The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

This is a discussion on The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the replies. I am a noob in most things in this arena!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

Thanks for the replies. I am a noob in most things in this arena!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sheckigreen View Post
    Do you shoot them a lot? What is the benefit of having, say, a new ar-15? Are you sort of preparing for a SHTF situation? Or is it just fun to shoot them? Why not a regular rifle?
    I try to shoot mine as often as I can. As far as having a new one - it's just cool knowing that you're the only one that touched it, and any problems with it you can claim as your own.

I wouldn't say I'm "preparing" for a SHTF situation, but I won't let myself be caught with my pants around the ankles. Knees? Perhaps, although I'm trying to avoid that too. Seven P's and all that.

And hell yes, they're fun to shoot!

As to why not a regular rifle - the AR-15 is the absolute closest I can get to the piece I spent my time with in the Corps. I can live without a burst function.

Why An AR...Now?

When you want to go out and just have some shooting fun...
    Before you CAN"T buy one...
    Very dependable...parts are simple and available...
    Large mags...
    When the SHTF and the gangs come calling...
    When you might just have to 'reach, way out' and touch someone...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Nate;307188]
    I wouldn't say I'm "preparing" for a SHTF situation, but I won't let myself be caught with my pants around the ankles. Knees? Perhaps, although I'm trying to avoid that too. Seven P's and all that.QUOTE]

7 P's? I only learned 6 P's. Which one did they miss with me?
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

AR's are flat out fun. Accurate, reliable and lethal.....what else do I need in a rifle?

What's the "draw" of such rifles? Suitability to purpose.

My take ...

Handgun out to 35yds or so, perfect for concealable and mobile protection detail. Shotty out to 25yds, perfect for defending a house/structure, particularly in an ensconced position. A quick, nimble rifle out to 75-100yds, for when you can't know the required distance (as in a riot/flood/SHTF type situation. And a bolt-action long rifle for larger, tougher game at a distance, though that comes at the expense of close-in suitability. Basically, it comes down to: suitability to purpose, as driven by the features and ergonomics.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    great defensive weapon, running through a mag is fun, 5.56 Nato is a good coyote round, the old saying of using your pistol to get back to a rifle is true, a semi-auto rifle is quicker than a bolt action rifle-shoot it's faster than a lever action, and you have more ammo at hand and is easier to reload, and because it's my right as an American. I'm sure there are other reasons, but if I were to own one these would be the reasons I would give.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    The appeal for me is purely spiteful.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    This is another great reason
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I bought my AK because it filled a desire I had to own one from the first time I saw one in 1965. I waited 40+ years to get it because there were other rifles I needed to get first. My first priority was to replace all the firearms I had lost, had stolen or gave away in the preceding years. The only reason I bought the AK was to have it, I will wait till someone gives me an AR.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I bought an SKS years ago because it was what I could afford and I wanted something that if it got messed up I wouldn't care much. It looked more like a "regular rifle" then than it does now.

I bought a M1 Garand that looks a lot like a "regular rifle" because they are great rifles, a part of our history and I loved the idea of our government mailing me a battle rifle through the mail.

I got an AR-15 because the trigger on the SKS sucked, the M1 was not fun to shoot for extended periods, and because someone told me I couldn't make a semi-auto as accurate as a bolt action (he was wrong). It is my favorite center fire rifle to shoot (my wood stocked, tube fed .22 is my overall favorite) as it is the most accurate, cheap to feed, reliable and has low recoil. What more could I want?

What do all 4 of these rifles have in common? Aside from whether the stock is plastic or wood, and how many rounds between reloading, they are all semi-automatic rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Well, that too.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sheckigreen View Post
    Yup, my fault on the "rifle" language use. My idea of a "regular rifle" is the old bolt action hunting rifle or something like that...
    As one of the uninitiated, when i think of AK47s and AR15s, I think of rambo shooting endless rounds from the hip with no aiming. Obviously I know thats not what you guys do (though im sure you do sometimes, as this looks very fun).
    The exact same question is asked by folks why gunners buy/desire 'high capacity' semi-automatics or 'high powered' .357 Magnum, .10mm, or even .45 ACP as opposed to revolvers chambered in .38.
    When fact is one can buy a revolver or SA to swallow any one of the above chamberings and that just because old is existant and works fine doesn't make newer, cooler, more efficient, and overall better to be unnecessary.

In fact why use a bolt action rifle when for hunting and even home defense a muzzle loaded black powder rifle obviously as based on historical and current hunter results works just fine?

Anti-gunners ask this question often, not to say you are an anti, and if life were as they think it should be then we'd all be driving new 40s and 50s style & deign carburated cars with extra passenger rumble seats and a choke for cold starts. Our airports would be filled with DC-10s and the Airforce using P51 Mustangs. Our wives would be getting us Pabst Blue Ribbon from the Kelvinator during football games where folks run around wearing thin leather 'helmets', and our dogs would all be large German shepards, yellow Labs, or Collies.
    Funny thing though is that the AK is a 50 yr.old design older than some 'regular' deisgn rifles and the AR is slightly older than I am, and yet they both remian relatively modern and relevant.

I don't yet own any rifle but will soon (before a ban kicks in) and it likely will be an AR variant, but only because a 40w phased plasma rifle hasn't yet made it to the MA firearms approval list. :p

- Janq likes old & new school stuff
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    In fact why use a bolt action rifle when for hunting and even home defense a muzzle loaded black powder rifle obviously as based on historical and current hunter results works just fine?
    Suitability to task. Try that against a coyote and miss, you're fine. Try that against a bear and miss, then that's where the improved feeding and reduced cycle times (of bolt-A, semi-autos, full-autos) and other ergonomic realities come home. Quickly, in that scenario. Same with two-legged predators. The same basic realities exist when comparing any competing features. Suitability to task.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Suitability to task. Try that against a coyote and miss, you're fine. Try that against a bear and miss, then that's where the improved feeding and reduced cycle times (of bolt-A, semi-autos, full-autos) and other ergonomic realities come home. Quickly, in that scenario. Same with two-legged predators. The same basic realities exist when comparing any competing features. Suitability to task.
    That's referred to as the "Darwin Marksmanship Program". If ya'ain't good enough to hit, ya better not fire! Second place is lunch!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links