Bought a Tapco Stock for my SKS

This is a discussion on Bought a Tapco Stock for my SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a Tapco Stock for my SKS Was looking for a new stock for my gun, saw one of these stocks at a pumpkin shoot ...

Thread: Bought a Tapco Stock for my SKS

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Was looking for a new stock for my gun, saw one of these stocks at a pumpkin shoot and really liked it. Got one and went about installing it. Pluses with this stock are
    Collapsible AR style stock, assembled rifle is 36 ½”-40 ½” long
    Pistol grip
    Integrated rail
    Able to disassemble easily
    Uber cool/ Uber cheap Black rifle look!!

First prove weapon (duh!!)
    Disassemble as per normal
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

Assemble the Butt of the new stock into the stock (light taps and two bolts to tighten)
    Slide the rifle into the stock, you may have to spread the stock slightly to get the rifle to fit. Now mount the pistol grip, you should get a ¼ socket drive for this.This part is very easy. Now disassemble the hand guard and install the new one……

After much cursing and swearing, and fussing you will reach this part.
    The rear of the hand guard is held in by a pin running just below the gas tube. You are supposed to be able to “tap” this out…..right, sure

According to this article, the pin is supposed to go out one way.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/atistock/hs.asp

The offender

But my rifle (Norcino) had a pin that was the same size on both sides. In fact it turned out the pin was peened over on both sides. Careful use of a drift, hammer and swearing, along with carefully applied heat got the pin moving. I had to tap it both ways to get mine to move. Once it was out the end cover comes off easy and the gas tube can be assembled. Now come the next fun part, getting the pin back on, as the end cover does not line up exactly, this will take fiddling to get the pin in and tapped back into place. All done right……not quite, when trying to replace the top hand guard I realized that the hold down lever would not close, the handguard was a little high, there are some small “feet” which needed filing and with a little fiddling, and a gentle tap from a rubber mallet everything fell into place.

Haven’t tested fired the gun yet, but did function checks and every thing seems fine. I like the look of the gun and it feels good to hold and a bit better than the ATI stocks I played with.
    The stock needs some of the sharp edges gently sanded. I found the mounting of the pistol grip rather “inelegant” basically a big screw.

I might look at putting a bolt though the stock to hold it in place. The designer was thoughtful however and made a springed flap that lifts up to revel access to the takedown button and the butt makes a handy storage place for those odds and ends that you got with the rifle. Haven’t tried fitting anything to the rail, will go to Canadian Tire (aka crappy tire) and buy a cheap red dot.

Would I buy it again? So far the answer is yes.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Looks Good!

I'm normally not a Fan of "Crapco" stuff , But that stock
    seems to "work" for Function And Looks on an SKS .
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Hate to steal your thunder but... is it still 922r compliant like that..?

You know the saying, "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile"... BATFE likes that kind of thing.

IANAL, but I think the SKS is imported under the "sporting purposes" exception, meaning that 922r does not apply.

922r (whatever that is) does not apply up here.

Sorry forgot you were in Vancouver BC.. Not Vancouver WA...

MD, from BC, now in WA....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Understand here i am not advocating violating any law at all but 922r compliansy imho is a boogyman under the bed . I had occasion to visit with an BATFE agent who was doing an inspection , and not only witnessed him handle non compliant rifles on the shelves , but actualy make a face to face purchace of one that a customerof the shop brought down for his inspection due to conversation . I knew the customer , and knew the rifle , so no question it was not legally assembled . Me being myself I queried the agent on this , and on his plans . He advised me that the rifle was for personal use , and that no agents he knows can for shure sort out compliancy , any questions and the gun is shipped back to the lab for inspection . He further stated that in his opinion its a non issue , It might get charged ( he was not personally aware f a case where it had been against anyone not assembling firearms for a living ) but if so it would be a " hold me " charge that may or may not fly , but a reason not to turn someone loose while other charges are prepared . He stated he would be making some changes that might or might not bring the rifle into compliance , but he personally wasn't going to sweat it too much for the above listed reasons . Now its been about 9 months since then , and no repercussions at all for the fella that sold the rifle ( i dobut honestly he knew or would care if he did about 922r ) so i guess the agent told me the truth , at least the truth in colorado . Now myself , If an agent, any agent , even this one asks about a specific gun , i ask back " What the heck is one of them ? " lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Ok guys you have me really confussed. I thought that a Norinco ( which I own one ) SKS is a preban rifle. I know there is no longer a ban but I thought they still can not ship Chinness weaponery here to the US. I also did some mod to my SKS which I bought over 10 years ago. I put a different syn. stock on it. Not the kind Colin did but a Dragonoff (I know spelled wrong). Did I break the law? Having some American parts in it sounds really stupid to me. Of what value is that?

Ben i for one am not qualified to explain 922r , howeaver ill give it a go as best i understand it . Some sks for example you can change at will , some you cannot , for instance if the rifle was originaly imported as a C&R ( no matter how it was later sold ) you can change nothing on it unless you go 922r compliant ( which is basicly an enumerated 10 us made parts ) If you do 1 or 9 you are " non compliant " . Now take an FAL or ak kit , If you simply put on a us reciever your non compliant , but if you add/change out a total of 10 parts ( including nonsense such as mag baseplates ) to us mfg then you are compliant , so we see situations where a mag change on a high cap rifle may well be a federal felony . This is why the agent expressed to me its a non issue as far as ownership goes , its virtualy non winnable in court .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

Was looking for a new stock for my gun, saw one of these stocks at a pumpkin shoot and really liked it. Got one and went about installing it.
    Yes the handguard was a pain in the hindquarters. I went through this a few months ago.

Next thing you want to do is get this 20 round removable magazine from Tapco. It works as advertised, and you can take it out and put it back in easy as pie! And it's designed to work with the T6.

I have a 16" norenko that has the standard 10 round mag , and the plans and equipment to convert it to take ak mags , Now i am studying just how to legaly do this ( compliance as listed here ) since as stated i consider it the " boogyman under the bed " i still have enough 3 year old in me not to want to get got on an obvious change such as takeing ak mags , tho there was a d model imported exacly like mine that did take ak mags lol .

VIP Member
    Ok Redneck I should be legal then because I only changed out stock, handguard, and put a Reddot on it. Is my thinking right?

I'm going the easy way myself, buying a .223 Saiga and putting the fun parts back on it. I would eventually like to get the Galil M16 magazine adaptor on it too, then I can go overboard with US compliance parts..

i.e
    USA built G2 trigger 3 parts
    USA built Nato length stock 1 part
    USA built Pistol grip 1 part
    USA built M16 mag 3 parts

8 US parts

If I add a forend and a muzzle attachment that is another 2 USA built parts..

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Yes the handguard was a pain in the hindquarters. I went through this a few months ago.

Next thing you want to do is get this 20 round removable magazine from Tapco. It works as advertised, and you can take it out and put it back in easy as pie! And it's designed to work with the T6.

Now that would be nice, but pointless up here, as the mag would have to be pinned to 5 rds. Even the current mag is pinned to 5. Only bolt action rifles are allowed to be more than 5 rds... So it's ok to be shot by a 10 rd .303 No. 4, but not by a 10 rd SKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Now that would be nice, but pointless up here, as the mag would have to be pinned to 5 rds. Even the current mag is pinned to 5. Only bolt action rifles are allowed to be more than 5 rds... So it's ok to be shot by a 10 rd .303 No. 4, but not by a 10 rd SKS.
    Get a mouser with the 20 round trench mag

Yep, weird laws on both sides of the border, I remember seeing full size mags for AKM and AR rifles with the mag fixed at 5...

Years back (in the mid 80's) my neighbour bought a milled Norinco, it came with full mags at 30 rounds a mag... I haven't seen it in years though.

Links