Buis question

Buis question

This is a discussion on Buis question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question that might be a bit weird but will a decent AR sight (eg. Magpul BUIS) hold its zero if you take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Buis question

VIP Member

Buis question

I have a question that might be a bit weird but will a decent AR sight (eg. Magpul BUIS) hold its zero if you take it off and put it back on?
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Lead Moderator
    May not hold absolute zero , but it should be close. It will depend on tolerances on mounting it I would imagine.
    Jaeger likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

My Magpul BUIS's have held zero after removal and re-installation several times.

As Rocky said though mounting tolerances and also what you consider "zero" . My zero with backup's is a paper plate at 100yds

If everything is well made and you return it to the same place... its supposed to.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    If you put it in the exact same spot on the rail then it should keep zero. My scopes and EOTech even keep zero after taking them off and putting back on.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Good to hear. I'm considering putting a sight on the front and storing the rear (after being zeroed ) in the grip...
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

los
    You should be good, specially with aluminum or steel made sights. Just make sure no one tampers with the buis while they're off the stick.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array patri0t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Good to hear. I'm considering putting a sight on the front and storing the rear (after being zeroed ) in the grip...
    Be sure to pack the rear buis while in the grip so it is immobilized. Also, it may be worthwhile to put a mark on the rail so it can be remounted in the same, exact position.
    My buis and optics all hold zero 'if' mounted in the exact position as they were removed from to within 3 MOA.
    However, I never fully trust any of them until I put a few test rounds through after remounting, but they have been staying within the 3 MOA range.
    atctimmy and molleur like this.
    Retired Deputy- State Trooper (38 long years) 8 yrs RTO - MS Degree- Criminology
    Gun Control measures are Unconstitutional Infringements. Period.
    "...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Should hold a zero to get you out of trouble, a better option is to use your eye as a rear sight
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

VIP Member
    Yeah, just a front sight would work at handgun distances. I'm just examining my options.

What's the advantage of keeping a rear sight in the grip? Why not fold it down? The grip is a good place for spare red dot batteries.
    DingBat likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    What's the advantage of keeping a rear sight in the grip? Why not fold it down? The grip is a good place for spare red dot batteries.
    I'm just in the thought experiment stage now. The BUIS takes several rail spaces and I prefer to mount the RDS as far rearward as I can, close to my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I'm just in the thought experiment stage now. The BUIS takes several rail spaces and I prefer to mount the RDS as far rearward as I can, close to my eye.
    have you shot a lot of RDS sights? I had the same thought when I installed my Tritium Meprolight on my TAVOR. I wanted it close. I've shot scoped rifles since I was a kid, and it made sense. The few times I shot freinds' guns with an RDS I found myself wwishing I could get closer. Then I got my own on my own gun (finally) and after shooting a lot I realized that by moving the RDS further down it allows a much greater field of peripheral vision, w/out hurting target acquisition or field of view thru the optic. a win/win. I've seen guys (especially Ausiie's ??) mount an RDS clear at the far end in place of the front site, this seems extreme, but my point is you may find that having that RDS right in your face is not the best bet you may think it is.

but only you will be able to determine that given time.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking.... I gave up reading."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

VIP Member
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I still find it uncanny how close the ACOG is when you remove it and reinstall it. That said, I think it has something to do with how well your rails are machined. Mine goes off and on Wilson rails, and before I saw how "on" it was with just thumb screws I might have said that getting high quality rails was a conceit. At this point I think there is something to it.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

^^^
    Yup. Put the red dot as far forward on the upper receiver as the mount will allow.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links