Do I buy the Mossy or not?

This is a discussion on Do I buy the Mossy or not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd pretty much decided not to buy another gun until I saved up enough money for a good 7.62 battle rifle (something like a FAL, ...

Thread: Do I buy the Mossy or not?

I'd pretty much decided not to buy another gun until I saved up enough money for a good 7.62 battle rifle (something like a FAL, M1A, or a HK91). But then I stopped by the gun store this afternoon and they've got a couple of used Mossberg 590s for $199. They're set up exactly the way I would want a HD shotgun to be: synthetic stock, ghost ring sights, fairly short barrel (18-20in I think) full length magazine tube. Now they are somewhat the worse for wear (some dents and dings, a bit of rust on one of them), but they're selling for about half the price of what Impact Guns lists for a new 590 set up the same way.

This is driving me nuts. I really want to stick to my vow to save up for a good semiauto 7.62, especially since I'm not to worried about anyone banning pump shotguns. On the other hand, I intend to get a shotgun eventually, and this seems like a pretty good deal. Do I go for instant gratification, or save up for what I really want?

Assistant Administrator
    Hard decision ... tho Mossy's will always be around at good prices - somewhere.

CDNN on page 44 of latest catalog have a ''500 ported 12G - 3" mag'' for $199.99.

Good gun to have tho - your call
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have a 590 and it's an awesome scattergun, but IMO for the money the 500 or even the Mossberg model 88 "Maverick" is a ******* a shotty! And you can pick up a "Mav" for less than $200 BRAND NEW! The bad thing (if you can call it that) about the 590 is that it has the steel receiver as where the 500 & Mav have the aluminum receiver, hence the 590 weighs a ton! I would feel just as good about the 500 or Mav as I would a 590. The 590's different features is basically cosmetic. Heat shield, bayonet lug ONE extra round in the mag? Is it worth the extra money? Hell...I even like the looks of the Mav best of the three! Just don't feed the Maverick a steady diet of "00" ammo or (God forbid) Magnum loads...it will certainly kill it a slow death.

If you were in Oklahoma I would tell you to buy a brand new "Maverick" put a 6 round side saddle, a sling and a Speed Feed stock on it, and I would trade you my 590 for it!

If they are beat and a little rusty I would pass. New they are cheap enough so the price does not seem like such a great deal. Good deal maybe great deal no.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    If they are Police Trade-ins and not the commercial grade,
    BUY IT!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    If they are Police Trade-ins and not the commercial grade,
    BUY IT!
    Any way to tell the difference?

See if they'll drop the price a little...if the dings and rust bothers you. I hate to tell you what I paid for my 590 A1 a couple months ago. NIB with tax...$500. So, $199 sounds pretty appealing...if it's something you can work on and turn it into something you like.

If you decide to go that route...and need to replace the butt stock..let me know. My brand new, factory issued is being replaced as soon as my order from Knoxx Industries gets here.

Good Luck,

Wayne

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Try and get them to drop the $$ a bit , now not that they are over priced but sometimes you can get a bargain with a bit of talk . Second IMHO you have till the next election to get that " battle rifle " and should be able to do both if you cut out the happy hour at sonic LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    The bad thing (if you can call it that) about the 590 is that it has the steel receiver as where the 500 & Mav have the aluminum receiver, hence the 590 weighs a ton! I would feel just as good about the 500 or Mav as I would a 590. The 590's different features is basically cosmetic. Heat shield, bayonet lug ONE extra round in the mag? Is it worth the extra money?
    I don't know about your 590, but my 590 has an aluminum receiver. It doesn't seem especially heavy, either.

Personally, I like the barrel shroud and full-length magazine.

Links