Using scopes.

This is a discussion on Using scopes. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is going to make me look stupid, But I don't really care. I'm looking for a book that explains sighting in a rifle, how ...

Thread: Using scopes.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Using scopes.

This is going to make me look stupid, But I don't really care.

I'm looking for a book that explains sighting in a rifle, how to make adjustments according to conditions and ranging ect. Any suggestions.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The art of the Rifle by Jeff Cooper would be an excellent starting point for you IMHO. There are a few marksmanship manuals i uploaded at http://abcyber.org/bob/general/ if you want to sort thro and download them also .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I don't know about any books, but there are quite a few forums for benchrest/high power/ballistics out there that will get you all the info you need. Using a scope and sighting in is just basic ballistics and an understanding of minute-of-angle. Actually hitting stuff at long range and funky conditions is where it gets dicey :).

John Plaster's "Ultimate Sniper" is excellent. Did he plagarise? Weeeellllll He's the only author so far to have pretty much everything in a single volume.

http://home.swipnet.se/sniper/sniper/

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Snipe.../dp/0873647041

Get out and practice along with reading!! Steve48

Get out and practice along with reading!!
    Steve has great advice.

With some things, a book can only teach you so much. Dont get me wrong, there is alot of neat little tricks, and theory that you can learn from reading. The rest of the learning has to be hands on. Its the kind of thing where you do alot of learning from the mistakes you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Get out and practice along with reading!! Steve48
    +1!!!

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I kinda figured practice, but I want to have a scope set up right and know how to figure out how to adjust it before I mess up the crosshairs, you know have it on Bambi's dad at the north and hitting the cow at your six.

I haven't had too much trigger time with scoped rifles. Picking up pistol shooting was pretty straight forward compared with my last attempt at the range which was
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

reading the manual is a good start.. and no I'm not meaning to sound like a smartass. Some scopes adjust differently.

Make sure you boresight the rifle first.. that's the first important step. I have a laser boresighter.. but when I first boresighted my rifle I did not have access to it as I was out of town and forgot it at home. this was on my AR so it was a bit easier for me to do this, than it would be with a full rifle.. unless you have a rifle rest you can use.

Whether it's an AR or a bolt action rifle, one way you can boresight it is to remove the bolt.. secure the gun with it aimed at a distant object about 100 yards away. Look down the bore at the object.. I find it's best to get the bore pointed at something like a corner of an object.. something you know exactly where it's pointed. Then look through your scope and adjust it. Depending on how secure you have the gun held down, you may have to reposition the bore onto the target.. so that's why it's important to find a corner, a specific spot you can easily re-aim at.

Doing that got me on paper the first shot with my new scope.

Then when you sight in the rifle with precisely, make sure it is secured down properly.. you don't want to be moving around a lot. How many clicks at 100 yards to move the impact 1", all depends on the scope. Some scopes move the impact of the bullet 1/4" for each click at 100 yards. some move it 1/8" at 100 yards.

So a 1:4 scope would move it 1"'for 4 clicks at 100 yards. That's 1/4" per click.. per 100 yards. so if you move out to 200 yards with that scope.. each click is going to move it 1/2".. because 1/4" per 100 yards.. you doubled the 100 to 200.. so the 1/4" becomes 1/2". Go to 300 yards, it moves to 3/4" per click, go to 400 yards.. 1" per click.

If it's a 1/8" per 100 yards scope.. then it takes 8 clicks to move the bullet 1" at 100 yards. so again, 1/8" per 100 yards. so at 200 yards, it would be 1/4".. you moved the yardage up 100 yards to 200... so you have to double the 1/8" by two.. so 1/4" at 100 yards.

am I making any sense? Just remember the scope you have.. is it a 1/4"or 1/8" per click at 100 yards? Think of it like this.. 1/4" per click, per 100 yards. Go to 800 yards.. 1 click moves it 2".

also remember that you will find some scopes, moving the dial clockwise will move the crosshairs up.. while others will move it down. Figure out what yours does.

My scope, if I turn the knob clockwise.. will bring the crosshairs up. And doing that will also bring my crosshairs right. The reason is, the threads on the screw are like normal threads.. right tighty, lefty loosey. In theory, turning the knob clockwise, is like you are tightening down a screw.. as the threads of the screw would move down into the scope.. it's making the crosshairs be pulled up.

Remember, if you move the crosshairs up... you'll bring your shot down.. if you bring them down.. you'll move the shot up. And forgive me if I'm wrong on this one here.. I am having a brainfart and it's been a while since I adjusted my scope while shooting.. but I think if you move teh crosshairs right.. you will bring the shot back left. Since you moved them to the right.. that will force you to move the gun slightly back to the left to be back on target. Same goes for moving the crosshairs left... it should bring the shot back to the right.

My point was to start basic , i really didnt want to delve into mil dots and how to figure them now , Click adjusments are usualy labled , and not only fairly close , but reasonably repeatible for short range hunting . The art of riflemanship wont be learned in any book , or with the first rifle frankly .. To me its about have fun while you learn . As with handguns and ccw , the finer points that makes compentance
    come later . Its enough on anyone to start a new firearms dicipline , dont overwhelm them with extra crap till the crap is usefull .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

and it doesn't make you look stupid... because you have no clue. If a person has no clue about something it doesn't make them stupid. it just means they don't have a clue. The only question that should make someone look or sound stupid, is the question they refuse to ask anyone. then you will be stupid, because you want to know how to do it... but refuse to ask anyone to teach you.

My scope, if I turn the knob clockwise.. will bring the crosshairs up. And doing that will also bring my crosshairs right.
    If this is the case your scope is mounted improperly or you are shooting a truly cheap scope , and i shoot some 70 buck scopes , so when i say cheep i mean it lol .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    If this is the case your scope is mounted improperly or you are shooting a truly cheap scope , and i shoot some 70 buck scopes , so when i say cheep i mean it lol .

I have a cheaper scope, andmy dad has a burris that cost $350 almost 30 years ago that he has on his rifle. Both scopes, when you turn the elevation dial clockwise bring the crosshairs up. That will bring your shot down, because you will then lower the gun a bit to get the crosshairs back on target.

The arrow on the burris points counter-clockwise and it says UP so if you turn it counter-clockwise, it will move the crosshairs down.. making you move the gun up a bit to bring it back on target. that's going to bring your shot up.

so a cheaper scope, and a good scope.. both are operating the same way. If yours operates differently than that.. then it clearly points out what I was trying to say... some scopes may operate ass backwards from another.

edited to add... I may have misread what you were implying. are you assuming that I said adjusting the elevation dial clockwise will bring the crosshairs both up.. and right together? if that's the case, then I need to clarify what I said. I meant that turning the windage dial clockwise will bring my crosshairs right.. and the elevation one clockwise will bring the crosshairs up.

Links