M14/M1A rifles - Are they really all $2k? - Page 2

M14/M1A rifles - Are they really all $2k?

This is a discussion on M14/M1A rifles - Are they really all $2k? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know they are not the "real deal" but even in Canada you can still get a NEW Norinco knock-off M14... $399.00 http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm Was the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I know they are not the "real deal" but even in Canada you can still get a NEW Norinco knock-off M14... $399.00

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

Was the import ban about protecting the population or was it about protecting the domestic gun industry?

Also check this out:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-VZ-58/VZ-58S.shtm

I've seen thses in shotgun news for $1K+ USD...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    darn canadians.

so, after a little research, it looks like for .308 semi-auto, I'm limited to one of these 4 rifles.

M1A/M14 knockoff
    AR-10
    FAL
    HK91 (or CETME/PTR91)

and that's it. Am I forgetting anybody?

I will let you know..I am picking up my M1A Loaded Standard tonight!!!!!! And will hit the range on Saturday (If the rain holds off)....

BTW I paid $1488 + shipping/ffl (total of $45) for mine....

congrats on the purchase. if it doesn't work out, I'll be happy to take it off your hands (at great personal sacrifice to me, of course)

I think at this point, I'm leaning towards a PTR-91. I found some for $800 NIB, which sounds pretty good to me. Everyone who has one raves about their build quality and durability, and apparently, they're capable of 1moa right out of the box (plenty accurate for me).

I still need to do some more research, and try to set up a local FFL transfer for one (not to mention build up some cash).

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Bob The hk line and any of the g3 clones can be real accurate with a little work as can the FAL. Tho i own a fal I am waiting to see what the RRA ar10 clone looks like since i believe i read somewhere it is going to take fal mags and they are cheap and common .
    Out of the box accuracy i would have to say the ar10 or m1a has it hands down with the g3 clones a close third. With a bit of smithing tho any of the " battle rifles " can be made to shoot better than 98% of the riflemen out there .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

You won't be disappointed with the PTR.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The only issue i see with the ptr, g3 , whateaver you want to call the action is the fluted chamber . If you reload make another choice , if not then its great . Tho due to ergonomics many feel like it recoils more than some others . To me its fine but be aware depending on your build and experiance it may " kick " some . The fal on the other hand almost universaly is plesant to shoot , but takes a bit more work to make a sub moa rifle out of than other actions .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    darn canadians.

so, after a little research, it looks like for .308 semi-auto, I'm limited to one of these 4 rifles.

M1A/M14 knockoff
    AR-10
    FAL
    HK91 (or CETME/PTR91)

and that's it. Am I forgetting anybody?
    Saiga .308, certainly not as fancy as the ones you've listed...

The only real point not in the PTR's favor in my book is the heavy barrel they're using. It adds a lot of weight to an already front-heavy monster.

I don't like the balance of it vs. an actual G3-profile barrel, and they don't offer an optoin.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp View Post
    The only real point not in the PTR's favor in my book is the heavy barrel they're using. It adds a lot of weight to an already front-heavy monster.

I don't like the balance of it vs. an actual G3-profile barrel, and they don't offer an optoin.
    I'll keep that in mind. I also had heard about it being hard on brass, but I don't reload, so it's not a huge concern for me.

well, I picked up a used PTR-91 off of an arfcom-er, and took delivery of it this week.

Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but overall, I'm very impressed.

Pros:

It's smaller than I expected. I guess the short stock makes the gun look like it should be bigger.

It dissassembles in a flash. after tearing it down a few times, I think I've got the hang of it. The lucking lugs were a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

Cons:

It's way front heavy. I can deal with this though.

The plastic buttpad sucks. So does the narrow fore-end.

Some questions for the local HK gurus:

Where can get an HK21 rubber buttpad? I've gathered that this is what I want, both to tame the recoil, and keep it from slipping off my shoulder like the plastic one likes to do. Is there another alternative buttpad? A stock extension would be nice too.

Does anyone make oversized or higher-leverage charging handles? I can operate it, but it takes more force than I would like to pry the handle out and unlock the bolt.

Does the standard G3 flash-hider, with its C-clip attachment work on the heavy barrels? Will it need any gun-smithing, or just clip on?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    Where can get an HK21 rubber buttpad?

Does anyone make oversized or higher-leverage charging handles?

Does the standard G3 flash-hider, with its C-clip attachment work on the heavy barrels?
    Congrats, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

PTR91.com sells a rubber buttpad. You might also look at their 'comfort zone' buffer, if recoil bothers you. I don't find that my PTR's recoil is uncomfortable, but others do.

Don't know on the oversized charging handle, never heard of such a thing. The charging handle acts as a cam lever that forces the locking rollers out of their seats in the trunion... it's designed to unlock under recoil, so it shouldn't be too easy. Mine seems to be loosening up some with use.

My PTR91 has a factory H&K flash hider on it, with the C clip attachment, and it's a heavy barrel. I don't know what kind of fitting it took to put it there, since it was delivered from JLD that way, but it is possible.

You might take a look at http://hkpro.com/forum/index.php and/or http://www.militaryfirearm.com/ for more info on your new H&K clone.

Enjoy :)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

thx. I'll look into those.

Buy Now And Avoid The Rush...

The January 2009 rush...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

the M14 is worth it, the old addage "you get what you pay for" applies heavily to this gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links