Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000?

This is a discussion on Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am interested in both of these gun as they are moderately priced and seem to be just about perfect for home defense applications. Anyone ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000?

Anyone own either a Hipoint carbine or a Kel-tec Sub2000?

I am interested in both of these gun as they are moderately priced and seem to be just about perfect for home defense applications.

Anyone who owns either please post a report on them.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I only owned a Highpoint model C9 9mm pistol... and that was for a very short time. You know... the gun itself was okay... I ended up trading it in not long after I bought it, just because I never really liked the feel of the gun. It shot fine... never really had any feeding problems... It was quite finiky about ammo after a few rounds... as long as the feed ramp was shiny clean, it would shoot just about anything, but after 30 or 40 rounds, some ammo would start giving it problems... It was usually the cheaper stuff that I could find on sale.

I certainly felt a difference in quality compared to some of the higher-end guns I've owned, but nothing that would really keep me from buying another one if they came out with something I wanted.

Haven't shot a Kel Tec in a long long time, and it was a friends gun, so I really can't comment on them.

As for the Highpoint, my experience with the pistol was good enough that I wouldn't hesitate on a Highpoint carbine if the price was right. But my experience with the Highpoint would make me double and triple check how the ammo fed through the thing if it was going to be my first line of home defense... but then I double and triple check any ammo in any gun that is securing my family.

Have fun choosing, and then give us a range report when you pick up the new gun.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I have the Sub 2000, in 9mm Glock 17 mag). I have three Glock 33rd mags, and three G17 mags. I even use the 17 mags, as my spare for my G19.

It has never jamed on me. The rifle looks flimsy, but is quite robust. Its accuracy is alittle over 2" at 50y, with heavy HP ammo. Thats not too bad, seeing the rifle is only good for alittle over 100y. I could get better accuracy if I added a rail and optics. I decided not to do this, cause I like the folding option more.The only thing I added is a makeshift recoil pad.

I mostly hear bad press from the Hi Point carbine...

I'm about to add the HiPoint carbine to my collection, just because--I had a chance to shoot one a couple of months back and it had the replacement stock ( aftermarket ) I liked the gun enough to put it on my list of things to buy.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I have a 995 and a 4095 carbine. My 4095 is setup as a HD gun with a light on the front.

Review... Cheap to own and shoot. Very reliable, good ghost ring sights, accessories are inexpensive, accurate out to 100 yards and no recoil. Not high end but easy to shoot.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I've owned both the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in 40 & 9mm. I loved the 9mm a pleasure to shoot, very reliable and fun to shoot. I returned the 40 as it was very painful for me to shoot having a pretty sharp recoil. Short and sharp. It's no fun.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I used to have a Kel-tec in .40sw , sold it - it worked fine ,
    I just lost interest in pistol cal. rifles.

SBRs or Full auto is of course a different story
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks for the responses guys.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I'm really surprised that Advanced Technology is the only company making a replacement for the High Point. There's more than enough people buying them..??

Would also be a lot nicer if High Point made a carbine that took magazines for other firearms. I'd probably pick one up if I could use my S&W magazines in it.

Just curious, why do you want to go with a pistol caliber carbine for home defense use? A frangible .223 round has more punch vs. an intruder, won't go through as many interior walls, and has less chance of overpenetration.

kpw
    I've had a Hi Point 9mm for a while now. Eats anything I put through it and accurate enough for 100+ yards. I have a cheap red dot and a laser mounted on it. I had no real reason to get it at the time but my kids LOVE shooting the thing. The Gold Dots eek out a bit more velocity that puts it in .357 range. Decent power for HD and not anywhere near the muzzle blast of a .223 or a shotgun indoors. It would be my first choice to hand to one of my older kids if I needed their help holding down the fort. They are quite comfortable and familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Just curious, why do you want to go with a pistol caliber carbine for home defense use? A frangible .223 round has more punch vs. an intruder, won't go through as many interior walls, and has less chance of overpenetration.
    Because my wife will use it unlike a 40 cal handgun. If it is stolen from the car no big deal unlike a $700 AR platform. I have lots of ammo for it unlike a new platform. For distances in a home, it will get the job done. Lastly a heck of a lot less noise IMHO.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

i've owned both. i sold the hi point because of the 10 round capacity. reloading that often was a drag, otherwise it was a good gun. my sub 2000 is a beretta version with the stock extension, and a rubber butt pad i glued on it. with the cheapo 30 round mags, it's much more fun to plink with. utterly reliable with umc ammo, and very accurate out to about 70 yards. wwb ammo tends to hang up in the cheap mags, and a couple of 15 round mecgars i have. wwb works fine in the factory 10 round mag though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Simple answer is: they cost a hell of a lot less that an AR. They cost less to buy AND feed.
    I have 5 kids. The wife and I both work full time and we still are just getting buy. Not much in the discretionary funds account if you know what I mean. So, $300 to $500 for a HiPoint or a Kel-Tec is a lot more affordable for me than $1200 for a good AR platform.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have a good AR, or even a second tier AR platform but, no money to do that. Heck, even the HiPoint or Kel-Tek would be a stretch most months.

But, Like someone else said, the little carbine would be something one of the older kids could handle pretty easy if the time came to repel boarders.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Poor college student here, so I understand the money thing. Have you looked at the Kel-Tec SU-16 rifles? They're a bit more expensive than the SUB-2000, but quite a bit less than an AR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links