Tavor Rifle

This is a discussion on Tavor Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; QKShooter posted a thread about the Galil. While I like the Galil, I like the Tavor even more....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tavor Rifle

VIP Member

Tavor Rifle

QKShooter posted a thread about the Galil. While I like the Galil, I like the Tavor even more.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the link dr...

Im not a big fan of bullpup designs. They are funtional,I just think that they are ugly.

The Galil on the other hand, just looks good. Ive always wanted one.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

That host becomes more over dramitic with each episode.

VIP Member
    Looks like a handy little rifle, though I’ve never been a big fan of bullpups…A few things in the clip bothered me, however:

They called the M16 a “machine gun.” Technically, I suppose, that M16s capable of full-auto fire are “machine guns,” but the military typically reserves that nomenclature for weapons designed to fire full-auto as their primary function.

They called the M16 a “long” rifle (while showing pictures of mainly M4s). The M4, while admittedly longer than the Tavor, is MUCH shorter than most other assault/battle rifles.

They said the Tavor was “as accurate as a sniper rifle.” The guy hitting a “head and shoulders” steel plate at 300m doesn’t mean the weapon is capable of M24/M40/SR25 accuracy, especially beyond 300m. If it is that accurate, I would worry about the tolerances being tighter than they should for optimum reliability.

They said that, because the optics were permanently attached, that soldiers could “fire immediately, without having to waste valuable time lining it up.” What are they saying, that a red-dot that is mounted on a rail rather than being permanently attached is somehow slower to acquire? That’s just silly. And, of course, now you have no options as far as optics go, which is a downside in my opinion (though I did notice a small ACOG mounted behind the integral optic during one of the demonstrations). I think the optics power being attached to the safety is interesting, and has some merit. However, there are many times in combat when you want to have your weapon (and your sights) covering someone without disengaging your safety. Other than that, it’s an interesting concept.

They equated a high cyclic rate of fire to being “quick” with the weapon, somehow indicating that the ability to shoot many bullets quickly translated into the ability to shoot quickly - as in shoot first - and as we all know these two things are completely unrelated.

Other observations – the weapon seems “tall,” especially towards the rear. The optics are mounted pretty high. The charging handle is waaay out by the muzzle, which could be dangerous if someone flags their hand(s) while trying to manipulate the handle.

Of course, I’m speculating on much of this, having never handled the weapon… I hope it works out well for the IDF, and fills the roles that they want it to fill successfully.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    One thing about the IDF, Im sure that they'll get to try it in actual conditons fairly quick..
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I would LOVE to own a Tavor. If I could Afford it.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It would make a great pick up gun and you could conceal it fairly easy under a duster or a man bag if you needed to. There's room in my safe for one.

While I like "Future Weapon's" that guy is annoying. I'd rather listen to R. Lee Ermy any day.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    A friend of mine is importing a few, hope to get to handle one before he sends it off to the customer.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    A friend of mine is importing a few, hope to get to handle one before he sends it off to the customer.
    Colin, do you have any idea what the price on one is? Curiosity only, I am sure I can't afford one.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'll see how well these do in the next couple years of service.

Right now, the only 5.56 rifle that I'm impressed with is the G36.

Nice rifle. Love to see one up close.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Many many designs are going to the bull pup style. A bull pup is better and quicker at close quarters(urban environments). A long gun still has better stability for long range.

FN P90
    Tavor
    Chinese type-95
    F 2000 MODU
    Steyr aug

Did I miss any? I have a Arisoft P90 (yea its a toy, couldn't get the real thing) and it Is very quick at changing targets. A longer Stace is better for long range. How many bull pup sniper rifles are there?

P.S. IMHO
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Well, it seems to me that the bullpup design could actually create a sniper rifle with a barrel that is darn near the length of the entire rifle. Even if only 20" of barrel is sticking out there could be 10"-18" internal giving a 38" barrel.

I would figure that there is a break-even point where you can have too much barrel for a given round.

Just musing on a topic that I know very little about. Please take it as such. :)

Ron
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Moderator
    I've liked the idea of a bullpup but I have never shot one. It's purely the "cool" factor until I try one out. I would like to try the new Kel-Tec Bullpup in .308
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaScout View Post
    Well, it seems to me that the bullpup design could actually create a sniper rifle with a barrel that is darn near the length of the entire rifle. Even if only 20" of barrel is sticking out there could be 10"-18" internal giving a 38" barrel.
    There are a few sniper rifles like this. The best known is probably the Walther WA2000. Most bullpup sniper rifles are large caliber anti-material rifles like the Barrett M90 & M95, the Steyr IWS 2000. This is probably because a very long barrel is necessary to get maximum performance from a large caliber cartridge, and putting it in the bullpup package helps keep the overall length of the weapon manageable (not that any AMR is what you would call, 'handy').

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links