Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 - Page 2

Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shotguns in Vietnam. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/44435/...m_shotgun_fun/...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870

OD*
    Last edited by OD*; April 23rd, 2007 at 02:00 AM.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by webbee View Post
    Isn't that Model 37 a peach! I agree, I think Ithaca's rule...

On the 590/870 question:
    I like Mossberg controls and prefer shooting it to the 870. I shoot both as practice. There is no doubt the Wingmaster is better made, however, you probably won't wear either of them out.
    There are more accessories marketed for the 870.

You should shoot as many brands as you can, because guns are personal, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. You have to live fire a weapon a few times to feel how it affects you and how well it places slug/shot/buck. Handling a friends/gunshop weapon and shooting it are two different things.

Either are good home defence/hunting/target shooting shotguns and you won't go wrong with either brand. If you have the gun disease...then getting both is mandatory.

Here's a couple of URLs:

870 Vs 500 series, biased towards Mossberg

Comparitive Study: Remington 870 vs Mosberg 590
    Excellent!! I like that you have both Pro Mossy and Pro Remy comparissons! Thanks man!

I haven't really seen any new 870s in my area, but I haven't checked out every one of my local options yet. I've handled both shot guns, and I'm kind of leaning toward the Mossberg simply because of the location of the safety. I've only run acrossed the Maverick 88 and 500 Mossbergs. I kind of dig the Mossberg with the collapsable M-4 type stock. I've located a 590 online, but I want to make sure that it's a step above the 500 before a spend the extra money. Also I'm jungling whether or not to get the Ghost Ring or Bead sights, speed loader, mag extensions? Decisions Decisions!!

Thanks a bunch all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post

Justin T. Huang must be a young guy.
    They've been using them since Vietnam.
    The U.S. Military issued it's shotgun contract award to Mossberg. Remington did not enter the certification process as they stated "they had nothing to win, but everthing to lose" by sudjecting their shotgun to the rigorous military test trails.
    I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical and can rest assured that with the harsh conditions our military puts these shotguns through, it will withstand anything that I will put it through.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    It's MOST RECENT contract, yes. Prior to Mossberg's "win" in the early 1980's the US military had a hodge podge of shotguns from every manufacturer imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by HKpacker View Post
    The U.S. Military issued it's shotgun contract award to Mossberg.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by HKpacker View Post
    The U.S. Military issued it's shotgun contract award to Mossberg. Remington did not enter the certification process as they stated "they had nothing to win, but everthing to lose" by sudjecting their shotgun to the rigorous military test trails.
    I have a Mossberg 500 Tactical and can rest assured that with the harsh conditions our military puts these shotguns through, it will withstand anything that I will put it through.
    The government has been using 870s since Vietnam.
    Last edited by OD*; April 24th, 2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Flip a coin then run out and buy both before it lands. At these prices you can't afford not to have a few shotguns.
    If he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend, he shoulda armed himself.

Well fellas, I've narrowed the search down, and I've decided on the Mossberg 590A1!

Thanks for all of your help!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I've seen a few 870s in the military, but mostly its Mossberg's. I have both. Carried both on patrol, and on SWAT. Personally the only true difference I can find, is the location of the thumb safety. If your going to use a pistol grip, the Remmington is easier to reach as the Mossberg has the safety ontop of the receiver. If your using a regular stock, then the Mossberg is easier to reach. Both were equipted with Surefire lights on the front end and Speedfeed stocks. If putting one together now, I'd go with an 1100, with a M4 stock, J-doc sight and Surefire stock. Why? I can cook off more rounds quicker with an 1100 than I can work the cycle on either my 870 or 500.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paratroop23 View Post
    Well fellas, I've narrowed the search down, and I've decided on the Mossberg 590A1!

Thanks for all of your help!
    You will be very pleased with your Mossberg 590A1!

I have always like the Remington 870 more then the Mossberg 500. Remingtons seem to kick quite a bit less then the Mossbergs do and thats pretty important if you're using the gun for HD.

Either one will suit you well...both are excellent weapons...what it boils down to is what you feel more comfortable with...both will last you a lifetime
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Remingtons seem to rule the roost in law enforcement and Mossberg with the military.

When I bought my Mossberg 590 A1, I bought it because I read that the Mossberg was the only shotgun to meet military specs.

Now that was almost 18 years ago so I don't remember all the details, however the Mossberg has twin guide rods on the pump action which I am told can prevent binds. Part of the military specs was firing 10,000 rounds without breakage.

What I really like about the Mossberg is the safety is on the tang right on top of the receiver instead of the crossbar safety behind the trigger guard. That has worked well for me.

Both are excellent weapons.

If you have an old Remington 870, Bill Wilson who bought out Scattergun Technologies will totally rework and refinish your 870 making it up to date and reliable for combat/home defense. New finish, new follower, any new parts needed or whatever you need.
    (So if you get a good deal on a pawn shop 870, send it in to Wilson and you will have a reliable defense gun).

When I do take the plunge and go with a Class III 14 inch shotgun, It will be the Remington 870 from Wilson/Scattergun Technologies.

But the old Mossberg has served me well for close to 18 years.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Lew
    If you buy either one with just a pistol grip, stop return to the shop and pick up the shoulder stock (either with the pistol grip or not) even if you switch back and forth, get them. I have a new moss 500 persuader with only the pistol grip and the heat shield on the top. I fired 7 rounds thru it and promtly put it back into the case to stay until I get the shoulder stock....Mind you I am a big man, over 6 foot and 300 lbs. When hold something with my hands it usually stays where I left it, but that mossberg...has some kick. I was able to hold it on target and follow up my shots very quickly, but the hole in the pistol grip for the bolt to connect it to the gun, hits right where your thumb web is and doesnt allow for good energy transfer. In other words, it REALLY HURT!!!! My wife called me a sissy and she got 2 rounds thru it before she conceeded that I was right and have permission to buy the shoulder stock. I did not bother with I told you so as she rubber her thumb....
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I like a pistol grip (with stock of course) on my shotgun...just feels good and I'm used to that design so I went with the 870 because the safety is easier to reach. you can't go wrong with either of them though!

Lew,

If you really need to have the pistol grip....check out Knoxx Industries replacement grip. I ordered their Spec Ops stock for my 590 A1 and the Power Pack....haven't got it yet...but their videos are pretty convincing at how well they decrease recoil. They have a video of several people using the new pistol grip....one was a gal that was pretty small.

Here's a link:

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/P...chersGrip.html

They also have a Spec Ops folder.....would give you the option of using it as a pistol grip or a regular stock.

Wayne
    Last edited by Senderofan; May 5th, 2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added more information

590A1

I recieved my new shotgun this past week!! There is a noticable difference in weight between the 500 and the 590A1 due to the heavier barrel and metal trigger housing. I haven't fired her yet, but I'm happy so far. I might have to wait a couple weeks to test it out since I'm going TDY on monday!

Anyway....I have been "firing" my shotgun with snap caps and after chambering the first round, squeeze the trigger *click* rack the forearm*ejecting and chambering the next "shell"* pull the trigger and there's no click until I re-rack the forearm ejecting the unfired shell, after I squeeze the trigger with the empty chamber the hammer falls.

Is this normal?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links