New Rock River PDS

New Rock River PDS

This is a discussion on New Rock River PDS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Picked up a new carbine on Monday. Finally got all my accessories in, and I got to shoot it. Many people know I'm not a ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By shipwreck
  • 1 Post By Brad426
  • 1 Post By shipwreck
  • 1 Post By HotBrass45

Thread: New Rock River PDS

New Rock River PDS

Picked up a new carbine on Monday. Finally got all my accessories in, and I got to shoot it. Many people know I'm not a DI fan. I like piston setups. I have a SCAR 16, and I've owned two AUGs previously

I am also a fan of side charging handles - never really cared for the position of a normal AR charging handle.

Anyway - shot it yesterday and it is 100%. It's actually cleaner inside after firing than the SCAR is. Weight wise, it's about the same as my SCAR 16 with the same optic.

Brad426 and HotBrass45 like this.

I suppose if you think those ARs won't catch on that's a decent buy.

I recently looked at one of those in .308. Didn't get to shoot it, though.
    Chuck R. likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

:P :P

The shop had two, and they were running a sale at $200 off their price. I came so close to buying on last year - I couldn't resist this time.

I had a Sig 516 for a short time last year - it was down to these two rifles. This time, I picked the Rock River. I like the side charging handle more
    Kennydale likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I suppose if you think those ARs won't catch on that's a decent buy.

I recently looked at one of those in .308. Didn't get to shoot it, though.
    Now that was pretty funny....

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

The pair:

Nice! I've seen those on their website but never met one in person.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    Our Forefathers would be shooting by now !!

Well, I went back out to shoot today.... Damn it is hot!

Anyway, the place was busy - but NO ONE on the rifle range when I get there. In the 5 min it took me to go inside and pay... When I came out - everyone seemed to swarm on the rifle range . Like 8-10 people all of a sudden.

Anyway - I had to get a new Mepro 21 for my Beretta CX4 - since I had swiped the optic off of it to go on the Rock River a couple of weeks ago...
    I re-zeroed my CX4 again at 50 yards with the new Mepro 21. And, then I shot some more rounds thru the new Rock River. The VMax 223 round works great. When I first got my SCAR 16 and tried it 2 years ago, it barely had enough power to cycle the moving parts group. Of course, the SCAR was brand new (springs not yet broken in). I haven't tried it again in the SCAR (I have 700+ rounds thru it, so it's broken in now).

And - the Rock River had no issues with it, and it grouped nicely.

Both rifles have the same Mepro 21 optic. It is in interesting that I can shoot some 1 inch groups of 8-10 rounds with the Rock River at 50 yards, but the CX4 with the same optic shoots about 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Of course, it's not a real long distance rifle. At 25 yards, it'll put all rounds into 1 hole. And, the trigger on the CX4 isn't the best either.

Had a nice time. WAY too damn hot. Not going back out to shoot rifles until Nov now. I've had enough heat.

Where is the charging handle? I don't see it.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Where is the charging handle? I don't see it.
    Charging handle is above each side rail. They fold in if you want them too... There is a pic below:

Thank you, I like that very much.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Does the system allow for the rifle to be fired with the stock folded?

It also looks like the handguards are proprietary, or can they be switched out with common AR handguards?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Does the system allow for the rifle to be fired with the stock folded?

It also looks like the handguards are proprietary, or can they be switched out with common AR handguards?
    Yes, the gun can fire with the stock folded, just like on a SCAR. There is no traditional buffer tube like on a regular AR, so that isn't an issue...

As for your other question, there are only two hand guard options. The quad rail and the hand guard shown in one spot on that last image I posted.

I must say, though... This RRA PDS is a hell of a lot easier to clean than other rifles I have owned. And TONS easier than a DI rifle...

It's really almost spotless inside of the gun after shooting it. It even runs cleaner than my SCAR 16. The moving parts group on the SCAR is larger, and there is still a build up of junk around the ramp area. On this Rock River - I took it apart, wiped it down, and recoiled everything out of habit. Honestly, it didn't even need it. I have been very surprised at how clean it is compared to the SCAR and the two AUGs I previously had. And, those are piston guns too

I hate cleaning DI guns.

I also spoke with a Rock River rep on Ar15.com. Apparently the piston design in this rifle has some sorta self cleaning mechanism as it runs in and out. They told me I don't have to clean the piston very often. They claim they have one that is up to 18k round without cleaning the piston. Now, I won't go that high - but since you have to remove a roll pin to get the piston out - I can see I'd probably wait and do it every 1-2k rounds. They told me its not necessary to do until the gun doesn't function reliably. But, I don't like to run my stuff that way.

Anyway - only real negative some might have about this gun is the little bit of extra weight.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links