Need Info. About Olympic AR's

This is a discussion on Need Info. About Olympic AR's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good morning all. I have a friend that is itching to get into a new AR. He's been leaning towards an Olympic K8....it seems they ...

Good morning all. I have a friend that is itching to get into a new AR. He's been leaning towards an Olympic K8....it seems they have some of the best pricing. I'm a Bushmaster guy myself....so I couldn't offer him any advice regarding Olympic AR's. I was wondering if y'all could share your thoughts/experiences regarding Olympic AR's???

I tried posting this topic on AR 15.com. But the thread dropped off the face of the earth within a couple of hours. Not a single response...is that an indication of what people think of Olympic?? Or just some folks raising their noses in the air because of the question?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Y'all have a great day!

Wayne

P.S.

I was trying to get him to look at the Rock River Varmint rig since he wants a stainless bull barrel. I just think the Rock River has some great features built in.
    Last edited by Senderofan; March 18th, 2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Forgot some additional info.

Lead Moderator
    Olympic should be o.k. RRA , Bushie ect are also good guns. Maybe a search on AR15.com might yield more results.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I tried to do a search but it limits me to the last 30 days unless I upgrade my membership.

Just haven't heard much about Olympic....thought maybe some folks had info. or experience with them.

Wayne

Lead Moderator
    Some folks have complained about em, The few I have seen , seem to work well enough. Sorry I can't tell ya more, but I bought Bushmaster and stag.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hey...Thanks for the info. I appreciate any and all thoughts on this subject. Just trying to help a buddy out and I know nothing about Olympic.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

JT
    Generally, Olympic is thought to be a second or even third tier AR, below the likes of Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, and Stag. I don’t have any personal experience with Olympic, but I have heard enough negatives that I would not own one.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT,

I hear what you're saying....I thought I had seen that reported on other sites but wanted to make sure.

I appreciate the input,

Wayne

Talking

I have several Colts, and A Oly. The Oly is a 'car' configeration with the fake suppresser making it a 11.5 inch barrel with a 6 inch heavy tube affixed to the barrel to minic the Viet Nam era suppressor.

I have had it simce 1992 and have had no problems with it even using the Ceiner .22 lr converision kit.

It hits what I point it at, and goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.

The Colts are the standard HD 1/7 E-2 configeration. match/coyote guns

The Oly is my play/jeep gun. Which I would not hestiate to rely on for self defence.

However it is in stock configeration and does not have a KerZillion aftermarket wizbangs hung on it.

Keep it clean, Keep it lubed, Keeps it happy

VIP Member
    From everything I've seen they are fine guns, just not quite as good as the top level guns. I've been looking at one myself, so I wouldn't steer anyone away from them. But, at the same time fit and finish may not be as good, and it may not be quite the tack driver than higher end ARs are. Regardless, I am sure he would be happy with it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thanks for all the replies...I greatly appreciate it.

Wayne

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly i dont own an oly , and from some of the issues i have seen wont. My best advise is to stick with bushys , stag or RRA in the big names . Stag makes recievers for a lot of companys and has a heck of a rep if you can stand a rollmarked bambi on your gun lol . My sole ar right now is an early rock river that predates any logo .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    check out these:www.slr15.com
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

AR-15

A few weeks ago I picked up a DPMS AP4 M4. Very nice. Around $800.00

I owned an Olympic Arms AR for a while that I bought from a guy at work that needed the money. It worked rather well, I just don't care for the AR platform, so I sold it. I would buy it again if I had a desire for an AR though. YMMV.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I have an Olympic Arms M4 that I bought used in Mich. I have shot it and never had any problems. According to their web site they are the only manufacture that makes the complete gun in house. I sent for info on the gun I bought and they sent me a manual and answered my questions. I also believe they have a lifetime warranty to the original owner, but not sure
    When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace: Luke 11:21

Links