Mossberg 500 "New Haven"

Mossberg 500 "New Haven"

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 "New Haven" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tell me about these shotguns. Description: Gun was apparently Bubba-fied at some point. It has an 18" smoothbore barrel and rifle sights. Barrel looks like ...

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Mossberg 500 "New Haven"

Tell me about these shotguns.

Description: Gun was apparently Bubba-fied at some point. It has an 18" smoothbore barrel and rifle sights. Barrel looks like it was cut down and front sight added. Rust around the front sight leads me to believe the finish was ruined by the heat of adding the front sight. There is some additional rust in various places, but nothing I can't fix. Stock and fore-end are missmatched. Fore-end is a typical wood, not sure what kind but it looks just like most other shotguns. The stock however is a VERY nice Birdseye Maple, no signifigant dings or scratches. The price is very reasonable.

Questions:
    1. Reliability. Are these considered reliable, quality guns? Were they highend, low end or in the middle? I plan on using it for a truck gun, so it needs SD-quality reliability... but looks don't count for much.

2. Is the Birdseye Maple stock valuable? Would it be worth replacing and selling?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lew
    I just picked up a Mossberg 500 persuader (pistol grip, 8 round capacity, composite slide cover, upper heat shield and front bead) They had a sholder stock available as an addon very reasonable. Cost New In Box was 230 out the door. I recommend the sholder stock as it really hurt to use the factory pistol grip, the hole for the bolt to attach it to the gun really hit your web of the thumb and was unbearable after 4 rounds.

Perfect truck gun.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I have an 835 an a 590. They are both tanks and I will never part with them.

VIP Member
    got mine new, had it for 8 years and its a workhorse, accessories available everywhere you look

I would be careful of the price, you can get a new 500 18.5" 7+1 for $230
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Mossberg 500 was made to be a "truck gun". Solid reliable basic shotgun.
    If indeed you suspect a home made saw job on the barrel, I would pay very close attention to the length. A slight miscalculation by "Bubba" could get you in a lot of trouble.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    With a cut barrel I wouldn't pay over $125 for it.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Normally, I hesitate to recommend another site, but there is one that is ALL about shotguns and I check it out for tips/advice etc on shotguns and mossbergs in particular.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=58

Great folks.

There is also a guide on to "sawed off shotguns" in the "tactical shotgun" area. You should really read that to make sure you are in compliance. Must be very carefull.
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I have had one for nearly 30 years and can't say enough about it.
    I have used it to hunt birds, ducks, deer and tons of tactical/self defense training and it has alway done what I asked it to.
    A great gun.

Links