Mossberg 590A1 Safety

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590A1 Safety within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a 20" Mossberg 590A1 for a song. The only problem I have with it is that the safety is a real bear ...

Thread: Mossberg 590A1 Safety

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

Mossberg 590A1 Safety

Just picked up a 20" Mossberg 590A1 for a song. The only problem I have with it is that the safety is a real bear to move. I am replacing it with an oversized one from Vang, but the screw that holds it on is one of those "one way" security screws and it is recessed about 1/16 to 1/8 inch. Does anyone have any idea of how to remove the screw without buggering it up? I'd like to re-use it if possible.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    those one-way bolt heads are a pain to get out. I really don't think there's a good way to do it without screwing up the head, but once you get it out, you can get the thread pitch and diameter off of it, and get a normal phillips or hex-head to replace it.

VIP Member
    I am able to remove mine fairly easily.

Try finding the tightest fitting screw driver you have. Mount the receiver in a vice (with tooth protection!), hold screwdriver tightly & tap with a mallet while turning slightly to loosen. This should work pretty well.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I am able to remove mine fairly easily.

Try finding the tightest fitting screw driver you have. Mount the receiver in a vice (with tooth protection!), hold screwdriver tightly & tap with a mallet while turning slightly to loosen. This should work pretty well.
    Do you need to take own the shotgun in order to support internal parts while replacing the lever, or just unscrew the old one and install the new one?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Do you need to take own the shotgun in order to support internal parts while replacing the lever, or just unscrew the old one and install the new one?
    Remove the two pins that hold the trigger assembly, the assembly can then be removed. Then use your finger to support the safety block, which is the part that the safety engages inside the receiver.

Keep in mind that when you remove the safety there is a spring & ball bearing in a hole that the safety button compresses, don't loose them!

If the gun is older & hasn't been taken down, this would be a good time to remove the bolt assembly & clean everything.

Here are a couple of links that might help:
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeB...g500_Large.wmv
    Last edited by goawayfarm; March 7th, 2007 at 11:00 AM.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Remove the two pins that hold the trigger assembly, the assembly can then be removed. Then use your finger to support the safety block, which is the part that the safety engages inside the receiver.

Keep in mind that when you remove the safety there is a spring & ball bearing in a hole that the safety button compresses, don't loose them!

If the gun is older & hasn't been taken down, this would be a good time to remove the bolt assembly & clean everything.

Here are a couple of links that might help:
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag.aspx
    http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeB...g500_Large.wmv
    Thanks again, I was thinking of putting a side saddle on it as well, so I'll probably do it all at once since I'll need to push out those pins in order to do it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Thanks again, I was thinking of putting a side saddle on it as well, so I'll probably do it all at once since I'll need to push out those pins in order to do it.
    I put a side saddle on mine as well, the pins are swapped for screws that go thru receiver.

I put a side saddle on mine as well, the pins are swapped for screws that go thru receiver.
    Yeah, I've done it on 870s before. Doesn't appear to be any difference in the mounting method.

OK. The new safety showed up in today's mail, complete with a new screw, so I guess I don't have to worry about the old one.

Links