Mossberg 590A1 Safety

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590A1 Safety within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a 20" Mossberg 590A1 for a song. The only problem I have with it is that the safety is a real bear ...

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Mossberg 590A1 Safety

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950

    Mossberg 590A1 Safety

    Just picked up a 20" Mossberg 590A1 for a song. The only problem I have with it is that the safety is a real bear to move. I am replacing it with an oversized one from Vang, but the screw that holds it on is one of those "one way" security screws and it is recessed about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Does anyone have any idea of how to remove the screw without buggering it up? I'd like to re-use it if possible.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Slidell, LA
    Posts
    1,688
    those one-way bolt heads are a pain to get out. I really don't think there's a good way to do it without screwing up the head, but once you get it out, you can get the thread pitch and diameter off of it, and get a normal phillips or hex-head to replace it.

  4. #3
    VIP Member
    Array goawayfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fork Union, Virginia
    Posts
    2,690
    I am able to remove mine fairly easily.

    Try finding the tightest fitting screw driver you have. Mount the receiver in a vice (with tooth protection!), hold screwdriver tightly & tap with a mallet while turning slightly to loosen. This should work pretty well.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I am able to remove mine fairly easily.

    Try finding the tightest fitting screw driver you have. Mount the receiver in a vice (with tooth protection!), hold screwdriver tightly & tap with a mallet while turning slightly to loosen. This should work pretty well.
    Do you need to take own the shotgun in order to support internal parts while replacing the lever, or just unscrew the old one and install the new one?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array goawayfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fork Union, Virginia
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Do you need to take own the shotgun in order to support internal parts while replacing the lever, or just unscrew the old one and install the new one?
    Remove the two pins that hold the trigger assembly, the assembly can then be removed. Then use your finger to support the safety block, which is the part that the safety engages inside the receiver.

    Keep in mind that when you remove the safety there is a spring & ball bearing in a hole that the safety button compresses, don't loose them!

    If the gun is older & hasn't been taken down, this would be a good time to remove the bolt assembly & clean everything.

    Here are a couple of links that might help:
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeB...g500_Large.wmv
    Last edited by goawayfarm; March 7th, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Remove the two pins that hold the trigger assembly, the assembly can then be removed. Then use your finger to support the safety block, which is the part that the safety engages inside the receiver.

    Keep in mind that when you remove the safety there is a spring & ball bearing in a hole that the safety button compresses, don't loose them!

    If the gun is older & hasn't been taken down, this would be a good time to remove the bolt assembly & clean everything.

    Here are a couple of links that might help:
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeB...g500_Large.wmv
    Thanks again, I was thinking of putting a side saddle on it as well, so I'll probably do it all at once since I'll need to push out those pins in order to do it.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array goawayfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fork Union, Virginia
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Thanks again, I was thinking of putting a side saddle on it as well, so I'll probably do it all at once since I'll need to push out those pins in order to do it.
    I put a side saddle on mine as well, the pins are swapped for screws that go thru receiver.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I put a side saddle on mine as well, the pins are swapped for screws that go thru receiver.
    Yeah, I've done it on 870s before. Doesn't appear to be any difference in the mounting method.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,950
    OK. The new safety showed up in today's mail, complete with a new screw, so I guess I don't have to worry about the old one.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

    The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Need opinions on Mossberg 590A1 !
    By Sneaky in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
  2. Hunting with Mossberg 590A1
    By ferris in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
  3. Finaly got my Mossberg 590A1!
    By AUTOFX in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: June 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
  4. Mossberg 590A1 mag extension
    By doublehorse in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
  5. Mossberg 590/590A1 Question
    By Otis in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 12th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Search tags for this page

590a1 safety
,
how to clean mossberg 590a1
,
installing safety mossberg
,

mossberg 590 safety button

,

mossberg 590 safety problem

,

mossberg 590a1 forum

,
mossberg 590a1 forums
,
mossberg 590a1 oversized safety
,
mossberg 590a1 parts diagram
,

mossberg 590a1 safety

,
mossberg 590a1 safety problems
,

mossberg oversized safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.