Tactical anti vehicular/personnel shotgun. (woot!)

This is a discussion on Tactical anti vehicular/personnel shotgun. (woot!) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I was watching Swordfish *cough* again *cough* and I was thinking about that crazy scene where Travolta faces off against several SUVs with his ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical anti vehicular/personnel shotgun. (woot!)

So I was watching Swordfish *cough* again *cough* and I was thinking about that crazy scene where Travolta faces off against several SUVs with his handy M249 trunk gun. (if any of you do not know this scene, I order you to watch Swordfish...IMMEDIATELY!

So it got me thinking about how you would make your handy trunk gun into an anti-vehicular weapon as well (that and I've had someone try to run over me before, which helps with the scenario area)

I was thinking of taking a mossy shotgun, outfitting it with an image-enhancing scope, and fitting it out with slugs so it could also penetrate a windshield. What is your guys take on this, and what type of optics do you recommend for shotguns?

Last edited by Risque007; April 3rd, 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: piccy time!
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    The only "optics" I would recommend for a defense shotgun would be a large-aperture ghost ring sight.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...odel_SP-10.asp

Here ya' go. 10g. Reliably stopping autos for going on 60 years (IIRC).

Sights- XS night-sight front band, MMC's rear. Optics are okay, but no great advantage unless you strictly use magnification and slugs (and if you do that, the .375 H&H would actually be better-less deflection with a Barnes copper-solid).

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    For anti-vehicle, I'd like a .50 Beowulf. I think that would do the trick on anything without armor. You'll get more range than with a scatter gun, and those 12 round detachable box magazines should make reloading easier and less frequent.
    I think that any moderate rifle (.308, .30-06) would put an engine out of commission rather quickly. Windshields would do little to deter such a caliber. Semi-auto would be my choice as well.
    Short of something like say a 40MM HEDP, the vehicle probably won't stop immediately. It's important to stop it far away and get out of the path as soon as possible.
    Of course I'm just guessing and have never tried it.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

a 12-gauge with slugs or a high power rifle (.308, .30-06, etc), either with red dot sight. Should prove to be a bad day for any car that's not up-armoured.

As Daddy Warcrimes stated, however, it will NOT stop a car immediately. Even shooting out the tires won't stop it immediately, though that's the best bet if you need to get it stopped in a hurry as well as disable it.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Sticking with the 12ga idea:
    I am thinking about going the tacticool route on my Winnie HD shottie. I like the looks of the one you pictured there. That is similar to what I want to do, optics and all. I'm not thinking about trying to stop cars or anything along those lines, but I would think that two slugs through the windshield and a couple in the grille should all but stop the car where it is. Short of a grenade, there is little that will lock up the drive train of any car immediately.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I'd go with this-http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/l...DesertCamo.jpg
    3 1/2's are almost as good as a 10 g. and a lot cheaper. I'd still use buckshot though. I think it'd go through a windshield. As for optics, I've never seen nothing wrong with a Bushnell Holosight.

I must agree with the others, however, on a rifle being a little more productive for car stopping power. My choice is a .458 Lott in a Scout style bolt action.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

A couple buddies of mine went to Designated Marksman school and part of the school was teaching them about shooting vehicles. For shooting through the windshield it was demonstrated that aim does not need to be adjusted. In addition, they took a running car (I believe it was an early 90s Celica with the hood open) and fired at the engine with a 9mm submachine gun, M4, M14....the car didn't stop running for about 20 minutes. I think the moral of the period of instruction was to shoot the driver, not the car.

So if you shoot a slug at the driver, the windshield will not deflect your shot away from the target? I never knew that before.
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

you'd be surprised what glass can do to a projectile of any kind. deflection, ricochet - these are real factors to a marksman.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    For pistol rounds, you bet it will. For high-powered rifles this is probably less of a concern. Check out www.theboxotruth.com - they do the testing there.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    We were shown an interesting video in one of my training courses... A group of shooters fired several hundred rounds of all sorts - handgun, rifle, shotgun, you name it - into a big sedan. Engine, tires, grill, everywhere. When they were done, one guy goes to the car, sweeps the glass off the seat, puts the key in the ignition, and drives that bad boy away...

Anecdotal, certainly, but the lesson is clear. Don't count on ANYTHING you can easily carry on your person to stop a car... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I'm taking my SKS with the 30 round mag. Hell with the slugs. The 7.62 will eat a car for breakfast.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BIG E; April 4th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Plus you can get 12 round mags for them...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links