My new (to me...) Moss 500... :)

This is a discussion on My new (to me...) Moss 500... :) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a PD trade-in Mossberg 500 locally the other day for $225. I know it's the 500 model, but not quite sure if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new (to me...) Moss 500... :)

My new (to me...) Moss 500... :)

I picked up a PD trade-in Mossberg 500 locally the other day for $225. I know it's the 500 model, but not quite sure if it's the defender, riot, PD, or whatever they call it besides the 500. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. :)

Anyways, I was in the market for a new Remmy 870. The dealer only had the tac model which was about $450 or so but had nothing with a straight stock which is what I was looking for to start out with. They had the marine version 870 straight stock but it was kinda outta my range for an HD shotty at close to $550. I told the dealer my second choice was the Mossy 500 and he brought me right over to the used guns after asking me if I had thought of considering something used. Of course for me that was a non-issue. I dont mind used as long as the gun is not a POS. He picked outt he best PD trade he had in the Moss 500s and went through the whole thing with me. It's a 5+1 with the straight 2rnd speed stock and the Moss steel ghost ring sights on it. After examination it appeared the gun had been fired very little. Some small scratches on the stock but otherwise the gun's in terrific shape. I walked out the door with the 500, 50 rounds of 00 buck, and 50 rounds of Federal LE slugs for the grand total of $253.

Myself and some of my brothers from the dept fired all the slugs through it this afternoon at the range and it functioned flawlessy. For a nice HD shotty, I think I made a decent choice with this one. I may end up switching the stock at some point for a copstock so my wife can handle it without too much trouble, but for now, what a sweetheart!

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

2. Remove Ads

Nice shotty, looks like the 6 shot persuader model with the 18.5" barrel, and obviously the extra sights installed.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Did you say it has the 4 round (2 rounds on either side) Speed Feed stock on it? If it is and you replace it with a "tactical" stock, and decide to sell the Speed Feed stock - LET ME KNOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Did you say it has the 4 round (2 rounds on either side) Speed Feed stock on it? If it is and you replace it with a "tactical" stock, and decide to sell the Speed Feed stock - LET ME KNOW!
    Good question. It does have the openings on both sides but I didn't even think to check it to see if it help more than the 2 rds. I'll check it tonight and report back....
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Moderator
    NIce
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Good question. It does have the openings on both sides but I didn't even think to check it to see if it help more than the 2 rds. I'll check it tonight and report back....
    Yeah, it should hold 2 on each side.

Administrator
    The 500 is a under rated gun. It fine for most folks who dont abuse and pound their guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I got a Mossy 590 - basically the same scattergun as the 500...just a little longer and equipped with a bayonet lug...like I need THAT! Oh! And don't forget the heat shield!

I wonder...will the heat shield from a 590 fit the 500?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The 500 is a under rated gun. It fine for most folks who dont abuse and pound their guns.
    I have a couple that have been pretty badly abused and they still work fine. One of 'em doesn't hold as many rounds as it used to though, due to a large dent in the mag tube caused by something (can't remember what) falling on it in the boat one time.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Excellent accuracy.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I have a couple that have been pretty badly abused and they still work fine. One of 'em doesn't hold as many rounds as it used to though, due to a large dent in the mag tube caused by something (can't remember what) falling on it in the boat one time.
    I'm talking about pounding it with hot loads all the time. I have had mine for 10 years or more I use it when I know I'm going to have to push a lot of brush in the early bird season. I also use it as a loaner and a dog training gun. It gets abused that way, but I really like that gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Mossberg is the "Craftsman" of firearms. You can beat the heck out of it (shy of bending the barrel) and it will likely outlive you! I carried mine 20 years ago in the Sheriff's Office Reserve program, competed with it in early tactical two-gun matches (changed barrels) and hunted in thick, nasty brush. It still functions flawlessly. Yes, it beats the stuffing out of you with heavy loads as it lacks some of today's "recoil reduction systems."

I like it so much I bought one for each of my (then) teen-aged sons. Nothing fancy, but highly functional! To coin a phrase, "you done good!"
    Last edited by rocky; May 20th, 2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: language
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm talking about pounding it with hot loads all the time. I have had mine for 10 years or more I use it when I know I'm going to have to push a lot of brush in the early bird season. I also use it as a loaner and a dog training gun. It gets abused that way, but I really like that gun.
    Gotcha, I misunderstood. I use mine the same way. When it's raining or I know I'm gonna be in a nasty muddy place or rought country and don't want to mess up one of my pretty doubles, I take out the Mossy.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Nice catch, the sights alone are worth $60+ alone without installation! The 500 is a easy gun to carry, very light and handy and I miss the shorter barrel as my 590 has the 20" barrel, funny but it does make a differance. I just tried out the Spec-ops recoiling reducing stock, they are great and I have ordered one for the 590.

You have done well

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Yeah, it should hold 2 on each side.

Yep.. you are correct sir! 2 rounds per side. If you realy would like the stock, send me a pm and we can certainly work something out.
    Firefighter/EMT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links