Rifle Slings

Rifle Slings

This is a discussion on Rifle Slings within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been kind of skeptical of three point slings in the past (partly because the only one I'd tried was a cheap, crappy one). I ...

View Poll Results: What kind of sling do you use on your defensive/SHTF rifle?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slings? Who needs em! My rifle never leaves my hands.

7 8.75%
  • Basic Carry. It holds my rifle and nothing else.

12 15.00%
  • Basic Carry, but I sometimes use it for shooting.

25 31.25%
  • Ching Sling. I bow down to Jeff Cooper!

6 7.50%
  • Single Point. Im all tacticool!

6 7.50%
  • Three Point. Im way tacticool!

17 21.25%
  • Other (post below)

7 8.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Slings

Rifle Slings

I've been kind of skeptical of three point slings in the past (partly because the only one I'd tried was a cheap, crappy one). I stuck with a simple nylon carry sling for my rifle. Recently, however, I got a Sling System EZ Sling, which seems quite a bit better than the previous three-point system I tried. In fact, I'm thinking about upgrading to one of their higher end models.

Before I go spending any more money, I'm curious, what sort of slings other people have on their defensive/SHTF rifles. What kind of sling do you use? Is there brand/model that you find particularly good?

VIP Member
    I'm fond of one (for the AR series) made by "The Wilderness." Sorry, I don't know the model name, as it was a gift... In my experience, there are MANY bad "tactical" slings out there, that are uncomfortable, can slip loose, are poorly constructed, and/or just plain stink.

There are also, however, several good models out there with slightly different features for different preferences. I prefer the front sling swivel to be "side mounted" when using a 3-point sling, for example, and some models are much better than others when using this method of attachment.

EDIT: Good thing they didn't ask about this on the mall-ninja quiz, or I'd have gone up 10% right there!
    Last edited by OPFOR; April 12th, 2007 at 05:33 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I just use basic slings on my rifles, one came on my Marlin .30-30 and isn't very good to help shooting, a cheap nylon one on the Mini-14 that can be used to help shoot, and the standard leather one that came with my WASR with the front side mount.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Have Slings For Most Long Guns...

some are used on several...strictly basic...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Leather military sling that I use for shooting. Getting into a good sling-assisted shooting position is almost as good as finding a rest.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've been looking for a good sling as well. I have a Knoxx MissionReady 3-Point sling that I never quite figured out how to use. There were no instructions, and I couldn't find anything about it online. That's about my only sling experience, though.

JD
    Administrator
    I prefer the standard military issue cloth sling for my rifles. If I was going to get all geeked out I'd probably get a slingle point sling, the three point Blackhawk I had was fine for those long nature hikes the Marine Corps is fond of, but it tended to get tangled up at all the wrong times, especially when living in the back of a 14 ton box on wheels for 6 months...

When shooting my AR and SOCOM I do still use the hasty sling method.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    I use a Vickers Tactical VTAC two-point sling.

It is amazingly versatile and can be used to retain your weapon while also providing abotu 85% of the level of support that a traditional shooting (not carrying sling) does.

I do know how to use a sling to stabilize my shooting positions, having a Master classification in NRA Highpower.

I'm the one in the brown sweater and black cap.

Here you can better see how the sling tightens up in the prone and standing positions to provide excellent support, pulling the weapon into my shoulder.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I took over a fire team once, my guys kept slinging their rifles instead of carrying at the ready in the field. So I took their slings away (my automatic rifleman [M249 SAW] was not happy. Slings are for parades or when you need your hands free.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Slings are for parades or when you need your hands free.
    You are missing much when it comes to the use of a tactical sling.

There are several good reasons why two-point slings attached correctly are replacing both single and three point slings.

Maybe you missed the point of my pics. But the way my sling works I can go from shooting prone with the sling for support to standing and transitioning to a handgun in seconds.

I can also go from low ready or patrol carry to engaging the threat in the blink of an eye.

Lead Moderator
    3 pt here. I found it works best for hunting/ hiking as well as easy deployment quickly. I also use a side sling adapter.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Smith&Wessonfan, I do realize there other uses for slings; my post was mostly in jest.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Smith&Wessonfan, I do realize there other uses for slings; my post was mostly in jest.
    Sorry. Hope no offense was taken....

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly I like a 2 point sling for some uses , and a single point for other , so my answer to my delima was to order one of thiese https://www.rockymountaintactical.ne...&product_id=1& from Rocky Mountain Tactical along with an extra ( made longer ) attachment . Ill see if i can get some pics of the rig and a brief review up in a day or two , its snowing here ( again ) and i am headed out to feed the cattle .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have a single point on my yugo attatched at the rear of the receaver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links