Affordable light for AR?

Affordable light for AR?

This is a discussion on Affordable light for AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to mount a light for less than $200 on a rail on my hand guard for a home self defense rifle. What would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Affordable light for AR?

Affordable light for AR?

I want to mount a light for less than $200 on a rail on my hand guard for a home self defense rifle.

What would you recommend?
    C Bennett likes this.

For that price range it's tough to beat one of the Streamlight TR Series:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8Q31UQ/...l_8x9qmfasjy_b

But I just bought another SureFire X300 Ultra for just over $200 a couple months ago. I've got 4 SureFire weapon lights and a bunch of their handhelds. Never had an issue with any of them.

Here's a X300 Ultra for $207:
    Amazon.com : Surefire Ultra High Ouput LED Weaponlight, Black : Tactical Flashlights : Home Improvement

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Senior Moderator
    Streamlight TR series is certainly an option.

You could also just buy a handheld surefire and mounting ring, and go that route. I had an old G2 laying around that I did that with. Something like that is probably about the least expensive route to go.
    StormRhydr, rocky and Phaedrus like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I have done the same as Buckeye 45. I have good results with streamlight poly tac and sure fire g 2 lights
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Inforce WML. They have a few versions but generally run in the $120-$150 range. Reliable, good looking, and ergonomic. I would also endorse any of the Streamlight products.

WML White LED Flashlight - Sand | Weapon Light | INFORCE®
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Yep, what buckeye .45 said. I took an old G2, bought a $5.00 300 lumen bulb for it and have a simple attachment for it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Streamlight TR series is certainly an option.

You could also just buy a handheld surefire and mounting ring, and go that route. I had an old G2 laying around that I did that with. Something like that is probably about the least expensive route to go.

Senior Moderator
    FWIW, I have also never been one to get too caught up in making sure that my WML has an output of ~957643 gillion lumens. Anything from surefire, streamlight or I assume inforce (I just haven't tried one, so I can't say for sure), is going to be bright enough for most situations.

I have found that incandescent bulbs generally have a bit more "throw" to them than LED's. LED's have their own advantages when it comes to durability, and run time.
    rocky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Lead Moderator
    I will disagree with the led to incadecent output or throw. The bezel reflector design or depth seems to affect this more than type of bulb. All things Equal I do see more "throw" , but not much from non led.
    Here are the two examples of lights I own , the first is a poly tac HP , second is a m6 light/laser . I don't have a incadecent pic to compare. Note the brighter, longer reach of the poly tac with deeper reflector. These pics are about 50 yards on my range to the berm .
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    FWIW, I have also never been one to get too caught up in making sure that my WML has an output of ~957643 gillion lumens. Anything from surefire, streamlight or I assume inforce (I just haven't tried one, so I can't say for sure), is going to be bright enough for most situations.

I have found that incandescent bulbs generally have a bit more "throw" to them than LED's. LED's have their own advantages when it comes to durability, and run time.
    How many lumens for home self defense? 200 or 500?

Sheeze.... I guess I am cheap

I use this type (Cree) and attach via a scope ring

5w Cree Q5 450 Lumens Cree Led Torch Zoomable Cree LED High Lumens Taschenlampen Attack Tail Emergency Hammer Camping Waterproof LED Flashlight Torch Light (flashlight only) - - Amazon.com

It IS just as good as the $200 setup.... for about $30

Been out in all weather hunting at night, and I carry extra batteries

Have never been let down
    elmacgyver0 likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dean1818 View Post
    Sheeze.... I guess I am cheap

I use this type (Cree) and attach via a scope ring

5w Cree Q5 450 Lumens Cree Led Torch Zoomable Cree LED High Lumens Taschenlampen Attack Tail Emergency Hammer Camping Waterproof LED Flashlight Torch Light (flashlight only) - - Amazon.com

It IS just as good as the $200 setup.... for about $30

Been out in all weather hunting at night, and I carry extra batteries

Have never been let down
    For me, personally, I would prefer something with a tail mounted on/off switch, as that allows me to momentarily activate the light as needed, with my hands in their normal firing position.

How many lumens for home self defense? 200 or 500?
    I'm the wrong person to ask that to, as I would be fine with either.
    rocky likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The Surefire G2X looks like a great solution. Thanks!

Lead Moderator
    I have used magpul light scout mount, v tac and scope rings. I like the solid mounting of the v tac best.
    sammage likes this.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    Inforce weapon light ......$129.00
    Thorntail mount......$50.00

Twenty one bucks left over for a small supply of CR123A batteries.
    Phaedrus likes this.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I will disagree with the led to incadecent output or throw. The bezel reflector design or depth seems to affect this more than type of bulb. All things Equal I do see more "throw" , but not much from non led.
    Here are the two examples of lights I own , the first is a poly tac HP , second is a m6 light/laser . I don't have a incadecent pic to compare. Note the brighter, longer reach of the poly tac with deeper reflector. These pics are about 50 yards on my range to the berm .
    I will disagree with your disagreement
    Granted, it's been maybe 7-8 years, but Surefire directly told me to go with one of their incandescent models if I wanted more penetration and distance. My little G2 (I think it is) will light up the trees 50 yds away.
    Maybe LED's have gotten better since then. All things being equal (price point and batteries required).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links