Hi Point carbine

Hi Point carbine

This is a discussion on Hi Point carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am seeing some HiPoint carbines that look really good. Camo colors, 9mm availability. Anyone have any dealings with one? Ever own a HiPoint rifle? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Hi Point carbine

Hi Point carbine

I am seeing some HiPoint carbines that look really good. Camo colors, 9mm availability. Anyone have any dealings with one? Ever own a HiPoint rifle? I am thinking of trying to pick up one for a HD gun.

Joe

Distinguished Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Not too much wrong with HiPoint from what I hear except their pistols are big and ugly.

I have a Hipoint 9mm carbine. Bought 1.5 yrs ago new.

Its a lot of fun. It is dependable. I have fired all the junk ammo I could find trying to make it fail, and it handles it all fine.

As far as HD goes, Id go with a decent grade AR 15, over the Hipoint. The ONE problem that I have had with the hipoint, is seating the mags.

Its been difficult in ways that I dont think it should be. I generally slap mags home with force. Which works on everything else I have shot.

The Hipoint magwell on mine is such that slapping the mag in flush with the palm of your hand often (often enough), APPEARS to seat the mag, but does not.

You release the bolt, (thinking you have a live round now chambered), and it goes click, and the mag drops out. Or worse, doesnt drop out, and you are left to figure out whats going on.

At crunch time you dont want to think that you have seated a mag, and find out the hard way that that is not the case.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I have to agree with StormRhyder above! I think that either an entry level AR (MP-15 Sport) or a used Mini-14 would serve your HD purposes better. If you are really set on a pistol caliber carbine look for a used Ruger PC-9 or PC-40 or even the Kel Tec Sub-2000 that uses the Glock magazines they are proven designs and have high capacity magazines available. Good luck!
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NC CWP, LEOSA Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I've got a 9mm carbine and though it's accurate, eats everything and is a lot of fun, I only consider it a range toy and would opt for my AR if it's time to grab a long gun.

BTW, you read many reports about the aftermarket ProMag 15rd magazines not working right. I have 5 and all have functioned perfectly.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I purchased a Hi-Point 4595TS carbine about two years ago in .45ACP. Runs like a Swiss Watch,over 2,000rnds through it with No Problems. Way more accurate than me all the way out to 100 YDS. Great Weapon!!!.

Cheep and they work ...but they suuuuuck so much to clean google cleaning one and you will see ..also 10 round only mags yes 15 rounders are out there but pro mag so either they work or they suck

I
    I don't own guns that are insane leave cleaning so I don't own one
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    I purchased a Hi-Point 4595TS carbine about two years ago in .45ACP. Runs like a Swiss Watch,over 2,000rnds through it with No Problems. Way more accurate than me all the way out to 100 YDS. Great Weapon!!!.
    BIG like because I've never seen someone post a pic of their HP Carbine

I've read nothing but good things about them here. Maybe clear back to the OP's join date.

Have guns, some hi-points and they are great guns. Never fail to shoot or go bang. Carbines are a heck of a lot of fun at the range!
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Would be great if they were made to take glock mags......

They are a good buy as I bought 40 cal for my son to match his Glock.It just goes bang every time.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
    I am seeing some HiPoint carbines that look really good. Camo colors, 9mm availability. Anyone have any dealings with one? Ever own a HiPoint rifle? I am thinking of trying to pick up one for a HD gun.

Joe
    I have the model 995TS. It runs great for me. I have a simple Truglo red dot on it, and it will shoot a ragged hole at 30 yards...with Federal 115 grain aluminum cased ammo. Can't beat that.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Here is a picture of my 995TS Carbine by Hi Point:

If you get the chance to pick one up, do it. Hi Points are fugly, but they work. JMHO.
    The Old Anglo and PAcanis like this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Agree with all of the above. A lot of fun, utterly reliable, and accurate. What's not to like? Some say it's ugly. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    --Wyatt Earp

Have a 4595. Very accurate. Shoots everything I put in the mag so far. Got some 14 rnd mags for it. Very little recoil. Get a cheek pad tho as it tends to scrape the face a little.
    rugergunner likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links