The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

This is a discussion on The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; assault is an action, but an assault rifle is a device. It is a term that describes a specific tool, that few of us have. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

VIP Member
    assault is an action, but an assault rifle is a device. It is a term that describes a specific tool, that few of us have. It is a select fire rifle chambered for a round that falls between normal rifle and pistol caliber. But then, I think that has already been said. If I assault you with a Stevens 200, it still isn't an assault rifle, just a rifle that was used in an assault. The action has nothing to do with the machine.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

2. Remove Ads

The AR-15 or Ak-47 are the most common rifles in the world! How could you get a more "regular rifle"? Go to your local gun club and watch a AR-15 competition, they are fun and take A LOT of skill and practice. The AR-15 is one of the most versatile rifles out there and can be anything from a pistol to a long range masterpiece. I'm really glad to hear you ask, rather than assume. I always wonder why shoot a old blackpowder gun like they used in the old days. Then I went and shot one.......just cool!!! I'd like to make one now.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My AK47 just simply works, no matter what type of ammo or AK mags I use. It's definitely my first choice in a SHTF rifle. The simplicity of use and ease of cleaning just makes it so much better, and is fairly accurate out to 300 yards, plus they're just fun to shoot. I also personally think its a great looking gun too!

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post
    My AK47 just simply works, no matter what type of ammo or AK mags I use. It's definitely my first choice in a SHTF rifle. The simplicity of use and ease of cleaning just makes it so much better, and is fairly accurate out to 300 yards, plus they're just fun to shoot. I also personally think its a great looking gun too!
    Exactly...

Plus, they are exotic; that's the reason why I own an NDM-86 in 308. Sure a G3 clone would have been cheaper and done essentially the same thing but an SVD is just sexier.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderdude View Post

Nice Romy!
    They(AK's) do look great, don't they!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I love my AK.

You ever notice how it looks so benign when you don't have a magazine in it?

But when you do put a 30 rounder in. . . .well. . . .it looks sinister.

That was enough for me to buy mine.

Definitely my go to gun.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I love my AK.

You ever notice how it looks so benign when you don't have a magazine in it?

But when you do put a 30 rounder in. . . .well. . . .it looks sinister.

That was enough for me to buy mine.

Definitely my go to gun.

Oh, yes. I made myself wait a couple of months to be sure it wasn't an impulse buy, but after the first trip to the range with it, I wish I'd gotten an AK a looong time ago - fun and really solid feeling, even if it's a lowly WASR-10. Makes me almost wish I lived out in the country so I could have a truck to throw it in the back of... here in the city I don't think it'd be a good idea to have in the trunk though, might give the PD the wrong idea if I got stopped!

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    Oh, yes. I made myself wait a couple of months to be sure it wasn't an impulse buy, but after the first trip to the range with it, I wish I'd gotten an AK a looong time ago - fun and really solid feeling, even if it's a lowly WASR-10. Makes me almost wish I lived out in the country so I could have a truck to throw it in the back of... here in the city I don't think it'd be a good idea to have in the trunk though, might give the PD the wrong idea if I got stopped!

Love the picture. Looks exactly like mine.

As for giving the PD the wrong idea, you're right there. I read recently where a lot of different officers had inquired about the posibility of having an AK as their patrol rifle but were told that it looks too much like a terrorists weapon and would probably upset the citizenry.

Guess I'll just have to learn to limit my AK use to the range.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I am in the market for a AR-15 to use as a SHTF weapon. I will get it sometime before GW is out of office!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links