AK AR differences

This is a discussion on AK AR differences within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pgrass101 See if you can shoot one first (if you haven't already) and make sure that you like it. Unfortunatly there are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AK AR differences

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    See if you can shoot one first (if you haven't already) and make sure that you like it.
    Unfortunatly there are no ranges in my areas, NE Tenn. or Pittsburgh PA, that rent guns period let alone these great rifles. I did get the oportunity to "shoot" an "AR15 Simulator" that the Army brought for us to play with for our "Wonderful Wednesday" celebration today (Yes I know it Thursday). The SGT did allow me to "Shoot" the "recoiled" simulator when he found I was the best shot he had all day (30% with the laser being off, the closest was 12%). He assured me that the recoil on it, quite light, is close to the AR 15. I did enjoy it and feel this would be a great rifle to have.

The more I think about it I would love to have an all around rifle, one that I can shoot further down range 200 yards and learn to be acurate with. I know that eventually I will be able to purchase additional rifles but I do not know when that will be if I do decide to go to grad school.

Right now the AR looks great even if I need to save more.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post

The more I think about it I would love to have an all around rifle, one that I can shoot further down range 200 yards and learn to be acurate with. I know that eventually I will be able to purchase additional rifles but I do not know when that will be if I do decide to go to grad school.

Right now the AR looks great even if I need to save more.
    From what you said the AR is right for you. I have never owned an AK (I shot sevearl but they don't fit me stocks are to short to get a comfortable cheek weld). I have sold my SKS's fine guns but I am consolidating my ammo requirements. I have built a FAL and am currently building an AR. The AR is a great all around rifle.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

-Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Bryan thanks that does help quite a bit. It also solidifies my decision
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    A question/comment based on that video... I've heard lots of people comment on how the AK was "designed" to be fired on full auto more often, because the first position down from 'safe' is 'full auto' and not 'semi' as it is on most select fire rifles. This supposedly means it's "easier" to put the weapon on full then it is on semi.

However, I think this is crap. I've handled many select-fire AKs over the years, and have always found it much harder to put it on full auto. If you push the selector lever down with any urgency, it has a strong tendency (in my experience) to click all the way down into semi (which is where you'd want something so uncontrollable in full auto, IMO). To put it in full auto takes dedicated and careful manipulation of the lever, where as all it takes to put it in semi is a nice push...

Anyone else feel this way?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Another benefit of the ar platform is interchangeable uppers so you can have a cqb carbine such as an m4 , and a long range varmint gun with the same trigger pull ect.. by poping out two pins and if you go cheap ( by not getting another bcg/ch handle ) dropping the bolt carrier group and chargeing handle .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Another benefit of the ar platform is interchangeable uppers so you can have a cqb carbine such as an m4 , and a long range varmint gun with the same trigger pull ect.. by poping out two pins and if you go cheap ( by not getting another bcg/ch handle ) dropping the bolt carrier group and chargeing handle .
    +1 to that! I bought a Bushmaster carbine before the ban ( I forget the model number) It had the short barrel and long flash hider and a telescoping stock. A co-worker asked me to go shoot DCM matches with him. Instead of buying an entire rifle I bought an H-Bar match A-2 upper and barrel with National Match sights and an A-1 fixed stock. I dropped in an Armalite match trigger and I was set for competition! It takes me about ten minutes to convert from HD carbine to a match rifle!
    Oh yeah and if you want the best of both worlds you can get an AR in 7.62x39!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links