Perhaps you friendly folks here at Combat Carry can help me out!

This is a discussion on Perhaps you friendly folks here at Combat Carry can help me out! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IMHO, stick with a .308 since the primary reason it is more accurate than the .30-06 is the shorter neck that keeps the powder more ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perhaps you friendly folks here at Combat Carry can help me out!

IMHO, stick with a .308 since the primary reason it is more accurate than the .30-06 is the shorter neck that keeps the powder more evenly compressed and constricted thereby allowing more consistent match grade target loads. The classic round is the 168gr BTHP in any name brand, although I find that Federal Gold Match is perhaps the best of these sniper grade loads.

The strength of the .30-06 is the wide variety of loads available. In fact, with a .22LR and a .30-06, you could literally drop any game animal on the north American continent from Squirrel to Grizzley Bear, inclusive!

The most important factor isn't the gun. It's YOU. Do you have the skill to wring the accuracy out of a long range shot under threat or stress conditions? I'd guess the average military sniper shot is around 400-600 meters in range, terrain & situation dependent. For cops it's well under 100 meters. Most quality guns can do all of that. Most quality brands that are within your budget. If you want to pay $1500 for a Steyr SSG, be sure you can live up to that GOLD standard rifle!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

The most important factor isn't the gun. It's YOU. Do you have the skill to wring the accuracy out of a long range shot under threat or stress conditions? I'd guess the average military sniper shot is around 400-600 meters in range, terrain & situation dependent. For cops it's well under 100 meters. Most quality guns can do all of that. Most quality brands that are within your budget. If you want to pay $1500 for a Steyr SSG, be sure you can live up to that GOLD standard rifle!
    Thats true, and I know pleanty of outstanding rifle shooters, who admit. That a p.o.s hunting rifle, can shoot better than they do.

Anyhow, I wouldnt be too exited about shooting at 400y+. Withought a lazer rangefinder, a spoting scope, a spoter who can correct my shots would also bee nice. Oh ya several hours of practice, to sharpen up. I havent shot a rifle in a year and ahalf!!

I would look at Remington 700, and Savage firearms. Look for a good deal for a low end Leopold scope.

Get a Good leaning kit. That includes a single pice cleaning rod, a rod guide to protect the throat of the barrel, and nylon brushes.

mossin-nagant m93 or m44

762x54R about the same as 308 - just be careful about your ammo

there is still machine gun ammo in this caliber and "IT will beat you up"

I believe the 93 is a full length rifle, I know the 44 is a carbine length

I bought a case of 15 rifles with accessories for 1000 (with 440 rounds) the rifles are all dated 1944 - 1948 and are arsenal remanufactured.

why reload - just grab another rifle.. lol

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    mossin-nagant m93 or m44

762x54R about the same as 308 - just be careful about your ammo

there is still machine gun ammo in this caliber and "IT will beat you up"

I believe the 93 is a full length rifle, I know the 44 is a carbine length

I bought a case of 15 rifles with accessories for 1000 (with 440 rounds) the rifles are all dated 1944 - 1948 and are arsenal remanufactured.

why reload - just grab another rifle.. lol

I'm somewhat skeptical that a Mosin Nagant with military surplus ammunition would be capable of anything close to acceptable accuracy in the 600yd range.

I bought a Savage 110-FP in .308 several years ago. I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel myself. I have a $100 Tasco target scope on it. With my handloads of with Black Hills match ammo it will hit dimes all day at 100yds from the sand bags. I say bang for the buck you can't beat Savage!

All of the suggestions are good choices. My favorite centerfire rifle is the CZ550 American in .308. It's cheaper than most of the others ,and IMO of higher quality. (They also make a super pellet rifle.) Don't cut corners on the scope/rings/bases.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Tho i dont own a single Savage now , were i to own one mid bore rifle it would be a new Savage chambered to .308. Great tuneable trigger , great quality control , at an affordable price . I dont own one frankly because i am a rifle snob , but i do recognise value when i see it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links