Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000?

This is a discussion on Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would go with the K.T. Get one that uses your Glock mags and you will have a handy carbine....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000?

Administrator
    I would go with the K.T. Get one that uses your Glock mags and you will have a handy carbine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I saw someone at the range a while ago empty a Glock mag through the Kel-Tec very rapidly. IIRC it was 30 rounds of 9mm into about a 3 inch group at 50 feet.

It seemed as easy as if he were shooting a .22lr -- almost no correction for recoil. I believe he was shooting reloads since he picked up his brass but I don't remember thinking he was pitching slowballs. He said they're available locally for less than $300. I want one.

kpw
    That's the one big drawback to the Hi Point, mag capacity. I have a bunch of extra mags for it but it would be nice to have higher caps and if it would take Glock mags that would be the cat's rearend. The KelTec wasn't out when I bought the Hi Point so that wasn't an option. For $219 w/laser and muzzle thingy (tech term for brake/flash suppressor whatever on a 9mm?), not bad. Add $30 bucks for cheap red dot and a bunch of ammo over the years and the kids love the thing. I'd really like to get a Beretta but those are way out of my price range for a pistol cal. carbine.

After listening to everything and doing additional research on my own, I believe I have my heart set on a Kel-Tec.

Now, to save the money. But, life just keeps on intruding on my desires. Today I wanted to mow the grass for the first time this year and guess what. The old lawn mower crapped out on me.
    I was half expecting it but, it sure doesn't make it any easier to go tomorrow and buy a new one.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Have you looked at the Beretta CX4 in 9mm? I know they can be had used around my neck of the woods for under 400 bucks. I dont like them as my as my 9mm Ar but prefer them over the kel tec or the high points.

I live near the kel tec factory and i know several people that work there. Very good business and customer support. I find their guns a little odd but other then that geat weapons. I would choose the Kel tec over the high point.

You can find good deals on used 9mm AR's. Just saw one the other day at my gun shop for 550 if i didn't have one now i would have bought it.

Just trying to give you some more options

Adam

From what I've heard, the newer sub2000's are great...the older ones on the other hand (ie MINE) are a POS. Mine never functioned correctly out of the box. I've had nothing but FTE's,FTF's, and stove pipes from mine. If I use regular ammo, it jams at random intervals but at least every 4 rounds or so. It's the glock 17 9mm version. Regular ammo type doesn't matter nor does magazines, I've tried everything under the sun, from just about every regular ammo type, to new, used, and larger mags. The ONLY thing I've found that cycles SEMI-reliably is +P ammo and even that's hairy sometimes.. It just won't cycle regular ammo.
    Hence my apprehension to ever buy anything Keltec again. It's just been a royal pain in the @r$3 from day 1. About the only thing I could do is send it in for repair/replacement. And to be quite honest, if it takes that much for a gun to work right...I don't really want to trust it. So I keep it around to toy with every now and then.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Today I wanted to mow the grass for the first time this year and guess what. The old lawn mower crapped out on me.
    I was half expecting it but, it sure doesn't make it any easier to go tomorrow and buy a new one.
    LOL you too huh...My riding mower has some funky c clip things that hold the wheels on...got going on my second pass around the yard, made a turn, and the darn right rear wheel just started rolling down the hill about the same time I noticed I was leaning slightly to the right...darn c clip broke!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hi-point carbine

Well it's the ugliest thing in the world, we call it the Planet of the Apes
    gun.. With that in mind, ugly in sometimes beautiful.. The gun will chew
    up 9mm like nothing else. It's very accurate.. The 10 round mags are a problem.. I added 1911 bumper pads under bottom of mags to help in seating mags.. This would be the largest selling carbine EVER if it had a 20-25 round mag.. You can drop it in mud, run it over with your car and it still works.. Again with the magazines-If the little tips on the end brake off, just throw it out.. It's light and easy to carry..
    A plus that you can run any 9mm through it.. Which makes it actually a better gun to own then any 9mm pistol.. In head to head tests it has out done the Ruger, Marlin and the Kel-tec.. Hope this helps!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dwalexk View Post
    Well it's the ugliest thing in the world, we call it the Planet of the Apes
    gun.. With that in mind, ugly in sometimes beautiful.. The gun will chew up 9mm like nothing else. It's very accurate.. The 10 round mags are a problem.. I added 1911 bumper pads under bottom of mags to help in seating mags.. This would be the largest selling carbine EVER if it had a 20-25 round mag.. You can drop it in mud, run it over with your car and it still works.. Again with the magazines-If the little tips on the end brake off, just throw it out.. It's light and easy to carry.. A plus that you can run any 9mm through it.. Which makes it actually a better gun to own then any 9mm pistol.. In head to head tests it has out done the Ruger, Marlin and the Kel-tec.. Hope this helps!!
    I think the Colombine Killers used them. Not that firearms share guilt by association since they can't be "guilty" of anything. It's just me. Same reason I refuse to own an AK or any variant. I refuse to own something (albeit a fine weapon by any standard) that belongs to the WARSAW pact arsenal. It's just me.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I think the Colombine Killers used them. Not that firearms share guilt by association since they can't be "guilty" of anything. It's just me. Same reason I refuse to own an AK or any variant. I refuse to own something (albeit a fine weapon by any standard) that belongs to the WARSAW pact arsenal. It's just me.
    The I think shooters on the train in Connecticut? and Luby's used Ruger pistols. The kid in Oregon used a Glock and the DC snipers used a Bushy AR. I think if you look through a history of shootings, you might find some of your favorites on that list. My Grandad brought back a Mauser, a P-38 and an FN M1900 from Europe. It wasn't the guns that bothered him later, it was how he aquired them. I kinda understand what you mean, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    The I think shooters on the train in Connecticut? and Luby's used Ruger pistols. The kid in Oregon used a Glock and the DC snipers used a Bushy AR. I think if you look through a history of shootings, you might find some of your favorites on that list. My Grandad brought back a Mauser, a P-38 and an FN M1900 from Europe. It wasn't the guns that bothered him later, it was how he aquired them. I kinda understand what you mean, though.
    The train shooter used a Glock, I'm almost certain. But I don't attach the actions of lone gunmen to decisions to buy weapons. I wouldn't own a hi-point but it's not because I blame Colombine on them. I do own two Rugers. Both were gifts from family. I'll never buy a Ruger. Why? Bill Ruger Sr (the LATE) supported the AWB and if you'll notice that support left him OFF the first designated list issued by the Clinton regime. Again, that's just me. For the duration of the Clinton regime, I didn't purchase a S&W because they sold gunowners out. Clinton left office, the AWB vanished and S&W changed hands. Now, I own a M642 with plans to purchase the BIG BOY SURVIVAL KIT. 460 Magnum in the watertight case.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    PackinNova, You really ought to head over to ktog.org and have those guys help you get your subbie working right. There's a bunch of Subbie gurus over there that will probably be able to diagnose your problem and tell you how to fix it. Not to mention Kel-Tec has some of the best customer service around, give em' a call and send it back to them and you'll get it back running right for the cost of shipping.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Umm maybe it is just around here but my father in law was able to purchase 2 30rd hi point mags that work with both his pistol and the carbine.

Am I really the only person here who has seen these?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I'm a little late to the thread, but what about this guy?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/13470

Kel-tec, carbine, .223, sub 500 bucks. Sounds like all the things you want?
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Carbines

We rent the Hi Point on our range. Very popular and much easier for untrained shooters to hit with than a pistol. No experience with JHP in it, it only gets shot with range ball. One of the local PDs (a smaller one) issues the 2000 in .40 with Glock magazines. Had to sight all of them in when they were delivered and add a laser to them. The only issue with any of them was that two needed to have the front sight almost all the way over to one side to be zeroed. One was totally out of room for adjustment, the other mostly so. The 8 or 10 others were normal. No problems with their duty ammo, Remington 180gr JHP or factory Glock 22 mags.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links