The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

This is a discussion on The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you guys collect these for collection purposes? Do you shoot them a lot? What is the benefit of having, say, a new ar-15? Are ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

The Appeal of AR-15, AK47s, Assault rifles in general?

Do you guys collect these for collection purposes? Do you shoot them a lot? What is the benefit of having, say, a new ar-15? Are you sort of preparing for a SHTF situation? Or is it just fun to shoot them? Why not a regular rifle?

Just trying to see the appeal of them, besides just being really cool looking, etc.

2. Remove Ads

It is a great self defense weapon!! You don't take a pistol to a gun fight. You take a weapon!! Steve48

What is a regular rifle? IMO, a rifle is a rifle, be it a 10/22, Winchester 70, AR-15, Barrett... etc. Each rifle is different, which allows anyone to choose a rifle that fits them best. People who want to put lead in the air, a semi-auto / full-auto capable rifle would fit them. People who like to take only a few slow, relaxing, shots, bolt action rifle for them.

For me, I like all rifles. AR-15 for those times when I'm a little worked up. Bolt action for when I just want to have a lazy shooting day.

Senior Moderator
    1) they are fun to shoot,

What is a regular rifle?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by sheckigreen View Post
    Do you guys collect these for collection purposes? Do you shoot them a lot? What is the benefit of having, say, a new ar-15? Are you sort of preparing for a SHTF situation? Or is it just fun to shoot them? Why not a regular rifle?
    AR and AK type rifles are regular rifles.

Personally, I bought m EBR for home defense. I live in an apartment, so in a self defense situation I was concerned about an errant round going through the wall and endangering a neighbor. A .223 rifle with frangible ammo seemed like the best compromise between effectiveness and reduced risk penetration.

VIP Member
    Do you guys collect these for collection purposes? Do you shoot them a lot? What is the benefit of having, say, a new ar-15? Are you sort of preparing for a SHTF situation? Or is it just fun to shoot them?
    All the above is the correct answer. We, as Americans, are lucky to be able to choose from a wide variety of "tools"...why not avail yourself of the opportunity?

As far as the appeal of AR-15 vs. Regular Rifle, lets go back to the "Ginger vs. Maryanne" scenario:

Maryanne = "regular rifle"...dependable, low maintenance, inexpensive to operate...

Ginger = "AR-15"...sexy, high maintenance, expensive to feed and keep happy...but lots of fun to operate...

Mrs. Howell = The beat up ugly old musket that you found in GrandPaps attic.
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 13th, 2007 at 09:45 PM.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Just trying to see the appeal of them, besides just being really cool looking, etc.
    Is it their semi auto action or the fact that they're scarry looking that makes you think they are not "regular rifles"
    I'm just curious if you would concider popular semi-auto rifles like the remington 750 an irregular rifle since it's also a gas operated semi-auto.
    Attached Images
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

The AR15 (and clones) are solid, fun to shoot, reliable semi-auto firearms with a world of accessories available, in a popular medium power cartridge. They can be easily configured for everything from benchrest shooting to tin can plinking. Ammunition is fairly inexpensive, and readily available for just about any application. They are an excellent choice for any number of uses, including target shooting, self defense, and varmint hunting.

An assault rifle is a select fire rifle sized between a full power battle rifle and a pistol caliber sub-machine gun. Due to the artificially inflated pricing caused by U.S. government interference in what is supposed to be a free economy, assault rifles are priced way out of my budget.

The only difference between what the brady bunch is calling 'assault weapons' and millions of more 'traditional' firearms is a synthetic stock. Once they ban this batch of politically incorrect firearms, they'll move on to the next batch. Note that Brady herself was recently quoted as saying that a scope makes a rifle into a 'sniper rifle', and should not be available to the public... They'll not be satisfied until we are plinking at the range with slingshots.

Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

AR-15s and AR-10s are good, reliable rifles, and a lot of fun to shoot. They're excellent for a wide range of uses, from personal defense, to target shooting and plinking, to hunting. They are "regular" rifles, just have a distinctive appearance, since they look like the weapons used by our military and a lot of our allies.

Keep in mind that the designation "AR" comes from the original manufacturer, Armalite, and does not stand for "assault rifle". As has been mentioned, it's not an assault rifle, which would have select fire or full auto capabilities.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Lead Moderator
    Fun guns to shoot, also good for defense.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My two semi-auto rifles are probably my two most fired centerfire rifles. (the .22 wins most fired hands down). Ammo is relatively inexpensive, and they are fun to shoot. If there was a defense situation where I had time to grab a rifle, I would reach for one of them first.

Is my Mini-14 (stainless with black composite stock) a regular rifle? Would it be if it was instead blued with wood?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I think you've pretty well gotten the answer! In all honesty, there are rifles, shotguns and pistols, and (barring ClassIII, or other exotica) you really can't differentiate too much more, in practical terms. The HCI crowd is intelligent enough to realize that folks with $2000+ to spend on double-barreled duck guns, are probably politically active as well, the 18-25 yo with their SKS/AK probably isn't.

Its all sport, at this point. Bottom line: any hunting arm is designed to kill; military-style arms simply offer more rounds on target in the same amount of time (provided you can shoot either a bolt or the semi-auto competently). It makes no difference to me- if I need a defensive arm, whatever I have will do, but the semi- performs its loading operation without me having to think about it. I can concentrate on important things- like running and/or ducking.

Talk to anyone living within 50 miles of our southern border- this is becoming less and less "academic" each day. My dad used to think I was a "gun nut". He's lived the past 9 years in south TX. He doesn't go around his property armed to ward off stray doggies. He doesn't chuckle indulgently at my AK either.

Yup, my fault on the "rifle" language use. My idea of a "regular rifle" is the old bolt action hunting rifle or something like that. Point taken. And of course, I was not in the least bit criticising those who own these...i think they are cool as hell and would like to get one sometime.

As one of the uninitiated, when i think of AK47s and AR15s, I think of rambo shooting endless rounds from the hip with no aiming. Obviously I know thats not what you guys do (though im sure you do sometimes, as this looks very fun).

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    My AK is mostly for training. If for some reason there isn't a working M-16, 249, or 240 around, there might be a few AKs lying around that I might borrow. A firefight does not seem the appropriate time to learn to use a new weapon so practicing on the most common battle weapon in the world seemed prudent.
    The Army doesn't supply me with an AK and range time so I went and got my own.
    My AR, I got it "just in case". I don't anticipate needing it for any real purpose, but it's good to have anyway. Until then, it's fun to shoot and helps me make up lost range time since I left the infantry.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Moderator
    I really don't shoot from the hip.

My M-1 carbine would be very easy too, My FAL is not a hip shooter. The FAL is used for hunting the carbine just for fun.

Plus to me the fun does not equal the ammo spent when I practice spraying and praying.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links