Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking around for a good defensive/offensive shotgun. I need one that I can take to the range and beat up a bit, and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870

Question Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870

I've been looking around for a good defensive/offensive shotgun. I need one that I can take to the range and beat up a bit, and one that is rugged and dependable. I don't mind paying for quality, but I don't want to break the bank. I don't know much about any of these particular brands/models, but they've all been highly recommended. Which one would you recommend, and why?

Paratroop23

2. Remove Ads

I recommend a Mossberg 590. I have the 590 and an 835. Both are tanks. But Remington makes a fine scatter gun also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one(s). I keep a 590A1 in the storm shelter with the survival gear. My house defense gun is a 18.5 in 870 . For hunting ,a wingmaster 870 and a rem 1100 (with extra barrals). You'll get your quality no matter which you choose. None will break the bank.

I prefer the Remy but the Mossberg is a fine weapon as well.

I feel the Remington is the benchmark as far as pump guns are concerned, much like the Martin D28 is the acoustic guitar which others are measured by.

can't go wrong with either of them. "American Rifleman"in its current issue has a write up on mossberg military shotguns both the 500/590 permutation. I like both but have used the 500/590 more. I prefer the the safety mounted on top of the scattergun because I don't have to move my trigger finger while its in register and instead flip the safety forward with my thumb. the 870 uses a bar that you pushed to the left I believe. this is a personal quirk though. the 590 carries more rounds compared with the 870 (9 vs. 7).

try them on for size. work the safety and the pump action. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

I have one of each-
    For Home Defense-
    Remington 870 Marine Police stainless receiver and barrel, 18" barrel, ghost ring sights, blued barrel shroud, Choate standard butt stock with pistol grip, Remington limb saver butt plate, Choate fore-end grip, GG&G tactical sling, Surefire 6P light mounted under end of barrel, 6 round ammo carrier mounted on left side of receiver. I carry 1 in chamber, 4 in magazine and 6 in carrier of #1 buckshot. Stays mounted in lockable police type gun mount rack in bedroom closet. Rack is unlocked when I'm home. I lock it when I leave.
    For Field Use-
    Mossberg 500, standard wood stocked shotgun, painted camo, stays in the gun safe.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

I have a Mossberg 500 for HD; my dad has an 870. They're both solid guns and have never given any trouble. I chose the Mossberg for two reasons: I preferred the location of the Mossberg's safety, and I preferred the way the shell lifter stays up with the bolt closed instead of down like the Remington's does. I find I can feed shells faster in the Mossy than the Rem, but your experience may vary.

Edit: Here's a site with a decent comparison between the two guns: http://members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html Really, though, you can't go wrong with either one. They're both great, economical choices.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I prefer the remington 870 as I had mine for better than 30 years
    with no problems.

Talking

Thanks a bunch you guys, you are really helping me narrow my decision!!

Keep em coming!

Here's a sidebar question------> What's the difference between the 590 and the 500?
    Last edited by paratroop23; April 21st, 2007 at 10:12 PM.

Not a whole lot, really. The 500 and 590 share the same reciever. IIRC, the 590 has a steel trigger guard on some models, has a bayonet lug, and different sling swivel positions. It's also rumored to have thicker steel in the barrel, but I have my doubts about that.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one but I personally prefer the Mossberg 590. Mine has not been tricked out or anything and I will tell you, I think it will do the job. We carried the same model on the Weapons Dept. Roving Security Patrol onboard ship and I liked it then. So I bought myself one to have at home and it has lived with us for many years now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    If you are going to shoot a lot of slugs go with the 590 or 870. They are both excellent shotguns, although I prefer the placement of the controls on th Mossberg's over the 870. It's easier clearing a double feed on a 590 than a 870. If you buy an older 870 see if the shell lifter has been modified to reduce the double feed problem, if not you can retrofit the newer lifter.

I've got both a Remington 870 12ga and an Ithaca 37 12ga. I much prefer the Ithaca for smoothness of operation. Both have been highly reliable. The Remy is a tank. The Ithaca is (to me) simpler to disassemble. The feeding/ejection method used by the Ithaca is a preference, for me, as well. For defensive use, either of these or the Mossberg 500 series should serve well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...I much prefer the Ithaca for smoothness of operation...
    Isn't that Model 37 a peach! I agree, I think Ithaca's rule...

On the 590/870 question:
    I like Mossberg controls and prefer shooting it to the 870. I shoot both as practice. There is no doubt the Wingmaster is better made, however, you probably won't wear either of them out.
    There are more accessories marketed for the 870.

You should shoot as many brands as you can, because guns are personal, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. You have to live fire a weapon a few times to feel how it affects you and how well it places slug/shot/buck. Handling a friends/gunshop weapon and shooting it are two different things.

Either are good home defence/hunting/target shooting shotguns and you won't go wrong with either brand. If you have the gun disease...then getting both is mandatory.

Here's a couple of URLs:

870 Vs 500 series, biased towards Mossberg

Comparitive Study: Remington 870 vs Mosberg 590

OD*
    I'm not sure if the Remington 870 was ever a standard issue shotgun for the United States military.

Justin T. Huang must be a young guy.
    They've been using them since Vietnam.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links