Who has both an AR-15 and AR-10???

This is a discussion on Who has both an AR-15 and AR-10??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can someone that has both tell me what the recoil is like on the AR-10 compared to the AR-15?...

Thread: Who has both an AR-15 and AR-10???

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

Who has both an AR-15 and AR-10???

Can someone that has both tell me what the recoil is like on the AR-10 compared to the AR-15?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

It's a bit more, but not at all uncomfortable. The AR platform absorbs a lot of recoil. I've never been particularly bothered by recoil, though. With proper technique, it shouldn't be an issue.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Don't own one, but have put approx. 300+ rds thru two friends weapons.

Most of the time these weapons are outfitted with a rail or two,rings,scope,bipod,co-witness sights,light,etc. The weight is significant. More than your average .308 bolt gun. One of the weapons that I have fired is outfitted in this manner. The other was an iron sighted "plain jane" model.

To me........recoil was noticeably greater than one of my .223's. More streight back push. Still minimal muzzle rise, and blast was so-so.

Have fired 168's and 190's in both weapons and both loadings(handloads that were definately of the +P variety) seemed the same.

As in all gas operated weapons,the gas system absorbed(bled off) a small part of the "explosion".

All in all......the AR type .308's are easy on the shoulder and not to-to bad on the ears. To me it all comes down to the brake. I own a .50 Beowulf in AR configuration,and compareing the two,the .308 is milder.

All the above are simply my observations.-------

Administrator
    It is more noticable, but its not rough at all. I find .308 to be very pleasant to shoot compared to the .223, be it in a bolt gun or a gas gun.
    In fact, I think its the report that makes the difference, both are rather soft shooting. The .223 is a sharp crack, and the .308 is more of a boom sound.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 18th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks the only 7.62 I have ever shot was the M-60 and if I remember correctly it did not kick back that bad but had to be held down because of the rate of fire.

I am arguing with myself about which of the two weapons to purchase!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

Senior Moderator
    Buy both
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    AR 10s are fine rifles as a class . They are accurate and mild for a full battle rifle . The main drawback to them so far has been mag costs . Mags run from 40 to 75 bucks a pop and that just does not lend its self to haveing a bunch . I understand Rock River has one coming out that will take FAL mags , and at about 6 bucks a pop for them that looks real interesting to me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Thanks the only 7.62 I have ever shot was the M-60 and if I remember correctly it did not kick back that bad but had to be held down because of the rate of fire.

I am arguing with myself about which of the two weapons to purchase!
    Well, whats the intended role of the gun? If its range work and a SHTF rifle, I would say stick with the .223. If you have specific need for the extra power of the .308...
    "Just blame Sixto"

JT
    The way ammo prices have shot up, .308 will cost you an arm and leg if you shot a lot. .223 will only cost you an arm.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have both. I've had at least one AR15 since 1984, but only one AR10 (1999).
    The AR15's recoil is nothing.
    The AR10 recoil is more, but is the least of any .308 I've fired. I've had bolt actions, and all of the "common" .308 semi-autos (HK91, FAL, M1A) and some not-so common like the Winchester 100. Without a doubt, the AR10 has the least recoil.
    Mine is an AR10(T), with the heavy 24" barrel, so weighs more than most of those, but I 'm pretty sure it would still recoil less if they were all the same weight.

The disadvatge it has compared to the military types is that it isn't as robust. I haven't broken anything on mine, but it appears to be less ruggedly built than the others.

Senior Moderator
    I have both. The AR-10 is fun. It has more recoil of course than an AR 15, but it's also heavier and mine has a compensatior that reduces some of the recoil.

It's a bit loud, I promise you, you don't want to be standing beside one when somebody shoots it, you not only hear it, you feel it. That doesn't happen when you're behind it shooting it. I think it's great! Now if I could just think of a use for one.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Thank You everyone for sharing your knowledge once again!
    Timmy Jimmy

I have an AR15 and a DS Arms SA58 carbine which is .308 Winchester. The SA58 kicks harder and makes a LOT more noise (good thing). The 308 recoil isn't bad even for me and I have real bad arthritis.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Links