Hunting/medium range rifle - Page 2

Hunting/medium range rifle

This is a discussion on Hunting/medium range rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a thought for you- again, to "do it right", you'll need to mount the rings, then lap them, before putting your scope in place. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting/medium range rifle

Here's a thought for you- again, to "do it right", you'll need to mount the rings, then lap them, before putting your scope in place. Lapping makes sure that the bases are level.

IOW, if one base is say, 3-4mm higher/lower, when you clamp down the rings, you bend your scope. It may not be much, you might not ever notice, but if you spend good money for good optics, I'd take care of them. (Whether you notice or not, the flex does change the relationship of the optical centers of the lenses, and a .30-06 isn't a scope-coddling round to begin with.)

The alternative is the Burris Posi-Lign system, that basically centers the scope using polymer rings. You can also use the polymer inserts to adjust your elevation somewhat, if you have a bore-sight (or have it done). The nice thing about that is you don't wheel up a bunch of adjustment, just to get zeroed. The only disadvantage is that the Posi-lign doesn't come in a quick-detach format, if that is a concern for you. You can call Brownells for a good rundown on the differences between standard and the Burris set-up.

Warne QDs would be my pick, if not the Posi-lign(that I currently have).

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I'm going to assume liquid/ball bearing dampeners and barrel vibration dampeners are unlikely to perform as advertised.
    Forgot a couple of things. Rings & bases- if you get the 1913 Picatinny bases and rings, they are the most solid of the Weaver-style because they use a squared notch of specified size mated to hardened crosspins (in the rings) specced to match. Talley, Warne & Leupold all make them.

About the comps, they can, but a better investment is:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...tle=RECOIL+PAD

My personal favorites. I use 1/2" pads on 12g and .308 with far more comfort than some 3/4"-1.0" competitors,much less factory.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Lots to think about. Good thing I've got some time before hunting season.
    Thanks again.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

One thing I would also do is to free float the barrel. I have a 110-FP that I bedded and floated myself. I am by no means a serious gunsmith, but it was easy to do. Just follow the directions on the package of glass mix. The free float I did with a dollar bill and a pocket knife and some sand paper. The rifle wont win any beauty contests but the targets sure will!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    A Savage built in the last 10 yrs or so is one of the most consistantly accurate factory rifles available. So assuming that you bought it new, I too would vote for upgrading the optics and mounting hardware, and working the action first. Also check to make sure that you don't have any contact points between the barrel and stock, and that you're not resting your barrel or the last couple of inches of your stock when shooting. The other thing that jumps out at me is the "unpleasant recoil", are you using factory ammo? If you are, is it hard to chamber? Are you seeing pressure signs on spent cases (hard to extract, flattened/cratered primers, case head stamped with bolt face, smooth bright brass at extractor cut-out etc.), if you chamber a round and extract it without firing, are the lands engraving the bullet?

good optics/stock/mounting hardware and trigger work will certainly improve your accuracy. But the situation you describe sounds to me like you either have a serious ammo problem, you have a lemon of a rifle (pretty rare if it's a new-bought savage), or you're just need alot of practice (probably with a lighter recoiling rifle), combined with a little of the others.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I've been using factory ammo, Winchester super X I think. I haven't seen any of those signs. For the recoil matter, I'm probably just a wimp. It's a pretty light rifle and I'm not really used to anything worse than a 12 gauge.

Since I'm keeping this rifle, it's evident that I need more practice. I'd guess I've only put about 100 rounds through it.

New question (they just keep coming don't they): Is it possible/reasonable to convert this to a top loader?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    New question (they just keep coming don't they): Is it possible/reasonable to convert this to a top loader?
    Anything is possible for a price! Seriously, I wouldn't call it "reasonable". Using a detachable box magazine (DBM) you already have the fastest bolt action reload possible, if you practice with it. Extra mags never hurt anyone. Buy 3 extra, so when the zombie horde comes over the hill, you won't be eaten for lack of shooting back! Only half joking- I have 4 10 round DBMs for my Steyr.

Top-feed is a virtue for military bolts using stripper clips, or possibly if you are an agonizingly anal Benchrest shooter.

Since we never do know what's coming down the legislative trail, I would pick up the mags- even something as simple as a bad spring would radically reduce both your enjoyment and utility with the rifle, and trying to make your own leaf-spring is a pain.

Rob

or possibly if you are an agonizingly anal Benchrest shooter.
    Isnt that a requirement, if you are a Benchrest shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat View Post
    Rob

Isnt that a requirement, if you are a Benchrest shooter?
    I knew one would bite!

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Not very reasonable at all, especially if you intend to keep a scope on it. And 03-A3's can be had fairly cheaply and easily, if you want a top loader, pick one up.

if you want a bolt gun then stick to a Rem 700 but if the action matter little to you then I say get a M14 because the AK is no good at distances

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links