The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general? - Page 3

The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

This is a discussion on The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Bushmaster is my "fun gun." I can spend a lot of time enjoying shooting without spending a lot of time reloading. It's light, easy ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    VIP Member
    My Bushmaster is my "fun gun." I can spend a lot of time enjoying shooting without spending a lot of time reloading. It's light, easy for me to disassemble and clean, and easy and accurate to shoot. If it comes to it, it can be a SHTF gun.

Mine's the 25th Anniversary Modular carbine with an EoTech 512 and Surefire M95 mounted on it.

Rats in the barn, beware!

Most of what I have are no-frills rifles or beaters. I have an AR because I can, because it's fun, and I enjoy having at least one gun with some bells n' whistles on it.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Love the "Deer Bazooka"
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Suitability to task. Try that against a coyote and miss, you're fine. Try that against a bear and miss, then that's where the improved feeding and reduced cycle times (of bolt-A, semi-autos, full-autos) and other ergonomic realities come home. Quickly, in that scenario. Same with two-legged predators. The same basic realities exist when comparing any competing features. Suitability to task.
    Antis and those who know little would retort don't miss or as much worked fine for folks who hunted wolf, coyote, and allmanner of bear back in the day.
    Ignoring or ignorant of how many persons missed or wounded an animal only to be chased down and mauled/killed.

Black powder muzzle loaders are suitable for the coyote & bear task, although technology has allowed us wider margin of safety as well as efficiency toward a task. This applies across the board and up to two legged predators as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Antis and those who know little would retort don't miss or as much worked fine for folks who hunted wolf, coyote, and all manner of bear back in the day.
    And what the heck are they doing on the INTERNET?! Shouldn't they be busying chiseling their tripe via a crudely fashioned hammer and pointy rock into a piece of granite?

After all, it worked fine for people back in the day.

It's just so hard sometimes to not simply say, "YOU ARE AN IDIOT" to these people.

VIP Member
    Betty, nice set up. I have the same optics and light (including dual-use tailcap!) on my M4. Wish I had a railed gas-block instead of the stardard front sights, but the EOTech cowitnesses with the iron sights (GG&G BUIS on the back) pretty well. Within 100m (or farther, on a good day), that set up is as close to perfection as I've found yet.

Also, I'm putting that same gear on a Colt 9mm SMG, but with the fixed carrying handle, I have to use a cantilever mount and this looks pretty odd on such a short barreled weapon. Better than having it mounted a foot and a half above the bore though... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Regular rifle is like a open ended box wrench, pretty standard gets the job done.

AR, AK Etc is like a ratchet and socket, just another tool, gets the job done a bit quicker

My tool box has SAE & Metric wrenches and sockets... why not my gun safe?

???

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    To me at least pretty is as pretty does . Go shoot a few of them and then report back to us as to how good or bad you find them .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The proper use for a handgun is to fight your way to your rifle. (AR / AK)
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think if Thomas Jefferson were alive he'd trade his old musket for a scary black rifle. You just keep buyin' guns that are okayed by the democrazis and I'll buy the ones our fore fathers wanted me to have. We are not free unless the government leaves us the power to oppose them. Not that there will ever be a need but it's the security blanket for your liberties.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swedgin View Post
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were alive he'd trade his old musket for a scary black rifle. You just keep buyin' guns that are okayed by the democrazis and I'll buy the ones our fore fathers wanted me to have. We are not free unless the government leaves us the power to oppose them. Not that there will ever be a need but it's the security blanket for your liberties.
    I aggree with you. I have a hard time understanding where those that try to tell us that the Founders never concidered a multi-round weapon would ever exist, in spite of the fact that hundreds of years before the constitution the chinese developed a mulit round weapon, Da Vinci had a design in his notebooks, and even the Ancient Romans had a Balista that was pretty close to a full-auto weapon.

The Founders truely believed that the government should be afraid of the populace...not the other way around. It's not that any of us want to overthrow the government though.

Since we are citizens and not subjects our Founders would expect us to have the state of the art weapons in private hands.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by swedgin View Post
    If TJ were alive AND we still had the limited govt he and his colleagues constituted, we would have better, cheaper weapons than are available at this time. Being a wealthy man, I'm sure he would have state-of-the-art, high tech surface-to-surface and surface-to-air rackets, perhaps a few combat aircraft, etc. Everyone else (us not-so-rich folks) would have full-auto military weapons. After all, you have to keep the politicians in line, right?

The founding fathers never intended the central govt to be able to impose tyranny on the people.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Theyre fun to shoot, and very good defense weapons.

If I am ever involved in a serious situation, may I only be so lucky as to have one of my Ar's or Ak's with me at the time.
    Fear No Evil.

Just wanted to contribute to the thread :)

Nothing more fun and useful than a good, reliable, lightweight carbine.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I love to shoot mine i have 2 for compitition 1 for home defensea nd 2 full auto that are just a blast. and if my state would allow them for hunting i would buy one of the DPMS's in 300rem saum. they are regular rifles the problem is the main stream thinks they are assulat rifles when no one can really define one... my MP5 9mm in full auto could be an assualt rifle, but its not so that term is useless. their fun accurate reliable and oh yeah really fun............
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I don't own an assault rifle. None of my weapons have ever assaulted, nor been used in an assault, nor will they ever be used in an assault.
    Assault is an action, not a device.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links