Mosin-Nagent 91/30 problem w/loading

This is a discussion on Mosin-Nagent 91/30 problem w/loading within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not new to bolt milsurp rifles, but my first 91/30 is kicking my butt... Embarassed I am having all sorts of trouble loading rounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm not new to bolt milsurp rifles, but my first 91/30 is kicking my butt... Embarassed

I am having all sorts of trouble loading rounds into the rifle. My Mauser K98 is very straightforward, no problems loading the rounds in one at a time into the magazine. Isn't the Mosin supposed to work the same way?

The problem I'm having with my Mosin is that (to my eye) the ejector (on the left inside of the receiver) is sort of spring-loaded and pushes out towards the middle of the rifle. This means that when I try to push straight down on a new cartridge (positioned forward and backwards with the cartridge rim lined up with the receiver stripper clip slot), the side of the cartridge hits the ejector, and there's not enough room to allow the cartridge to pass into the magazine.

Here's a picture:

The ejector seems too big to allow cartridges to go in! I got this round into the magazine by placing it almost into the chamber, then sliding it backwards into the magazine. I'm sure that can't be the way it's supposed to work. The way it is now, there's no way stripper clips could be used to get rounds into the magazine from above.
    I'm wondering if the part of the ejector with the white arrow, where the rimmed base of the cartridge goes, needs to be dremmeled out a little bit? It's the base and rim of the cartridge, the widest part of it, that's getting stuck.

I should clarify... the interrupter/ejector shown in the picture above DOES move under spring pressure, but even if I push it in with a screwdriver, it does not move to the side enough to allow a cartridge to be pushed into the magazine from above. I don't know what "normal" ejector and ejector springs look like, but everything looked ok to my untrained eye when I took it all apart and cleaned it earlier today.
    Can those of you with Mosins look at this and tell me if this picture is what your rifle looks like?

Assistant Administrator
    I haven't time to take a pic but yes - mine is same.

I usually fired mine single shot so not used mag much.

I did just try tho and ........ seems a need to get rim just beyond halfway point where wider and feed back, depressing bullet as you go, and then push in. Once down it stays down until the ejector is pushed in, which allows round to pop up.

Not much help probably - as I said - never loaded the mag at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have an M38.

I don't have any stripper clips handy to take a pic of , but if you

were to insert a clip in your rifle , you would see that the clip itself
    will push aside the offending part.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    Here's a pic of mine, looks the same. There is a click as the piece is pushed aside while loading a round. You probably just have a really stiff spring.
    Attached Images
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    I've got 3...2 M44's and a 91/30.

All of them can be a bit tricky when single loading. With the stripper clips that I use it is no problem.

The problem with the ejector is that it is spring loaded, but, it only moves if pushed in...and it wont move if pushed down. Basically, you are trying to push down on it when you load a cartridge into it...but you already figured that out I think.

The trick is to not load the first one straight down. Kindof slide it in from the front a bit to allow the ejector to move out of the way. Once you do this a few times, you'll do it without even thinking about it. Once the first one is in, the rest are easy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I have an M38.

I don't have any stripper clips handy to take a pic of , but if you

were to insert a clip in your rifle , you would see that the clip itself
    will push aside the offending part.
    Hmmm. I have some brass strippers I bought at the same time I bought the rifle (from Classic Arms) but the strippers are replicas made recently. They're supposed to be identical but maybe they're not identical enough to push the ejector to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've got 3...2 M44's and a 91/30.

All of them can be a bit tricky when single loading. With the stripper clips that I use it is no problem.

The problem with the ejector is that it is spring loaded, but, it only moves if pushed in...and it wont move if pushed down. Basically, you are trying to push down on it when you load a cartridge into it...but you already figured that out I think.

The trick is to not load the first one straight down. Kindof slide it in from the front a bit to allow the ejector to move out of the way. Once you do this a few times, you'll do it without even thinking about it. Once the first one is in, the rest are easy.
    Ah, thank you sir! I slid the first one in backwards (like I had to do to take the picture) and then forced the other ones in. It wasn't easy, though. Why in the world is the loading so damn difficult? I wouldn't want to try this with a squad of Germans bearing down on me! My Mauser K98 is much much easier to load. Hmmm. But my K98 wasn't any $69 either!

Hopefully this will get easier as I get used to it, and maybe some "breaking in" will occur. I am relieved to see that my rifle isn't broken!

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Here's a pic of mine, looks the same. There is a click as the piece is pushed aside while loading a round. You probably just have a really stiff spring.
    Thanks for taking the time to post a pic. I think you are correct about me having a STIFF spring. After trying some other suggestions, I was able to eventually get 5 rounds loaded in via the top. That's more success than I've had since getting this thing 2 weeks ago.

Senior Moderator
    Another thing...

It is entirely possibe that you have cosmoline in behind your extractor and that could make for some stiff loading. It wouldnt hurt to get some sort of solvent type spray and spray it in there and then relubricate everything. Cosmoline on milsurps can really gunk things up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I had one and shot probubly700 rounds or so through it before i sold it. Mine would jam quite often, and so badly that i would have to pry rounds out with a screw driver. So you are not alone.

Has anyone here had better luck with an M38, Finnish M39, or M44? I would think they would have the same problem since the receiver part is basically the same? Perhaps the Finnish guns were better made or something, though?

Senior Moderator
    They're all basically the same. Like most milsurps, they were made by many manufacturers...even Remingtom and Winchester made some for export to the Russians.

Like any other rifle, some seem to be better than others.
    You know, after looking at the picture again, it does seem like your extractor is sticking out a bit much. Check it to see if there is any crud underneath it.

It is entirely possible that the sping that goes underneath is not quite the right one. It may be a little long. These guns are old and have probably at one time or another had parts replaced.

The Finns captured a bunch of guns and rebuilt them to their specs. The barrels are free floated and they usually are known to be the most accurate of all Mosin Nagants.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    They're all basically the same. Like most milsurps, they were made by many manufacturers...even Remingtom and Winchester made some for export to the Russians.

Like any other rifle, some seem to be better than others.
    You know, after looking at the picture again, it does seem like your extractor is sticking out a bit much. Check it to see if there is any crud underneath it.

It is entirely possible that the sping that goes underneath is not quite the right one. It may be a little long. These guns are old and have probably at one time or another had parts replaced.

The Finns captured a bunch of guns and rebuilt them to their specs. The barrels are free floated and they usually are known to be the most accurate of all Mosin Nagants.
    I think it's kind of like you say, wrong spring perhaps for this particular rifle. Someone else suggested that I carefully whittle away the stock on the inside where the ejector might be hitting. I just 5 minutes ago finished, and it is now freed up enough so that I can now load rounds though the top, albeit with some difficulty. Unless I replace the spring with the right one (how to tell what the right spring is?) or whittle out some more wood, using the repo stripper clips I got with this one is a distant dream. I'm glad to have the Mosin but I'm a lot less impressed than I was before I bought it. I understand the Soviets were in a battle for their survival but geez, how complicated would it have been to have made a rough-hewn bolt action that DIDN'T have loading/feeding issues? That's ok though, I like holding my little piece of 1942 history and it makes me appreciate how my K98 complements it in my little collection. They're both fun to shoot, at least they will be once I now fix the sights on the Mosin (shoots pretty high like I hear they do).

Senior Moderator
    If you think that the spring may be a bit long, take it out and snip a coil off and try it. Itd be a trial and error thing, but if it is too long then when it is compressed it wont allow the extractor to retract enough.

If it works, its an easy fix.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I have had an M38 and a 91/30... Yes...they took some pressure to load...and a few thumbnails along the way. But...once I got the hang of how to position the rounds it went quickly. My problem was "stick bolt syndrome"...the bolt was at times hard to open after firing...but a good chamber cleaning and filing of a burr fixed that.

More resources at Surplusrifle.com, including many more links and a fourm.

Oh...put the bayo' on and stick a hot dog on it...you can shoot and cook your lunch with that amazing fireball!!!!!

Dasvadanya,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links