware BRD, though. It's easy to get into buying things to hang on the rifle.

Matt

#3 ·
Local yotes - stand by - or better still, RUN!!! :wink:

That will enjoyable I am sure - that'll do you nicely for those 150 - 200 yard shots.

BTW - we really, really, DO need angry wife pic's LOL!

<ducks for cover!>

#4 ·
Went to a gunshow this morning, a Bushmaster superlight A2 with a TeleStock followed me home.

The wife has been on the phone ever since, I think she is lining up pallbearers.

She calmed down when I explained I sold two pistols to finance it. Then I whined a little about how the Democrats are trying to bring back the ban and It may be my last chance to get one and this one would go to our Son someday just as my Dad's guns went to me.
I thought up even more excuses on the way home from the show but didn't need them. :wink:

#9 ·
You've Got Some Good Points Here...

First, nice gun...smart buy!
Second, (I've had my BushMaster for 3 months now.) I second the EO Tech Holographic Scope...it's a fantastic addition...
Lastly, and most important...we should start a thread of just...Things to say to the wife about the justification of another gun purchase...
The Dem's ban and your dad's hand-me-down ideas are two great starters!

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#5 ·
Congrats on the new poodle plinker lol. And on the angry wife ( assuming she is angry enough to try that silent treatment stuff and you get some peace and quiet LOL ) . Seriously she cant stay angry long enough to outlast your enjoyment of the new rifle .

#6 · (Edited)
Two months ago I bought a Springfield 7.62mm M1A Scout Squad, Aimpoint 2X Scope, GI sling, Harris bipod,3000 rounds 7.62 NATO ammo, an M14 cleaning kit, 1 five round Mag, 4 ten round mags and 10 twenty round mags.
That cost me 1.70 carats of diamonds for my honey.
She's not mad at all.
:)

#7 ·
Congrats on the new rifle, sorry to hear about the missus but she'll be ok. Let her shoot it and she'll get on board pretty quick!

I went to a gun show last night and I almost walked out with a Springfield M1A Socom. If that sucker didn't have a quad rail installed on it I would've had a pretty mad wife too.

That was close..........

#8 ·
Congrats on the new rifle! BTW, you might be able to locate a Ceiner, or Atchenson 22 LR conversion kit for your new toy.. makes it a dual purpose rifle that even your Wife can enjoy shooting, and you cansave some bucks for another toy in the future

#11 ·
Yes, I can see as how you would need to get that as soon as possible.

And besides...it could get extremely dusty being on lay~away for an extended period of time. My Wife hates dust.

All the more reason to get it home right away. :yup:

It will look really good hanging up on the wall of the dog house that you'll be sleeping in for a while. :rofl:

Nice pics too!

Seriously Congrats!

How are ya going to 'splain to her that you need about 10 more magazines right away & a whole pile of ammo.

Oh...& did I forget to mention that pricey but highly nifty optical sight?

#12 ·
How are ya going to 'splain to her that you need about 10 more magazines right away & a whole pile of ammo.

Oh...& did I forget to mention that pricey but highly nifty optical sight?

I've been thinkin' about that. Since they are small, she may not have to know about them.

I managed to keep my new Taurus 1911 hidden from her for a good week. In fact, the only reason she caught me was because I was cleaning it with my Beretta 92 after taking them both to the range, and she asked about the guns while I was at the kitchen table.

Normally, she wouldn't think twice. Guns are my thing. She'll go shooting with me, and she has expressed an interest in taking the CCW class at some point this summer, but she really doesn't know one of my guns from the other. It was my big mouth as I said, "Well this is the Bereatta I've had forever, and this is the New Taurus I just picked up.... doh!":spankme:

The Taurus was supposed to be on layaway until June. Then when I put this one on Layaway, I told her it would be July before I got it out. I seriously intended to wait until July. Coyote season ends here in a couple of months, and doesn't open again until July, so I figured I'd just wait until then... then my buddy says, "Hey, let's go hunting this weekend." What could I say:confused: I had to agree.... and since I agreed, I had to have a proper gun for the occasion... and well, the rest is history. She, of course, noticed this one as I brought it in.:rant:

Now, for the all the ad-ons... I don't think she'll ever notice. She really doesn't pay close enough attention to how any of my guns look... Now if I bring another gun home before I get her Taurus revolver out of layaway, then I might as well look for a good lawyer to handle, at best a divorce, and at worst, the reading of my will.

I think looking at all the fun additions could keep me busy for a while... and that way I can honestly tell her, "No, I haven't been looking at another new gun"

#15 ·
I also went out and got a rock river car A-4 on wed. but on my way home i went by wally world and got a mp3 player that the wife had wanted. gave that to her when she got home and then showed her my new toy. she was a little unhappy since i just bought a S&W 637 last month.

#16 ·
I know how you folks feel. My wife is (was) pretty tolerant about my gun pruchases when I used to bring home $1,500 dollar paychecks every week, but now that I am back in school and she is the major money provider, no such luck.

I used to come home from every gun show with at least one, sometimes two new purchases. Once she told me that she thought I needed counseling, because I had an addiction. How crazy is that?

If I want a gun now, I have to sell one of my other ones to get the money. SO SAD. I'll be right back, I have to go have a good cry....

Ok, I'm back. Congrats on the new rifles everyone.

#17 ·
that is why my wife has been getting lots of chocolate, flowers and little surprises for the last month.....
:king:

(my son and I are going to my local dealer wed., he is hooking us up with a pair of DPMS AR's , we have a deal, if my wife gets too hot, well, I can sleep on his couch....:gah:

If his wife gets to hot.....we might have a small problem here in Ohio....

:blink:

#20 ·
Well, the coyote hunting didn't go so well this morning. It was really windy, and my boots split along the side, leaving me with very cold & wet feet early in the morning. Plus, we weren't seeing anything, so we called it a day early and went to the range instead. It's down in a hole, so we were protected by the wind, and Wally World had a pretty good price on Remington FMJ (Since they dropped Zumbo, I'll buy their stuff again). Brought the target home this time to grab a picture.

I didn't think it was to bad for a new gun. This was with the iron sights at 50 yards. When I first got my 10/22, my groups weren't this tight at 25 yards. Maybe I'm just a better shot now, but I'm still pretty impressed. I'm actually amazed at well this AR shoots. What took me so long to get with the program?

#22 ·
Great purchase! But, hunting coyotes? In all my 97 years of hunting, I've never known these weapons to be used for hunting. -- JUST KIDDING! Hey, take your wife shooting. Buy more jewelry. It'll all be okay.

#25 ·
Congrats on the new DPMS AR and thanks for supporting our local economy (they're made here in St. Cloud, MN) I just picked up my first AR last week. DPMS 308LR, my new deer slayer and sod poodle pounder. I'm still looking at optics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.