Help with AK-47 from anyone in Connecticut

This is a discussion on Help with AK-47 from anyone in Connecticut within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For all fellow Connecticutians (?), I'm wondering about the legality of the AK-47 "type" rifles. The CT AWB lists AK-47 "type" weapons, but I saw ...

Thread: Help with AK-47 from anyone in Connecticut

Help with AK-47 from anyone in Connecticut

For all fellow Connecticutians (?), I'm wondering about the legality of the AK-47 "type" rifles. The CT AWB lists AK-47 "type" weapons, but I saw them being sold at the Waterbury gun show this past weekend. I asked the dealer and he said as long as it was chambered in something smaller than 7.62x39, it was ok. His "AKs" were 5.45x39mm. I really wanted to buy one as the price was good, but I didn't since I've read the AWB on the DPS website. I have an email into the DPS about this, but I figure it will take forever for them to answer. Also, it seems the "AK" in 5.45 is actually an AK-74 and NOT a 47, but the verbiage of "AK-47 TYPE rifles" scares me. Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Ads

Check in over at www.warriortalk.com- the Kalashnikov forum. I believe a CT resident was on there,not long ago.....

Anything in 5.45 or .223 like the romanian wasr-2, or wasr 3 is fine so long as it is in postban config. I have seen more than a few stores with ak-74 clones. Just nothing in 7.62, stupid huh? It used to be that ak "type" was defined as long as it did not say ak-47, on it, it was fine. The state illegally in 2001 or 2002 decided in it's wisdom that previously legal 7.62 were types, and have to be registered. The state police lent out a note saying an ak, not chambered in 7.62 is fine.
    Last edited by nate392; March 26th, 2007 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks guys. Apparently, now any AK in 7.62 is to be rendered permanently inoperable or turned into the police. They cannot be registered now and the only provision is for someone on active duty military that's away who has a pre-ban AK and they have to register it in something like 90 days. The DPS website says it's a felony if you keep it. Wonder how long until ANYTHING that even looks like an AK will be banned.

Update on AK in 5.45 in CT

Well, I already bought it. Turns out you have to meet three criteria in CT for it to be an illegal AK-47 "TYPE" rifle. I called/emailed the Dept. of Public Safety and this is what I was told.

1) Physical resemblance to AK-47
    2) Similar function to AK-47
    3) Can use interchangeable parts from AK-47

And can only have two "evil" assault rifle features. Mine has the pistol grip and removable magazine. I have a muzzle break and it's NOT a flash suppressor, officer!

Two out of three, but the AK-74 internals are not interchangeable with the AK-47. No way to even physically fire 7.62 out of a 5.45 barrel anyway! Also, CT state troopers inspect every single dealer before the gun show even starts. Turns out they arrested two out of state dealers. My dealer is in CT and if the rifle wasn't legal, he AND it wouldn't have been there. Besides, I walked out the front with it past the troopers at the entrance. The also had pain clothed officers at the entire show as well... But, I'll keep the printed email from the DPS and the dealer paperwork showing I bought it in CT because I'm sure someone's going to ask about it someday since it looks like an AK-47.

VIP Member
    I swear when this thread started, I was reading some sort of joke I did not get..... ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

JT
    Wow. I feel for you.

God bless Texas.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Lead Moderator
    No kidding. glad you got some type of AK variant. Might consider stock piling some ammo, before it becomes scarce.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Well, at least it's better than NY and Mass.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Thumbs down

" Also, CT state troopers inspect every single dealer before the gun show even starts. Turns out they arrested two out of state dealers."
    -------
    Did they Arrest them just for Possession ?

(I've seen Police make Dealers remove stuff from their table at shows- but that's all )

An FFL can Possess and Transport any Firearm covered by his type of License - Even Full- Auto.

A possession charge won't stick.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

That is true that an ffl can posses firearms depending on what level ffl they are(class 3 etc), but there license has to follow state laws as well, and since our state has an awb unfortunately for possession, well

Fludy12, you have to post a pic so we can admire the rifle and also tell us how she shoots.

I am glad that you started this thread. I thought all AK type rifles were banned in our state. I might have to go out and get a -74.

this is a different tack but certain configurations of the AR (like a retractable buttstock) are also not allowed here I actually look into getting a .223 SU-16CA because I thought if it is allowed in California it should be allowed here in CT. However, all I see is the -16A version that reportedly had a lot of problems.

I really have to read the provisions of the CT AWB. thanks.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Links