Left eye Dominant

This is a discussion on Left eye Dominant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And wouldn't you know it Right handed. Is there a best or most common way on how to compensate and use right handed rifle? thx...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left eye Dominant

Left eye Dominant

And wouldn't you know it Right handed. Is there a best or most common way on how to compensate and use right handed rifle? thx
    It is not wrong to be Right
    An apeaser is a man who hopes that the crocidle eats him last

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not so easy with rifle - but I'd say much will be down to a good choice of optics
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm a lefty, but right-eye dominant. Same problem, different side.

What I do with pistols is to turn the top of the gun over to the right, so that my right eye is targeting.

With a rifle, I normally suck it up and use the left eye when there are good optics, or turn it over to the right if I've got precision optics for distance. Though, with a rifle, the errors of this method show up in spades. Suffice to say, I'm not out in the field hunting anymore. Plus, it makes for an interesting "zero" on the scope.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am generally right handed for throwing and when using small tools and writing. Baseball bat, sledge hammer, axe and a golf club I am lefty. I shoot pistol with left eye. For rifle or shotgun I am right eye. I thought until now I was the only one like that. Glad to see I am not alone in this!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Left eye dominant, and ambidextrious, but I shoot mostly right handed, I am trying to predominantly train two eyes open for hand gun, I shoot as good left or right handed with a long gun, so right handed long guns are easier to come by. Thus I shoot right handed long guns.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

Im left eyye dominate, and right handed also. This is called cross dominance. I only have right handed rifles, myself.

I only use my left eye for shooting. So, I shoot lefthanded with righthanded rifles.
    When Im using a right handed bolt. I rotate the rifle counter clockwise, with my righthand thats on the forgrip. When the rifle is rotated to where the bolt is facing the sky. I use my left hand to work the bolt. I dont know if that explanation makes sense to you. Its difficult to describe, in words.

Here is a artical with some good advice for cross dominate people:http://woolleyshooting.com/Articles/eye.html

My problem is, shooting pool! If someone can show me how to compensate for that. I would be very thankfull!

VIP Member

Right handed, blind in rt eye

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    And wouldn't you know it Right handed. Is there a best or most common way on how to compensate and use right handed rifle? thx

I'm right handed but blind in the right eye. With regard to pistol shooting I have not found a good answer. I practice with both hands and do a lot of practice with the left hand so the sights line up correctly. It takes time, but one can get used to doing it that way---though sometimes the ejected rounds cause a problem.

I also practice with the right hand and pull the pistol over so my good left eye is seeing the sight picture. I guess I shift my body too, in an awkard stance, but "whatever works."

I have not shot a rifle in very many years (40?) but learned to shoot that lefty so my good eye would line up with the sight.

All we can do is try different stuff and choose the things that work best, even if they are not perfect.

Rifles: I close my left eye.

Pistols: I shoot left handed. Alternatively, I rotate my right wrist counter-clockwise until the sights align with my left eye. Personally, I've found shooting left handed to be easier, YMMV.

Shotguns: I place an opaque dot on the left lens of my shooting glasses. This allows me to keep both eyes open whilst sighting through my right eye.

While I don't have the opposing eye/hand problem, a freind of mine does. I have watched his shooting style many times to try and figure out why he kept hitting less than center. After about three rounds, he would try to compensate by aiming differently, and would wind up all over the paper. After a slight adjustment to his sights, and a little friendly suggestion, he was on target more frequently.

The suggestion? Don't bring the sights to the eye, bring the eye to the sights. If it means tucking your chin a little toward the shooting hand shoulder, try it. If it doesn't work, nothing lost but a couple of rounds. If it does, BINGO.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Simply put.....your hosed, LOL. The best option I can give after training thousands of troops during basic training and at police ranges some of who have the same issue is closing the left eye. With handguns I often tell folks to work on their shooting with their weak hand, or learning to close their left eye during shooting. With rifles, alot have found good results with using a red dot scope device where you can shoot with both eyes open. Good luck and thank God I was blessed with right on right vision.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I'm in the same boat

I am right handed and left eye dominant. When I was in the military I shot left handed (and always took some brass in the face) but it felt comfortable and I was accurate. Stag Arms actually make some nice AR15s for us left handed shooters.

But when it came to shooting pistols it was a different story. It didn't feel comfortable shooting left handed at all. But my accuracy is so much better when I do. I have been practicing a great deal drawing and shooting with my left hand now and feel that it is slowly becoming more natural. I have been doing left hand strengthening exercises as well.

For all you right handers who shoot lefty: Keep fighting the good fight and force yourself to learn lefty. It'll get easier.
    JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

I am also right handed, left eye dominate. I don't really see it as a problem.

When I shoot a scoped rifle I close my left eye, shoot right handed and sight with my right eye.
    Shooting a pistol, I shoot with both eyes open and the left eye does the work. It takes a little practice but not much to get the master eye to do the work.

My right eye is worthless so shooting with my left closed would be dangerous. Shooting with both eyes open, right-handed, doesn;t work for me either. I found that since I shoot my rifle well lefty, I should learn to just shoot my pistol lefty as well.
    JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by GodGunsGlory View Post
    My right eye is worthless so shooting with my left closed would be dangerous. Shooting with both eyes open, right-handed, doesn;t work for me either. I found that since I shoot my rifle well lefty, I should learn to just shoot my pistol lefty as well.
    That's what I started doing about two years ago. It really wasn't very difficult. I still practice all four grips (left only, right only, two hand left, two hand right), but the two hand leftie actually feels the most natural now.

Right handed, left eye dominant & can not wink my left eye. I've tried for over 25 years, I just can't and neither can my 2 brothers, so we figure it must be some weird genetic thing.
    I discovered this back during rifle merit badge when I was 13 and having a hell of a time hitting the target consistantly. The instructor said "try shooting lefty" and guess what? I started hitting the black. I've learned to deal with it and shoot lefty. Some guns are better than others- top ejecting Winchester 30-30= casings to the forehead! Overall it hasn't proven to be a real problem since. I tend to favor ambi setups so my wife can use them if need be.
    Highwayman Rider

"An armed society is a polite society."
    -R.A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links