AK question

AK question

This is a discussion on AK question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am trying to help someone with their AK. We have looked at different sites, but can't find what we need. Those of you with ...

Thread: AK question

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar

AK question

I am trying to help someone with their AK. We have looked at different sites, but can't find what we need. Those of you with an AK-47, help me if ya can, please. Take off the cover, take out the long spring thing. Lay the rifle muzzle to the left, upright. You have the switch for fire and safe. On the other side of the gun, where the pivot is for the safe lever, there is a spring looking critter. One end goes around the end of the pin for the safety switch. Looks like it should go under the trigger pin at the groove and then somehow go to the groove on the hammer pin. Both the hammer and trigger pins look like they have grooves on the left side. Does this spring go above or under the trigger pin? (Looks to me it would go under it). and then it goes forward to the hammer pin. It this spring's only function to hole the hammer and trigger pins secure? Why isn't there a couple "C" clips to hold these pins in place.

Hopefully, I have described what I am talking about good enough for someone to help. Thanx for any smarts about this question.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    If this is the same spring I am thinking of, there are 3 pins it connects with. It is coiled around the back pin, goes under the next (middle) pin and back up on top of the 3rd (forward most, hammer) pin. I have a couple of good pics of the inside, but they are too big to post. I'll see if I can photobucket them.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CopperKnight; March 10th, 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: linked pic
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Ours looks kinda line this one, it has the coil at the short end and the longer end the coil is missing. I can only assume that it holds the hammer and trigger pins in place. I don't see why "C" clips weren't put there instead of trhis spring clip thing.
    Attached Images
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

VIP Member
    Definitely different than my Saiga, then. As for why, my guess would be for easier field repairs? Less likely to pop off than a C-clip? Sorry I wasn't more help.
    eschew obfuscation

Oh, you were a help. Made me slow down and look at a site for parts. seems there are different types of these springs. Apparently, all they do is keep the 2 pins from coming out. Thanx for your reply.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    Oh, you were a help. Made me slow down and look at a site for parts. seems there are different types of these springs. Apparently, all they do is keep the 2 pins from coming out. Thanx for your reply.
    If that's it, maybe you could get a couple hardware store type c-clips. Don't think it would hurt to try.
    eschew obfuscation

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The clip, commonly referred to as a "shepherd's hook", was designed for ease of field stripping, but is a real pain to re-install for the inexperienced. Several places sell a retainer specially made to replace that wire clip. It does the same job and is easier to install. I have replaced the wire clips on all of my AKs. Here is a link to one of them:

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...ain_page=crook
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

That is what I'm talking about!!!! There is a wire thing there right now that I don't see how it fits. I'm gonna hit a show today, see if they got one. If not, I can order one. I thought it just held the pins in place, but couldn't prove it. May you find a case of ammo under your pillow, sir. Thanx very much for the pics and link.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    That is what I'm talking about!!!! There is a wire thing there right now that I don't see how it fits. I'm gonna hit a show today, see if they got one. If not, I can order one. I thought it just held the pins in place, but couldn't prove it. May you find a case of ammo under your pillow, sir. Thanx very much for the pics and link.
    You're most welcome. Let me know how you make out.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I read on ak47.net that there are at least 2 different "shapes" of this hook and different ways to put them in. It was also mentioned that the c-clips would work, they are just easy to lose, so if you go that route, buy a bunch and keep them in your cleaning kit.

Oh, to figure out what size clip to buy, take a pin with you, not the whole gun.
    I like my solvent and my lubricant for my guns to rhyme, so I use Gasoline and Vasoline.

From Pennsylvania? www.pafoa.org

The 3-page tutorial at the site below may help answer your question:

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    I'd go with the Shepherd's Crook replacement (in fact, I DID go that route) .. and as stated above, you can find them several places, but the cheapest I found was from Krebs Custom at $9.50

http://yhst-70335205963818.stores.ya...trpinrepl.html

Red Star Arms also sells one, and a PDF file of the "how to" is here:
    http://www.redstararms.com/uploads/retainer.pdf
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Links