What's the point? 11.5'' barrel +5.5'' flash suppressor

This is a discussion on What's the point? 11.5'' barrel +5.5'' flash suppressor within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm getting close to buying my first AR. Probably a Bushmaster M4 A3. Anyway I noticed they offer variations with a 11.5'' barrel with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the point? 11.5'' barrel +5.5'' flash suppressor

What's the point? 11.5'' barrel +5.5'' flash suppressor

I'm getting close to buying my first AR. Probably a Bushmaster M4 A3. Anyway I noticed they offer variations with a 11.5'' barrel with a 5.5'' flash suppressor to make it leagal for sale with out a stamp.
    I'm just curious as to what the practical purpose of this would be over just getting a full 16'' barrel.

It just seems to me that you get the worst of both worlds. You get the handling drawbacks of the longer barrel with all the velocity loss of the shorter one. You don't even get the cool looks of a short stubby barrel because you got that ugly extra long flash suppressor hanging out there.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the practical purpose of this setup might be?
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

2. Remove Ads

You've stated it's only purpose, which is to be at the legal length.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'd go for a 15" barrel and a good 1" suppressor myself. Think you're right on with the B.S. value of a 5.5" suppressor.

Administrator
    What you get with a good (properly designed) flash suppressor is some decent flash suppression.
    A good solid 2" suppressor should do it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    A more cynical man might suppose that the purpose is to allow you to remove the suppressor, or replace it with a shorter version, and have an illegal SBR off the books.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
    A more cynical man might suppose that the purpose is to allow you to remove the suppressor, or replace it with a shorter version, and have an illegal SBR off the books.
    I believe all shorter than 16" barrels are required to be permenantly attached. Its all about looksw/ the 5.5 flash hider. early CAR 15's did have a long flash hider attached.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It's just looks... some people like that kind of thing. Hey, to each their own.

I'll stay with a 16" barrel until such a time as the government ceases to infringe on my rights by regulating barrel length.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

JT
    It serves no puropse, other than some think it is "tacti-cool". Same length but you loose actual barrel length, and thereby performance.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'd go with the take it off and have an illegally short barrel idea.

Or else maybe you don't want your rounds to have so much velocity...there are positive benefits to reduced velocity you know.

owning something other than a .223 would make sense for those purposes though

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I'm getting close to buying my first AR. Probably a Bushmaster M4 A3. Anyway I noticed they offer variations with a 11.5'' barrel with a 5.5'' flash suppressor to make it leagal for sale with out a stamp.
    I'm just curious as to what the practical purpose of this would be over just getting a full 16'' barrel.

It just seems to me that you get the worst of both worlds. You get the handling drawbacks of the longer barrel with all the velocity loss of the shorter one. You don't even get the cool looks of a short stubby barrel because you got that ugly extra long flash suppressor hanging out there.

Zilch. Under 14",you lose an awful lot, in .223.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Or else maybe you don't want your rounds to have so much velocity...there are positive benefits to reduced velocity you know.
    If you want reduced velocity, use lower powered ammo. That way you have the option of having higher velocity with standard ammo when you want it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    Well, if you got an SBR stamp for it sometime in the future you could get rid of the 5.5" flash supressor and put something more reasonable on there. That's about the only 'advantage' I can see.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Well, if you got an SBR stamp for it sometime in the future you could get rid of the 5.5" flash supressor and put something more reasonable on there. That's about the only 'advantage' I can see.
    It will cost you more to have it removed/refinished than it would be to buy a new barrel. Other than "looking cool" what need does the average Joe have for a 11" AR anyway?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Why not get a Kel-Tec PLR-16. You get a modified AR style platfom but with a short (9") barrel because it's listed as a pistol, and it cost a lot less than any of the AR's you'll find (unless you get a GOOD deal on a used one). They run about $500 new and another $100 will trick it out. I have one and it's a "blast".
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I bought one as an investment way back on the day they were voting on the ban. It's my "Charles Schumer Special" Short barrel, long flash hider, bayonette lug, collapsible stock. As politically incorrect as you can get! I paid $750 for it. When I came back a week later ( stupid MD law!) to pick it up, they had another one just like it for $2300! I made the mistake of shooting it one day and fell in love with it. It's fun to play with but for any serious target work I reconfigure with a full length H-Bar match upper and a fixed stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links