Shotgun's from the hip

This is a discussion on Shotgun's from the hip within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My camera is broken, but this is almost exactly what my shotgun looks like, but mine is black. I have the choice of firing it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun's from the hip

Shotgun's from the hip

My camera is broken, but this is almost exactly what my shotgun looks like, but mine is black.

I have the choice of firing it with the stock up or from the hip.
    At close range, maybe about 10 feet max, I can pretty much blow anything up from the hip on target.
    If it was at close range with my Surefire beam at night, anything would go down.
    The other day I was shooting it at a range and a couple of people
    told me, that it was a bad habit. I'm taking my chances at not hitting my target.
    Then why do they make stocks this way?
    I also read an old Chuck Hawkes article that said never to do that with a Shotgun.
    Let me get your opinions.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My opinion is dont shoot from the hip , or anywhere else you are not supported and do not have a visual index . Shotguns are a fine close inn weapon if setup right , but by no means are they or should they be a shot and pray weapon .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Make them like that for storage more than anything

trying to control a pistol grip shotgun and be accurate is fairly hard normally try it when you adrenalin is flowing

It's defenetly more monuverable around corners with it folded.
    If I had to shoot it across my living room I just hope I would have the stock out asap.
    The storage part is true, easier to hide.

I couldnt shoot a shotgun withought a stock, if my life depended on it.

I would rather have a 4 point weld, than take a foot off the total length so I can manuver more easly.

VIP Member
    Keep in mind that at close range, you can still miss by shooting from the hip..........

I have a couple of holes in my barn to prove it. My wife tried to kill a snake by shooting from the hip at about 10 feet.....the result was a 2-3 inch hole in the steel wall!.....the snake was unharmed....until, she then shouldered the weapon & finished the job properly.

If the length of pull is an issue, cut down the stock (I have two shotguns I've done this to...) or put a collapsible stock instead of a folding style stock. (the folding style stocks seem to have a long length of pull)

Then as you proceed to clear the rooms, you have the shotgun shouldered & at the low ready position....(remember not to point barrel at anything you aren't willing to destroy ........it could just be your spouse or kid getting a drink from the fridge!)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Shooting from the hip, just like Johny Yuma. If anyone is old enough to remember The Rebel. Shooting from the hip would be hard on me.

VIP Member
    Shooting from the hip with only a pistol grip is also hard on the wrist. Even when using only the pistol grip I bring mine up to where my arm and shoulder take the recoil. I also stand a better chance of hitting what I want to that way.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    aimed fire is always better. close contact or storage are the reasons for a folding/collapse stock.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Johnny Yuma

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Shooting from the hip, just like Johny Yuma. If anyone is old enough to remember The Rebel. Shooting from the hip would be hard on me.
    WOW Nick Adams - I had forgotten about that show. Of course his carry piece was a bit on the "short side".
    DoubleR"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

If the length of pull is an issue, cut down the stock (I have two shotguns I've done this to...) or put a collapsible stock instead of a folding style stock. (the folding style stocks seem to have a long length of pull)
    The length is no big deal.
    The reason actually that I didn't get the collapsable stock is that it
    was not comfortable for me, even though it looked cool.
    The stock I have on there now is actually pretty comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Then why do they make stocks this way?
    So that the SG is more compact- easier to carry and store. I actually had to qualify shooting from the hip, in corrections. I won't get into the legal convolutions that brought that about, but it was interesting.

Bear in mind- you are sending a string of shot towards a target. Even with 00, pellets have a way of goiung where you don't want/didn't expect them to go. Can you do it? Yes. Adviseable as something you "train in"? Probably not. Point shooting won't hurt you, but don't make it your default.

you're as likely to need to shoot backwards as you are to ever need to shoot from the hip....

ive never understood the people that show up at the outdoor range and light off from the hip. its always someone that makes you nervous handling a firearm, someone you can just tell isnt taking things as seriously as they should.

Ok, let me swim against the stream for a moment.

Who here practices shooting their pistol from low and ready? Possibly in a three-shot body rake starting from draw through full-extended arms shooting?

I view shooting a shotty from the hip as very similar. Probably not as a primary function of the gun but you should at least understand how it feels to shoot it that way. First shot from the hip, second shot from the shoulder.

Thoughts? Am I being a loose-cannon here?

Edit to add: I am speaking of a full stock, of course, not a pistol grip.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Shooting from the hip would be my last resort, please let me make that clear.
    But if it's extremely close quarters and my laser is pointing at my target, I would think that it's very likely that I would hit it.
    A hand gun is not like a long gun as far as shooting from the hip
    in close quarters, say within 5 feet.
    With a long gun, shooting from the hip would be more controlable because you are using 2 hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links