M14/M1A rifles - Are they really all $2k?

This is a discussion on M14/M1A rifles - Are they really all $2k? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I started looking into getting an M1A or M14 clone recently. Coming from the AR world of 8 different competing manufacturers with 6 models each, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M14/M1A rifles - Are they really all $2k?

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

I started looking into getting an M1A or M14 clone recently. Coming from the AR world of 8 different competing manufacturers with 6 models each, I was a little surprised to find that the only options for the M14 seem to be Springfield and PolyTech, or a custom from Fulton Armory.

The Springfield seems to be at least $1500 , and the Fulton tacks on another grand on top of that. PolyTech's are at least more reasonably priced (still $800 though), but everyone and their mom swears they are excrement.

I guess I didn't realize how popular these things were. I knew they were good guns, but wow. Is there some secret manufacturer that will sell you a solid gun without extracting 4 digits from your bank account?

Also, I'm not married to the idea of having an M14, it's just an option. I want something in .308, box-fed, semi-auto, fairly accurate, and reasonably priced. What else should I look into?

2. Remove Ads

Hate to tell you, but the days of .308, box-fed, semi-auto, fairly accurate, and cheap are over.

FALs aren't cheap any more. The PTR-91s aren't cheap any more. Even the Century guns aren't cheap now.

If you want one, bite the bullet and buy it - or it isn't going to get any cheaper down the road.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

You can find a Cetme battle rifle for way smaller money.
    I looked recently at all the mag fed 7.62 NATO guns. Decided on an excellent condition, all American, used Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad. (M14 type with a 4 inch shorter barrel and weaver rail midway down the barrel). Still set me back 1400.00. Was a few years old but spent its time in a guys safe, not at the range. Probably only had 50 rounds fired through it.
    Then to make it useful I bought 2000 rounds ammo, USGI sling, twelve 20 round mags, five 10 round mags, Harris swiveling bipod and Aimpoint 2X extended eye relief scope. All this extra stuff was the price of the gun all over again.
    I think it was worth it.
    Last edited by bones; March 18th, 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Cetme, huh. Wasn't that what the G3 was based off of? Might be worth looking into.

well, maybe if I can save up enough cash, I'll take the M1A plunge. It just seems strange to me that I could get a brand-new loaded AR-15 for 2/3 the price of an M1A.

Does anyone here have experience with the PolyTech's?

IIRC, the Ruger Mini-30 is, essentially, the M14 action with a bit different packaging, and you can find those for ~$500-650 all day long.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good luck.

I'm not a fan of the M1 style... (I know _blaspheme_ right?) Sorry, I like a pistol grip on my battle rifle. So I started looking at a good quality FAL, AR10, or G3 type rifle.

You can find a Cetme junker in the <1000 range, but not by much. A well put together FAL is 1000-14000, a nice S3 clone is well over 1000 now. Problems seem to plague the AR style .308's, unless you go high end, then you get expensive... plus, I already have an AR style rifle, and would like something else in .308.

I ended up buying a JLD PTR91. It's a very well put together rifle, reliable, accurate, inexpensive magazines... but it wasn't cheap!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    No. My M-25 was more like $3.5K
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Saiga makes a .308 variant that I haven't heard/read anything bad about. That's probably not what you're looking for though.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    A good buddy of mine has a Springfield M1A, and it's a great, accurate rifle. It was (IIRC) about $1600...

I opted for a DSA Arms FAL Congo (dealer price was around $1400 at the time), and am completely pleased with it. DSA has other rifles available at various price levels, starting with this:

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STG58STD

Check out the rest of their website for many options...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    No. My M-25 was more like $3.5K
    Roger that, Ive got almost that much in my SOCOM II with the case, sling and ACOG.....

Those M25's are the stuff of dreams.....

I used to think my wife had expensive tastes, them I fell in love with the M1A.... LOL
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Some years ago i had the pleasure of owning a SA m1a NM . It was a fine rifle that did everything i asked of it , and when my need for it disappeared i actually sold it for quite a bit more than i had in it . Most likely i will never own another since imho they are over valued except for a narrow nitch and that is only on accuracy at range . Nowdays you can pick up some AR10 variant that will shoot with it( and do it out of the box to boot ) for quite a bit less $$ , but back in the day it was honestly the most affordable " accurate " repeater you could get . I suppose if you " Just have to have an M14gery the price is worth it , but equal or better performance can be had cheaper in the full battlerifle catagory .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Still see Standard Springfields going for $1100-$1200 at gun shows.

good suggestions, all.

The mini-30 is a good rifle, but for this purchase, I'd really like something in 7.62x51.

cmidkiff - I also prefer a pistol grip, but that can be remedied with most rifles.

that FAL has potential - I'll have to research it more.

Redneck Repairs - Would you care to elaborate on alternative rifles? As I said, the M14 was just a rifle that I knew of. I'm trying to avoid the AR-10 platform, both because I already have an AR, and want something different, and because of the reliability rumors that seem to follow them around. Other than that, I'm pretty open to ideas.

IMO I would go with the M1A or FAL if you don't want an AR-10. The AR-10 could be had for a little bit cheaper, especially if you are capable of building your own. www.pof-usa.com makes their own lowers for AR-10s and they use an FAL style gas system.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

My friends DPMS Panther 308 rifle was about $1,200 out the door with accessories like 4 extra mags.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links