Remington Model 1100 problem

This is a discussion on Remington Model 1100 problem within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I decided to take my old (but like new) Rem1100 Spring turkey hunting this last weekend. I put a full choke barrel on it and ...

Thread: Remington Model 1100 problem

Remington Model 1100 problem

I decided to take my old (but like new) Rem1100 Spring turkey hunting this last weekend. I put a full choke barrel on it and was using 2 3/4 BB loads. I called a gobler up to within 20 yards, and CLICK. I tried several different shells, and nothing. There was no primer indention at all. I removed the barrel, cocked it it, and pulled the trigger with my finger over the firing pin hole. There was definately firing pin movement. What gives ? Could it be a broken spring or a broken pin ? Advice/comments appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Are you sure you've got the right caliber shell in the gun ?

Your aren't putting a 20 guage in a 12 are you?

Don't laugh...it happens...

It could be a broken pin. Enough force for the spring to pop it out against your finger, but not enough to whack the primer hard enough to detonate it. Has the gun been put up awhile ? It could be that oil has gunked up the pin and is impedeing its movement.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Definately 12 Ga, 2 3/4 shells. My thoughts were the broken pin, but when it hit my finger, I got puzzled - even thought the barrel wasn't seated correctly. It has been put away for a few years, but well oiled.

When you put the new barel on you probably put the ring (the metal one) back on the tube upside down, you will only get a click. It will go together either way, but will only work one way and will just click the other way. I suggest pulling it back off and filpping the ring over. I don't have one with me right now or I'd take it apart and be more specific in my instructions, but I have done the same thing before myself.

My first thought was broken firing pin too, but then I thought, wait a minute I must have put it together wrong.
    Last edited by sgtD; April 7th, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

how long has it set maybe firing pin /trigger works is gummed up enough to slow it down to where it wont fire

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    how long has it set maybe firing pin /trigger works is gummed up enough to slow it down to where it wont fire
    Could be Bud, but he said it's not even marking the primer. When it's put together the wrong way, the firing pin won't reach the shell.

I'm betting that he put that ring on backwards when he changed the barrel. Everything functions properly when put together that way, except it won't go bang.

Edit: Page 18, picture 33b of the manual shows how the piston ring goes on. If it's upside down ( which is easy to do, because it kinda looks like it should go the other way) the action can't come far enough to the front for the firing pin to reach the primer. It may be something else, but what is described in the post is exactly how it acted when I put the piston on upside down.

Here is the link to the manual:

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf
    Last edited by sgtD; April 7th, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

could be would space it out wrong

after reading this I just had to know so I went down and reversed my power piston on my 1100 LT 20 and it would not punch a primer it maybe very slightly marked it but oh so faintly, so it could be a problem.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

SgtD - you nailed it. I reversed the metal ring (outbd) and it works again - also noticed the rubber "o" ring had streatched, so it will be replaced. Thanks to ALL!!!.

Glad I could help. That's the great thing about this board. There is a lot of stuff that people are willing to share and help each other. I know I have learned a lot on here and am glad I was finally able to return the favor by helping someone else.

Geezer: If you shoot your 1100 a lot order a package of the O-rings from Remington IIRC they are 5 rings for 11.00 where the gun stores usually charge 6.00 a piece. Just my exp.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Links