Something I am thinking about doing - Page 3

Something I am thinking about doing

This is a discussion on Something I am thinking about doing within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Euc; your SKS sounds almost like mine....basic wood stock, however. I bought mine on a group deal at my Squadron for $59 in 93 simply ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something I am thinking about doing

Euc; your SKS sounds almost like mine....basic wood stock, however. I bought mine on a group deal at my Squadron for $59 in 93 simply cuz "They are gonna ban them, better get one now while you can." No extras whatsoever.

It's plenty of gun for the front or back door and it's certainly more gun than any sidearm. I agree that stripper clips are the way to go (10 rd for me). Those detachable mags don't do you any good if they're not 100% reliable, as my internal 10 rd mag is.

I've got a RRA AR (16" bbl, colapsable stock, NM 2 stage trgr) on the way to my local FFL, already got 600rds or 5.56, an EOTech 512, and 8 of the USGI 30 rd black Teflon mags on hand. I plan on getting another upper receiver with more bbl & mounting a scope for longer range.
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Another advantage of bare stock or almost bare stock SKS rifles is that they do not look like SKS rifles to the clueless. I hate to say this but I use my mother as a test subject. She didn't think it was an SKS when I showed it to her.

The reason why is that my dad has one and his is a toy as far as he's concerned. Paratrooper folding stock, bayonet, bipod, detachable 30 round magazines, the works. Why? Because he could.

You do have to practice to really get the hang of the stripper clips but it's pretty easy once you get it down.

The only other thing I've considered is a Weaver style scope mount and a scope of course. This is for more than anything some practice with a scope, and to make it look even more like a "hunting" rifle.

Like I often say, yes it's a piece of Chinese commie crap, but it's mine. An SKS in the hand is worth a rack of Bushmasters at the store. And you don't really outgrow it. It'll become my truck rifle once it's not the best overall defensive option I have.

Assistant Administrator
    I am old - and like older platforms ... and if thinkin' .308 (or to be precise, 7.62 x 51 NATO) then it's FAL for me ... got a lot goin' for it

I have AK, SKS's ... plenty of other rifles but - I am thinking MBR category here -- and so --

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Since you mention in the first post tha you operate on a shoestring budget, have you considered a SMLE or a Mauser? The bolt action doesn't hamper you much, and the prices are great. A SMLE in .303 or .308 can be had for under $200 in top-notch condition, and Mitchell is still selling NIB Mausers for under $300. A bit unconventional, but it meets your needs and leaves lots of money for any additions/modifications you might want.

I've only seen them mentioned twice so far, but do not overlook FAL's and L1A1's. They are chambered in .308, 20-30 round capacity and very accurate out to 300 meters. I also own an AK style(WASR-10) rifle and love it, but it's best used under 120 meters IMHO.

I own an L1A1(meteric) and I absolutely love shooting it. The down side is it's a long weapon and would be unwieldy in close quarters. However, parts are comman and not that expensive.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

I thought about your discussion with exsoldier762 while I was driving to work this morning. This came to me...

Should you suffer the misfortune to have a break in while you are home. I believe you are at some point going to have to leave your safe area. The police will eventually arrive and you are going to have to move to your door to meet them. Since you cannot know if the goblins are still in your house, the rest of your home is still a danger zone. You will have to clear the area from your safe room to the door.

Just a thought.
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

Lead Moderator
    A better plan than clearing the house is have a door key on a large bright key fob to toss out a window to the PD. I am considering a SU 16c for my truck gun. Takes same mags. as my AR, same ammo too. Light , folding stock and other neat features.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong
    Since you mention in the first post tha you operate on a shoestring budget, have you considered a SMLE or a Mauser? The bolt action doesn't hamper you much, and the prices are great. A SMLE in .303 or .308 can be had for under $200 in top-notch condition, and Mitchell is still selling NIB Mausers for under $300. A bit unconventional, but it meets your needs and leaves lots of money for any additions/modifications you might want.
    I looked at a Mauser here the other day. It was all right.

I need to learn more about them I must admit. SMLEs too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links