I thought it was a good plan, but nope!

This is a discussion on I thought it was a good plan, but nope! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the NRA convention and had two goals for the floor, decide on what AR-15 to get and what kind of Optics to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought it was a good plan, but nope!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

I thought it was a good plan, but nope!

I went to the NRA convention and had two goals for the floor, decide on what AR-15 to get and what kind of Optics to put on them.

I was totally shocked to find out how many companies sell AR-15s.

1. Colt
    2. Armalite
    3. BushMaster
    4. Sig
    5. Smith & Wesson
    6. Olimpic
    7. Stag
    8. Rock River
    9. Remington
    10. Browning
    11. DPMS
    12. Berretta (RX4 Storm)
    13. Even the guy that sells weapons paint has his own brand

The best salesman in the bunch was a off duty Cop that was manning the Stag booth. He had me convinced that Stag was the best and that only 3 manufactures made AR-15 parts and everyone else (except Stag of course) were just assembly plants. Stag was the only company I saw that had left handed ARs and according to the salesman they were the only ones that made them (not that it matters I am not left handed, just left eyed).

Of course every booth wanted me to leave believing that their gun was the best and so was their customer service.

A breath of fresh air in the Armalite booth this very nice looking lady in a business suit (not to be confused with a booth bunny) told me that most of the AR-15 out there were pretty much the same. She did tell me however that the other companies have not figured out all the idiosyncrasies with the AR-10 so to be careful if I went in that direction Armalite was a much better model than the competition.

Colt did not have any of the LE series at the show only the match series. They are so much more expensive than the others that I have all but crossed them off my list.

So I really did not come away with an answer on the AR-15 question.

The optics question is a little more clear after looking at ACOGs, AimPoint, and EOTech, I liked the EOTech the best. I am so right eye dominate that when I look through the other scopes and opened both eyes I could not even see out the scope.

I was told by someone (I think the Stag guy) that there is a magazine that does not accept advertisements that rate weapons but I forgot the name if anyone here knows I would appreciate you letting me know.
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; April 20th, 2007 at 09:24 PM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I was told by someone (I think the Stag guy) that there is a magazine that does not accept advertisements that rate weapons but I forgot the name if anyone here knows I would appreciate you letting me know.
    You are looking for Gun tests. It is the Consumer Reports of the gun world.

http://www.gun-tests.com/

Good magazine, I subscribed for years. Libraries sometimes have back copies.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I belive you speak of the mag " Gun tests " but thier tests have been discredited on some fine firearms as well as some real junkers lol . Honestly on the subject of AR formfactor rifles if you go with Rock River , Bushmaster , or Stag you will be ok and at a reasonable price . Just for your info Stag builds the new Smith and Wesson ar form rifles . Nowdays i just reccomend that folks look at the above 3 brands , and get the rifle with the most features at the price you can afford best. Most of the things folks talk about on AR rifles is not exactly vital for common use . Chrome bores are nice , but unless your " running the gun hard " not necessary, " Mil Spec " is just that , a list of specifications that have gotten codified by uncle sam taht deal with such vital issues as the outside diameter of the buffer tube that the stock encloses/rides on . Check to make shure the gas key on the bolt carrier group is well staked ( the most common deficit is an unstaked or improperly staked key that will make the gun jam ) and go on , after 50 or 60 thousand rounds or so you will have learned enough about your rifle to make any changes to it or get another one . I am not really plugging for any one company , just saying dont eat yourself up making a decision when any of thoes three will give journeyman's service for a semi auto , and imho full auto also .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    I agree with RR. Any of the bigger names should be good to go. I happen to own a stag , due to being LH. Any brand can have a few problem guns. But in all most of them work great.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    You missed a few makers.........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    It was a good plan... the trade shows are just about the only way to go see who's offering what.

I still suggest you go with a well known name such as Bushmaster or Rock River. Bushmaster is AR's, I think they know them best. RR customer service is top, and they build a very nice, well finished rifle.
    Almost all that you have listed makes a good rifle. I would decide with who has the most support. Is there a stocking dealer close to you?
    I agree with the Armalite sales people, if your going .308, they do it best.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I, too, agree with RR, with the addition of DPMS to the mix. I have one of their SBR uppers and the AP4 .308, a really great rifle. The rest of mine are RRA, also excellent quality.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

TJ, when I set about getting my own AR, talk about information overload. After much research and deciding what it really was I was looking for in an AR, I got a Rock River. I have shot others, Bushmaster, Olympic, Stag, etc and some real frankenguns. In the end the Rock River had all the features I was looking for, in one package. Just figure out what it is you are looking for and then find one which comes closest and go from there.

SY

RRA Ar's come with 2 stage match triggers standard.

I love my Elite CAR A4.

OD*
    A breath of fresh air in the Armalite booth this very nice looking lady in a business suit (not to be confused with a booth bunny) told me that most of the AR-15 out there were pretty much the same. She did tell me however that the other companies have not figured out all the idiosyncrasies with the AR-10 so to be careful if I went in that direction Armalite was a much better model than the competition.
    Remember, you were talking with sales/public relations people.

Eugene Stoner (the man who designed it) knew a thing or two about the AR-10s, so does C. Reed Knight. I would look into the SR-25 if you wanted what many consider the best AR-10.
    http://www.knightarmco.com/sr_25.html
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Not to nitpick, but I don't want you to get the wrong thing unknowingly. Several of the manufacturers you listed do not make AR15s. They may make similar rifles, but they aren't ARs and so parts and accessories may not work.

Sig & Beretta both have similar types of rifles, but not ARs.
    Remington and Browning don't make anything similar to my knowledge. Though Remington makes that pump-action that takes AR mags.

I have both a Rock River and a Bushmaster and I'm quite happy with both of them. You should really take a stroll over to ar15.com for more AR information than you can stand.
    I am not a Lawyer, LEO, or Special Forces Operator.
    The writings above are not burdened by trivialities such as research, experience or facts. However, it is on the Internet, so it must be true.
    InstructorCommunity, forum for instructors.
    The Threadless Nut, my blog

I have a Stag lefty. I can highly reccomend them.
    -Biker

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    Not to nitpick, but I don't want you to get the wrong thing unknowingly. Several of the manufacturers you listed do not make AR15s. They may make similar rifles, but they aren't ARs and so parts and accessories may not work.

Remington and Browning don't make anything similar to my knowledge. Though Remington makes that pump-action that takes AR mags.
    Remington was bought out by Bushmaster a few weeks ago.
    I'm almost dead positive that Remington already has tooled up to start making AR's with their own name attached to them.

I didn't see any at the show but from what a few guys in the industry tell me there getting ready to make em real fast. Expecially for the Remington Military division.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have a Bushy M4gery that has a few thousand rounds thru it. Never a hiccup. Stay with the top four on your list and you'll be fine. Colt AR's are very nice, but overpriced.
    "Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal, it is the Courage to Continue that Counts"
    Sir Winston Churchill

Stag Arms does make a very good AR, but there is one issue with them. They do not properly stake the carrier keys and they have been known to come loose.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links