Cheap .308 setup = Saiga .308 6x42 POSP?

This is a discussion on Cheap .308 setup = Saiga .308 6x42 POSP? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im moving back to Upstate N.Y. soon. The move isnt going to be cheap. But now I now have a need for a semi-auto in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap .308 setup = Saiga .308 6x42 POSP?

Im moving back to Upstate N.Y. soon. The move isnt going to be cheap. But now I now have a need for a semi-auto in .308. I just bought a car, and the quotes to move my stuff is high. So I dont have $1800 to spend on a rifle ATM.

Ive done abit of resherch on the net and found out a Saiga .308 with a 6x42 POSP scope, seems "good enough".
    I have no experence with Saiga rifles. From what I read they are capable of 2"grp's at 100y, give or take. I know nothing about Soviet scopes, from what I read. There quality will vary, but for $150 what can I realy expect? If its bum glass, Ill try again.

Do you think this is worth it?......

JT
    I had almost that exact setup, except it was the 8x42 scope. I actually did better than 2” at 100 yards. I did about 1.5”. And that was with cheap ammo.

It’s a solid, reliable rifle, and the scope is very nice for the price. The only thing I didn’t like about the rifle was the trigger. It goes back and up, due to the engineering they did to sporterize the rifle. I could have converted it, but didn’t want to go to the time and expense. So I sold the rifle and kept the scope for my VEPR.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JT
    Almost forgot. In case you haven’t found it yet, here's a good Saiga fourm...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Thanks JT!

I did about 1.5. And that was with cheap ammo.
    Reports like that are common, I said 2" cause I have no personal experience with the rifle, so I added abit of scepticism.

I had almost that exact setup, except it was the 8x42 scope.
    I was thinking abou the 8x, but I dont wana overpowered scope at 100y.
    How was the scope? Did it hold its zero? Does it have a decent picture? Commi Glass kinda frightens me...
    Is there a mount for a regular scope, that will hold its zero? I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm thats still in the box.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Right now if i " had " to go auto on .308 i would go with a fal or g3 clone built up on a good reciever . Honestly tho for value look at some of the turnbolts in .308 savage as a for instance has pulled themselves up to the point that you can get a lot of rifle for a little $$
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    How was the scope? Did it hold its zero? Does it have a decent picture? Commi Glass kinda frightens me...
    It holds its zero, and was brighter and clearer than I expected. I was very pleased. The only thing to get use to is it being high and off the bore axis. I read that the trick is to use your other eye (i.e. left eye for righties). You kind of lean your cheek over the stock and look through it with your left eye. It gets the height right and you get a good cheek weld. I was told that is how the Russians do it. I was skeptical at first, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    Is there a mount for a regular scope, that will hold its zero? I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm thats still in the box.
    There are, but I did not have much success with one. Apparently Commie scopes have a lot more adjustment available than our scopes, to make up for wider manufacturing variances in mounts, etc. When I tried a mount with an American scope, I could not get it on paper. I did not have enough windage adjustment. When I bought the Russian scope with the built in mount, I had enough adjustment. I think the problem was the scope rail on my Saiga was a little off. I don’t know if this is typical or not. If you really want to use your Bushnell, take a chance on the scope mount. It may work for you. If you don’t want to risk the $30-40 bucks (or what ever they are going for now), get a Russian scope to begin with, and you’ll know it will work.

Honestly tho for value look at some of the turnbolts in .308 savage as a for instance has pulled themselves up to the point that you can get a lot of rifle for a little $$
    Savage makes great rifles. My old mod 12 in .22-250 shot 1/4" grps. I already have a great boltgun (Ruger 6.5x55mm Swed, Veri-x III 3.5x10x, Timminy trigger)

Im now looking for something quicker. Ill try searching for Fal, G3 clones. I have several months before I move, anyhow.

IMHO if you shoot a commie gun then shoot commie glass , for a lot of reasons it costs more to make our optics work on thier guns reliably . If you note even common sks mounts come with 4 way adjustments . Commy guns allways work , but at the expense of consistancy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Greg , century is better than it was a couple of years ago , if you can establish its a new gun , they produce most of what you might want , just inspect the bore well . My fal is both common and obscure lol It duplicates one of the desireable formats , with a reciever that is bar none top shelf . All the serials matching , and hand picked tho wont make a bit of differance in how one may shoot . Point is nowdays and for a limited time you can pick up some good battle rifle clones which are demilled , shipped here , and reassembled . You can stay close to 800 for a top notch example of each battle action now , so why not as you can buy one of each ?

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO if you shoot a commie gun then shoot commie glass , for a lot of reasons it costs more to make our optics work on thier guns reliably .
    I agree. You may get a U.S. scope to work well, but in my experience you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration by going with a Russian scope.

JT
    What I like about the Soviet mounting system is I have a Red Dot and a scope for my VEPR that I can change back and forth between, without loosing my zero.

These are what I have...

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=78

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=468

You may get a U.S. scope to work well, but in my experience you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration by going with a Russian scope.
    Ill do that I get a commie rifle. Heck... for $200 and under, these scopes seem to have alot of neat options like rangefinder, illumination.

On the end of quality optics the " commie " socpe will usualy deliver less for every dollar ya spend , howeaver it will deliver a wideer range of adjustments . so under 600 to 1k cheap glass is good , commie or not , there is no need for top optics at under 600 yards now . Parden me while i put my flame suit on but there it is lol .

What I like about the Soviet mounting system is I have a Red Dot and a scope for my VEPR that I can change back and forth between, without loosing my zero.
    That is most impressive! you can use the best of both worlds.

On the end of quality optics the " commie " socpe will usualy deliver less for every dollar ya spend , howeaver it will deliver a wideer range of adjustments . so under 600 to 1k cheap glass is good , commie or not , there is no need for top optics at under 600 yards now . Parden me while i put my flame suit on but there it is lol .
    No flames from me, I agree. Besides 600y is a bit of a streach for this rifle, even 400y. All I care for is a decent picture, and a zero that will hold. The bells & whistles are a neat little bonus.
    Last edited by gregarat; March 21st, 2007 at 08:46 PM.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    On the end of quality optics the " commie " socpe will usualy deliver less for every dollar ya spend , howeaver it will deliver a wideer range of adjustments .
    I don't agree with the "deliver less for every dollar" part. There's no denying that a high dollar U.S. scope is better than the Russian made ones. But if we're talking under $200, I think you're going to get more value from a POSP or a PSO, than a U.S. made scope. There’s a big difference between the Russian PSOP and PSO scopes (which are current military issue) and the stuff the Chinese made for the U.S. market.

And for Red Dot's, the Russian Kobra is very good quality for the money.
    Last edited by JT; March 21st, 2007 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links