first AR-15 for a novice?

This is a discussion on first AR-15 for a novice? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I'm not quite sure why I'm not getting a strong itch to learn how to shoot/maintain (and eventually purchase) my first AR-15 type ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first AR-15 for a novice?

Hi all,

I'm not quite sure why I'm not getting a strong itch to learn how to shoot/maintain (and eventually purchase) my first AR-15 type rifle, but I have the itch bad.

Maybe it's the looming new AWB that I pray never becomes law, or maybe I just want to upset the gun-hating lawmakers, or maybe I want to further exercize my 2nd Amendment rights, or maybe I'd like to in some way honor the courageous soldiers who use these every day to defend me and my family, or maybe it's just because they seem so damn fun to shoot!

Whatever the reason, I'd like to start by researching their basic operation, maintenance requirements, cleaning supplies, accessories, ammo, etc. What resources are there on the Internet that have really good information/guides for novice AR-15 shooters? Something that is well-written that really goes into the in's and out's of AR's?

The shooting club I recently joined has a 250 yard rifle range and they offer very good classes on shooting these types of weapons. I definitely plan on taking a course like this (hopefully before I even purchase an AR-15).

I'd also like your opinions on which specific (brand and model) AR-15 you'd recommend for a beginner. Keep in mind I like a quality gun that will last me a long time. I don't forsee myself purchasing any other AR-15's, so one will have to do it. What's a good do-it-all AR-15 that would fit my requirements? Right now, I don't have a price range in mind, but keep it reasonable.

Thanks a lot for your time. I look forward to your replies.

Oh, and if you have any other suggestions for a first-time AR owner/shooter, I'm all ears.

Chris

JT
    Here’s a good source…

http://www.ar15.com/forums/

There is an article section, in addition to the forum. You just have to be thick skinned if you post any questions. There are some jerks there that will berate you for not using the search feature, if they think your question has been asked too many times.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Rock River Arms A2 for a first time AR.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Young View Post
    Ditto...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

There's a really good book out there, entitled: The Gun Digest Book of the AR-15, by Patrick Sweeney. For an AR-15 noob (uh, that would be me), it's pretty good. Decent coverage of the history, tear down and maintenance, operating the gun, alterations.

BTW, I just picked up a lefty Stag 15/3L. Nice gun. IMO, the AR-15 isn't a beginner rifle. One is on more simple/complex than the next, so there are no real advantages there.

If concerned, I'm sure most folks at the range would be happy to let you run a few magazines' worth through their guns, if you're interested and looking. That might help with selection. Otherwise, any of the quality makers would do: Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, Stag, Olympic and a couple others. AR15.com is a good place to root around.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the one mentioned.

I would not build my own first AR unless funds are really low
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Lead Moderator
    Any of the bigger names should suit ya fine. Do some reading on AR15.com.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Enlist - you'll learn all about the AR series!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

i agree as well as the BUSHMASTER stay away from colt i had 2 of them and traded both.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a very nice DPMS.

As far as ar15.com goes, lurk awhile before you start asking questions, and try the search functions (it doesn't always work).

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    i agree as well as the BUSHMASTER stay away from colt i had 2 of them and traded both.
    huh? you had a problem with Colt? now sure I understand.

I, so far, have no problem with the complete Bushmaster I bought nor the RRA upper that I just received. Seem well made and both carriers were staked well and fit and finish was excellent.

Have no problems at all with the Colt Match Target either. Except the price that is. It is a tad better but not by a whole lot that I can tell. But it serves a different purpose anyway.

I would go with a http://www.slr15.com
    These are designed and built by people in the field who depend upon their weapons to be reliable and to save their lives.
    I too thought this was a bunch of mumble jumble until I had the opportunity to sit down and take one apart, train and shoot with one.
    A lot of thought has gone into the design of these and corners were not cut. Forged uppers and lowers, enhanced bolts and extraction systems to name a few. And for the price it's not that much more to get quality. They will be coming out with a new rifle soon that will truely change the way people look at and train with AR15's. I had the opportunity to shoot a prototype and I can just say....I am on the waiting list once they roll out!
    Now alot of you might say...."well I never heard of them".......need I remind you about another company 20yrs ago that revolutionized the automatic.....they too were new....and their name was Glock.

Any AR15 is fine for a beginner. The rifles are actually fairly simple to breakdown and maintain.....CLP goes a long way towards keeping them running smoothly.
    I would recommend a Rock River Arms Elite CAR A4 (Pete at Legal transfers in NH will take care of you http://ar15sales.com/index.htm), but if you go another route (Bushmaster, CMMG, Armalite, Colt, or any of the dozens of makers out there) make sure you go with a mid length, get the .223/5.56, and get a chrome lined barrel. (RRA ECARA4's from Pete come with a Wylde chamber which will accept both the .223 and the mil spec 5.56, and chrome lined barrels.)

You won't regret getting one, they are loads of fun.

Thanks so much for all the information! I have a lot of stuff to consider! I appreciate it.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links