New AR (Pic) and optics ?

This is a discussion on New AR (Pic) and optics ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought my first AR-15 last week. It's a new Bushy. I really like it so far. I'm mostly a pistol guy, but my State ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR (Pic) and optics ?

I bought my first AR-15 last week. It's a new Bushy. I really like it so far. I'm mostly a pistol guy, but my State (good ol' MA) was making some moves to ban AR-15 outright, so I made picked one up. The rifle is tons of fun to shoot.

My club range is 200 yards long and I don't have the best eye sight (saving up for laser surg), what type of scope would you guys recommend? I have a shotgun for HD, so I'm mostly looking for something that I can really shoot well at the club out at 200yds (which I know isn't all that far), with pretty high magnification for my weak eyes. I'd like to spend $200-$500. Anyone have anything that has really worked well for them?

Thanks!!

Is that the new tactical sock I see in the bottom of the picture?

Just kidding. But congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll like it.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    Leopold and Nikon make some excellent optics in that price range, in all sorts of power configurations, both fixed and variable. For a few bucks more you could get an ACOG (though they might be low power for your purposes).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

How do you like the magazine that you have pictured?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    How do you like the magazine that you have pictured?
    I have some of those mags, they work well but the lips will break with hard use. I still use the good 'ole GI mags when it counts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

first is the carry handle fixed or removable?

I have a cheap scope and mount on my Panther II with a fixed handle and it is good to 500 yds - even has a built in bullet drop compensator...

if it is removable you have a lot more options... with a fixed handle you have to find a mount that is acceptable first. I have this setup from the AR15.com web site - depending on your eyes though you may want a larger diameter optic (gathers more light)

4x20 Mini AR-15/M-16 Scope
    Code: LES420M
    Price: $39.95

the company is Galati

Hi Guys,

Cheap plastic 30rd mag: we have an AWB here in MA so it was the only pre-ban the store had on hand. It will be replaced.

Yup, it's an A3 removable handle.

And, YES that is a tactical sock pictured, failure to wear one could put myself and my family at risk.

Thanks for the feedback

Sweet! I picked up a M4A3 Bushmaster recently too. Just fired it yesterday for the first time. Very nice. I'm looking for optics recommendation too. I'm thinking along the Red Dot line.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    That looks like a Bushmaster XM-15E2S - the exact same one I purchased two months back. Am I right? I absolutely love that weapon. I've since ordered roughly $350 worth of stuff from Bushmaster as well. Wish I could give ya some pointers about optics, but I'm an extreme novice about them, also. I'd like to hear some suggestions as well.... The carbine isn't the greatest for long range work, but I've heard it's pretty good out to about 300 yards.

Congrats on an awesome purchase!!!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 77bob View Post
    Sweet! I picked up a M4A3 Bushmaster recently too. Just fired it yesterday for the first time. Very nice. I'm looking for optics recommendation too. I'm thinking along the Red Dot line.
    EoTech. Expensive, yes. But built like a tank and very nice.

I have a 512, which is the AA powered model, so battery replacements are cheap and easy to source.

I have mine on a Larue Tactical riser mount, which lets me take the sight off and pop it back on with excellent return to zero.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    For those of you who are thinking red dot type sights take a look at aimpoint. They make excellent quality sights if you are willing to spend around $500.

For scopes with strong magnification, look at leupold or nikon. Just make sure that they are rated for sitting on a semi-auto because those can be hard on scopes.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Nice AR...

I also have the AR-15 BushMaster...flat top...with an EO Tech Holographic scope...sweet...(it's worth the $$$)

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I mounted a trijicon TriPower on my Colt 6920.

Fiber Optic
    Tritium
    Battery Backup

The chevron reticule is fast up close and allows for some precision at distance. It also has limited range finding abilities by using the chevron base to subtense.

So far, I'm going on 3 years with the original batteries.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Administrator
    There is one ELCAN (Like New In Box) w/o warranty on Gunbroker for a decent price being as they retail for about a grand or slightly more.

Finest magnification battle optic made. 3.4X
    A bit over your $500 limit though but, not by too much (all things considered)

Search Gunbroker for ELCAN and you'll spot the one...there are 4 listed now.

Here is the ELCAN Thumbnail/Specs page - CLICK HERE
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

EOTech is only way to go... I am saving my pennies for one myself. Oh how I wish my Colt A2 Govt. Carbine was a flat top!

Still with an ARMS mount forward of the carry handle, the EOTech is perfect.

Mass-Diver... you have an awesome piece of hardware! Have fun with it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links