SUREFIRE SHOTGUN LIGHT Failure

This is a discussion on SUREFIRE SHOTGUN LIGHT Failure within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Found out the hard Way. Ran some 3 inch mag through my 870 with the pump mounted light. Not designed for it. Blew the bulb ...

Thread: SUREFIRE SHOTGUN LIGHT Failure

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Found out the hard Way.
    Ran some 3 inch mag through my 870 with the pump mounted light. Not designed for it. Blew the bulb out after about 5 shots. Emailed surefire they said its only for reduced loads.

sigh...........................
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks for telling me about this! I was in the process of saving up funds to buy one of these...again...THANKS!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Strange....I used one on both my 870 and Moss 500 and with mag loads through a shotgun course and never had a failure. That is just interesting.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Lead Moderator
    does it have the shock bezel on it?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Shouldn't it come with one? If so it shouldn't break by shooting it.
    Yeah I like Glocks, wanna fight about it!

Lead Moderator
    It should , and no it shouldn't break. Contacting Surefire would be a first option for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Dear Sir,

The recoil from a 3 inch magnum round will be too much for the lamp to handle. Though the light is shock isolated, a magnum round is still too much for it. The light was designed to be used with standard or low recoil rounds that are commonly used by police agencies. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to write back or call us at 1-800-828-8809. We are dedicated to providing world class customer service.
    SureFire Technical Support
    1(800)828-8809 Toll Free
    (714)545-9444
    (714)545-9537 Fax

Heres the email I got back from them.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Rob99VMI04,

You're not the only one, I know a couple other guys that "shot out" their lamps on their Surefires. Shotguns just produce a boatload of recoil.

It's the reason I prefer my M3X on a rail mount. It's easy to remove for practice to save wear on the bulb. It's also shock mounted, but you know how that goes.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Is converting the light to an LED an option? Not sure if that would put out enough light.
    "Use enough gun." - Robert Ruark

I had plans to get one and upgrade it with this bulb. It would be twice as bright, more durable, and batteries would last longer (not that runtime is too important with this type of application.

Personally I hate the P60 Lamp assembly. I have had nothing but problems with them. They are way too week IMHO.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Obviously, up to you, but unless you just want to use 3", you don't have much to gain over the "standard" 2 3/4". Its hard to get much to stay together or stay in place on a 12g, with magnum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Obviously, up to you, but unless you just want to use 3", you don't have much to gain over the "standard" 2 3/4". Its hard to get much to stay together or stay in place on a 12g, with magnum loads.
    I just had about 2 cases of 3 in sittnig around I was going to get rid of. I normally shoot 2 and 3/4 but when I went out to test it I was just like well I'll shoot these.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I just had about 2 cases of 3 in sittnig around I was going to get rid of. I normally shoot 2 and 3/4 but when I went out to test it I was just like well I'll shoot these.
    As in 500 rounds? Yeah, that would be too much of an investment to switch or try to trade. (I did that when I bought a Benelli. This time 'round, with an 870, I've stayed with the 2 3/4" )The Cree might be your best shot. Good luck!

New Member Array Peacefulwarrior's Avatar
    I have used a Surefire dedicated forearm light for several years on my personal 870 and for a few more years on a duty shotgun and found them pretty robust with standard loads. I did purchase the Surefire replacement endcap for use during extended range sessions. I have seen a few lights break from banging the shotgun into walls etc. in training and simply unscrewing the light and replacing the endcap is a lot easier than replacing the forearm for training purposes.
    Plus using the endcap keeps the "round count" on the light down so it will last longer.

Links