Thoughts on a pre-'94 Colt H-Bar?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a pre-'94 Colt H-Bar? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The LGS has a lightly used pre-94 "pre-ban" Colt H-Bar AR-15 sporter for $999. Seems to be almost an exact clone of an A2. Does ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bubbatime
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Thoughts on a pre-'94 Colt H-Bar?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

The LGS has a lightly used pre-94 "pre-ban" Colt H-Bar AR-15 sporter for $999. Seems to be almost an exact clone of an A2. Does anybody have one of these? How do they shoot? The lack of a removeable carry handle nor a bunch of rails is NOT negatives. Your thoughts please. Thanks.

If it has the non standard trigger pins and screw in pivot pin nonsense I would avoid just based on that alone.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Lifetime NRA member

Senior Moderator
    Considering a current 6920 can be found new for around $900 these days, I wouldn't get too interested. The H-bar doesn't add a whole lot to accuracy at the end of the day, IMO.
    patri0t and StormRhydr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I had two and still have one. Very accurate, sub MOA. The HBAR is slightly more heavy than I like, preferring the A2 barrel profile. Noting wrong with them. Just in today's market its not a good deal. It probably has the larger trigger pins but they are easy to find, mine has a CMC trigger assembly. Not like you'd be handicapped by the pin size. I had to remove the hardened steel block pinned into the trigger area and that was a pain.

big deal is this ..just be use it is pre 94 don't mean much ..colt went PC why before that ...even before 94 they were taking bayonet lugs off of guns etc ..if it has a bayonet lug on the original upper then yes maybe worth it they stop that in the early 80s so the HBAR with a bayonet lug are pretty rare now and worth more

No bayo lug just buy a new one imop you don't need pre 94 in CO

They are great guns

Also PS make sure it does not have a sear block also
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Thanks!

What is a sear block?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Thanks!

What is a sear block?

When colt got all PC back in the 90s they put what they called a sear block in there guns to make it harder to use full auto sears etc ...Just colt being idots not a legal thing they needed to do .. Just makes it suck more if you have a RIADS

Also some match and custom triggers wont work in a sear block gun and will need to be drilled out https://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide/ will have good photos and what to look for

If it is a older matching gun then it should not have a true sear block

if it is marked SP1 on the gun then Colt AR-15 Serial Number List https://bpullignwolnet.dotster.com/r...de/CivGde.html are good guids to what to look for
    WebleyHunter likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Cool! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Cool! Thanks.
    If you like I posted about one I had and handled a while back if you want to throw up some more pics .. Mine was a earlys 80s one .. Org bayo lug and no block .. The way they should be

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    I had a Colt HBAR for years, but found I preferred the balance of the 'pencil barrel' better and was more accurate with the lighter barrel.
    My Colt 6720 came with the pencil barrel and the MaTech sights, which I have really grown fond of over the years.
    I agree with gasmitty regarding the $900 price tag of the older Colt, its a bit higher than the cost of a new Colt AR; I don't see the value.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links