AK AR differences

AK AR differences

This is a discussion on AK AR differences within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to get a high capacity "military type" semi automatic rifle but know absolutly nothing about them. It is my undersyanding that ARs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    me [OP]

AK AR differences

I am looking to get a high capacity "military type" semi automatic rifle but know absolutly nothing about them. It is my undersyanding that ARs are more acurate than Aks but other than that I am in the dark as to the differences. I am more of a pistol guy but would like to own one of these weapons but am not sure what I am really looking at here.

My budget is tight if this helps for recommendations.

Thanks all.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

if the budget is tight i would look at AK's they are in the 300.00 range offer good firepower and are very dependable. The Ar's of today are far more accurate out to a much longer range 500-600 yds whereas the AK is a 150-200 yd weapon and not as pinpoint accurate IMHO
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

I Go For The AR...

In another year or two...Hillary may not let you buy one...and the one's you already have, may triple in price...
    Mine's a keeper!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like the AR platform alot, it is definitely my rifle of choice. But you're are also looking at $700 to $1000+. If you can't spend that much you might want to check out a ruger mini-30 or mini-14. I own a mini-30 and bought it because I wanted an assault rifle in 7.62x39 that wasn't an AK. I really like mine, and it will run you $500-$600.

I agree with retsupt on Hillary I own 3 Ar's and a few other things she wont like either, but for the money I'll still go with a AK and she hates those too so they'll go up also.
    Gun Control: What a long strange trip it's been

Check out the various threads on this sight about AKs and ARs, there is a lot of info here. The first question you need to answer for yourself is what will be the primary use the rifle is put to. I like my AK, but if I wanted a rifle accurate to 600 yards I would go with a M1A, rather then an AR. I have never been a fan of a 22 cal bullet except in 22LR for squirrels and rabbits. If i am going to have a large case on my ammo I prefer at least 25cal so I can hunt Deer and Antelope as well as Varmits.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    IMHO , the current World/U.S. political Climate is ratcheting
    up the demand and prices for firearms of all kinds.
    (ammo also )

That said , a Decent NIB AK is running about $500 right now ,ARs
    about $800.

DO NOT buy the cheapest rifle you can find!
    Buy from a Dealer or Store that will Stand behind the merchandise
    they sell.

Stick with 7.62x39 cal. in an AK , 5.56x45 (.223) in an AR (obviously).
    Budget some cash for extra magazines and ammo.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

AKs get dinged in accuracy, but my recent experience is that if you buy decent ammo, you'll get what you pay for. Wolf 7.62x39 is cruising around $180/case, where Winchester or S&B are closer to $400/1000 rounds. Again, what is you intended usage? I keep a case of "plinker" (Wolf), and am buying individual boxes of Western-made ammo for better accuracy, and "rolling my own".

Another problem many have is the really crappy sight picture- I couldn't get a usable picture with the stock set. I'm also very astigmatic.

There is good info on the AK board, at AR15.com, but they aren't always overly welcoming (YMMV) warriortalk.com has a good Kalashinikov board, with a couple of knowledgeable smiths frequenting it.

Senior Moderator
    If price is a big concern look for an SKS

Don't limit yourself to just a AK or AR look for deals on other known SHTF rifles and carbines
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

me [OP]
    My intended use is nothing more than plinking. I justwant to have the enjoyment of owning and using a nice rifle of this type.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Moderator
    AR: you can hit a barn from hundreds of yards away.
    AK: you can hit the barn from inside, most of the time.

There's a reason an AK sells for 1/3 the price of an AR, and it's not just because AKs are butt-ugly.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I think it really depends on your purpose. If you want something that's just plain fun, cool, and reliable...the AK is great. Personally I don't shoot at anything over 100 yards so I don't feel the need for an AR. If you want something for home protection and SHTF then the AK is the best in my opinion. The AK is not as accurate but it was made originally for combat in close quarters and for shooting on the move. Unless your gonna be snipering stick with the AK. Plus you'll save money and if you get a good one it will last you a lifetime.

But if you just wanna target shoot then the AR might be a better choice. Accuracy also depends on the quality of your AK. My Hungarian AK is extremely accurate at 100 yards. It's almost scary.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

JD
    Administrator
    If your looking for an AR or AK, get an AR or an AK, the Mini 14 / Mini 30 are fine rifles, but they are no AR or AK. The same goes for the SKS.

The ARs and AKs are allready made the way they need to be, you don't have to modify anything to make it take normal 30 round mags like you'd have to do to the SKS. AR mags are much easier to find and more affordable than the mini 14/30 mags (in general, not all ways)

The real big differences between the AK and the AR are cost and caliber.

As previously mentioned the AR is basically a .22 with a little bit bigger of a projecticle and more powder charge.

The 7.62x39 is a more effective caliber for SD.

I have an AR amongst other rifles and wil be getting an AK sometime soon, I like the AR because it's what I'm familar with and it's easy to shoot, not to mention that I allready had about 20 mags left over from "uncle." For me it was an easy choice, I like the handling and the way it shoots.

You can get a good AR in the $600 range, they all don't cost $8-- to a $1000, you can get a good AK in the $500 range.

Since your looking to get either one, I would suggest getting an AK, and using the left over $$$ for mags, ammunition, and a good cleaning kit.

ARs need a lot of cleaning, the AK is more durable, BUT the AR will serve well as long as it's properly maintained.

All for all it depends on overall application, if your not looking to shoot real little groups, get the AK. It may not be as accurate at distance, but it will do what it was designed to, and that's what really matters.

Just make sure you get one with, or purchase seperately a US made trigger group to eliminate "trigger slap"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    My intended use is nothing more than plinking. I justwant to have the enjoyment of owning and using a nice rifle of this type.
    If you are just going to be plinking and want hi cap then I'd go with the AK.

See if you can shoot one first (if you haven't already) and make sure that you like it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Heavy Metal or Mattel. Hmm...

I've owned both and I'd go with the AK every time. Cheaper to own, cheaper to shoot, cheaper to fix, cheaper to replace, cheaper to build. Oh yeah.. and it's more reliable too.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links