AR15 Scope, Bi-Pod and Rem 700 Bi-Pod

This is a discussion on AR15 Scope, Bi-Pod and Rem 700 Bi-Pod within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, after some consideration, I am looking to get a Scope for my AR15 (Del Ton Sport), out to 100 yards minimum, just for 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: AR15 Scope, Bi-Pod and Rem 700 Bi-Pod

Well, after some consideration, I am looking to get a Scope for my AR15 (Del Ton Sport), out to 100 yards minimum, just for 3 gun matches. (3 Gun Match, very intimating, but impressive. (Makes my equipment look weak))

I am looking at this one based on the price. (Amazon.com : Barska 1-4x28 IR Riflescope : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors)

Can anyone recommend decent, Bi-pod for an AR15 and a Rem 700.

I will picking up my Rem. 700 next week, had a low end scope installed, just to get me started.

Any comments appreciated.
    If you served, thank you for your service.

If you did not serve, you are most very welcome.

Anyone??

well, you don't really provide enough info, does the AR have a rail to mount the bipod too? if so, your options are vast. and if you're buying bottom shelf stuff like a barska scope, then just amazon the cheapest bi-pod you can find. (of course you know you get what you pay for - and an el-cheapo bipod, and el-cheapo scope likely won't survive long in the moderately stressful environs of 3 gun matches)

assuming the rem 700 does not have rails, and if the AR does not have rails that limits your options severely. basically you're then looking at the Harris Bi-pod that mounts to the sling mount, and those suckers are pricey... or some sort of barrel clamp bi-pod... of which I know very little.

There are options that require drilling into the stock and using screws to bolt the bipod directly to the stock. I also don't know a lot about those, you'd be looking at something traditional like a hunter would use.
    "I tried talking them down. ...they made a grab for the girl. After that it was a short conversation."

"I am Wrath. I am Steel. I am the Mercy of Angels."

Distinguished Member Array Chuck808's Avatar
    If you'll be running three gun match is, you really don't have much use for a bipod on your AR. As for a scope, something like a 1-4x would be just fine. Don't cheap out and get a garbage scope. For a little bit more money, around $200, you can have a Leupold or Vortex. I wouldn't buy a Barska for a rifle like that.

As for a bipod for the bolt action, generally the standard answer is Harris.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    well, you don't really provide enough info, does the AR have a rail to mount the bipod too? if so, your options are vast. and if you're buying bottom shelf stuff like a barska scope, then just amazon the cheapest bi-pod you can find. (of course you know you get what you pay for - and an el-cheapo bipod, and el-cheapo scope likely won't survive long in the moderately stressful environs of 3 gun matches)

assuming the rem 700 does not have rails, and if the AR does not have rails that limits your options severely. basically you're then looking at the Harris Bi-pod that mounts to the sling mount, and those suckers are pricey... or some sort of barrel clamp bi-pod... of which I know very little.

There are options that require drilling into the stock and using screws to bolt the bipod directly to the stock. I also don't know a lot about those, you'd be looking at something traditional like a hunter would use.
    I am sorry, you are correct, AR does have a full quad rail system on barrel. I am only looking to the bi pod (for AR) for any long range shooting, maybe, later.

on the Rem. 700, I have seen the one you bolt on. but I am looking for suggestions, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    If you'll be running three gun match is, you really don't have much use for a bipod on your AR. As for a scope, something like a 1-4x would be just fine. Don't cheap out and get a garbage scope. For a little bit more money, around $200, you can have a Leupold or Vortex. I wouldn't buy a Barska for a rifle like that.

As for a bipod for the bolt action, generally the standard answer is Harris.
    Thanks, appreciate the time.

Senior Moderator
    Harris Bipod.

Look at the Millett DMR 1-4x scope.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Hard to go wrong with any of the Nikons! For the money they are tough to beat and a great warranty! Harris bi-pod is the industry standard but I also have a Millet bi-pod that has been flawless for a lot less coin! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO Pistol Permit, NC CWP, LEOSA Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I strongly recommend you don't buy that Barska. their products are the bottom of the barrel.

As others have said Nikon makes a very good product at an affordable price point.
    357and40 and 5lima30ret like this.
    "For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands." Deuteronomy 16:15

This is the bipod I have on my Remington 700 VTR:
    Amazon.com : TipTop® EZ Rifle Bipod 6" - 9": Sling Stud Mount, Extendable, Folding, with Sling-attached Hole PN#S3-34659 : Sports & Outdoors
    It is not top of the line but it will do...

This is the Nikon Scope I have on the same rifle...
    Amazon.com : Nikon ProSaff 4-12x40 Riflescope w/ MILDOT Reticle 6732 : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

I will second that the barska is garbage... I just gave away the barska I bought a while back... Not even worth trying to use it on a bb gun...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I've used a Harris bipod on my 700's for 20 years. It won't wear out. The shortest one is all you need for prone.

Atlas bipods are the cream of the crop but they are probably a bit more than you are looking to spend.

FORGET Barska, pile of junk. Look at Primary Arms, Vortex, or Bushnell for a decent budget scope.
    Lifetime NRA member

Thanks for all the comments.

This is what I will be looking at:

Harris or Atlas Bi-Pod, it will be permanent, so cost is not a big issue.

Low end, quality, inexpensive Bi-Pod for the Del-Ton Sport AR15/M-4, picatinny, I will be removing it on and off. as I may be looking a 1X4 and a long range scope, unless a 1x4 can get me out to 300??

Scope, I am trying to stay under $150-200, that is complete to mount on picatinny rails, so I can change from reflex sight to scope. I have considered a 45 degree add on for the reflex sight.

Any recommendation on a pre configured scope with picatinny mounts??

Thanks again, excuse my lack of knowledge, this is all new to me.

If you plan on doing long range shooting with your AR down the road, that's going to need an entire different type of scope than you will for 3 gun matches where the goal is fast hits at close to intermediate distances. For a 3 gun match where you're shooting out to 100-200 yards tops, a quality 1-4x is perfect. For long range precision work, you need to be much more critical in scope selection. You need to spend money on a scope that has absolutely perfect and reliable tracking, a bit more magnification (but don't sacrifice quality for magnification, it's all too often you see cheap garbage scope with 20x magnification. That's absolutely unnecessary for nearly all scenarios) like 8-12x, and make sure that the reticle and turrets match, whether it's in MOA or Mils. You don't want a scope that has a Mil dot reticle, and then MOA turrets. And make sure the turrets are set for fine adjustments, like 1/4 MOA per click or 1/10th Mil per click.

The 1-4x scope selection isn't nearly as critical as its really nothing more than some zoom, and won't be used for absolute precision work and making fine adjustments. It's still worth buying a halfway decent scope though. I have a Bushnell 3-12x that sometimes I throw on my AR and so far no complaints. For getting fast rounds on target at intermediate distance it does the trick. Zero it at 100yds, then it has a bullet drop compensator reticle for each 100 yards thereafter, out to 500-600yds. If it looks about 300yds, just hold on the 2nd dot under the crosshair. It's by no means a long range precision instrument, but works great for your standard general purpose use.

Just saw your last post. A scope that goes up to 4x is just fine for 300yds. Lots of people can shoot out to 400 with irons, but my eyes are not good enough for that sort of thing, so 4x is plenty for 300yds.

A 1-4x scope with a solid mount would be a good setup. Can shoot up close and then stretch out a bit. At 1x a scope may not be QUITE as fast as a reflex sight, but there isn't much difference. I'd just rock the 1-4x and stick with it all the time. No need to also buy a reflex sight and go back and forth between the two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links