Need Help Deciding which AK

This is a discussion on Need Help Deciding which AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently own a Colt AR and love it. Shoots great, no mis-feeds or jams and is accurate. Now I'm looking for a decent AK. ...

Thread: Need Help Deciding which AK

I currently own a Colt AR and love it. Shoots great, no mis-feeds or jams and is accurate.

Now I'm looking for a decent AK. I was in my local gunshop which had Century AKs and to be honest, they looked pretty shoddy.

I've found a Tantal AK-74 that looks fairly nice for around $600.

Does anyone have an opinion on these?

Taking any suggestions.

Thanks in advanced!
    Avi
    "I would like to die in my sleep like my grandfather did - and not like his screaming passengers!" - unknown
    -------------------------------
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

Century is known for less than ideal fit and finish on some of their guns....it seems they really differ from gun to gun. Some people love the WASRs and some people hate them.
    Tantals are pretty interesting little guns I have one that I'm planning on building here someday. Just in case you don't know, they take a different round. Traditional AKs take 7.62x39 and the 74 varients take5.45x39.
    For a middle of the road AK, a lot of people like Vector's guns. They have them for about 500 at atlantic firearms for a stamped gun. Milled guns are in the 850 range.
    Real question is what do you want the gun for?
    Have you considered building one?

Here is Atlantic's selection of AKs
    http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...ew.asp?CatId=2

VIP Member
    I think Century had problems with the WASR but I think it was during the AWB era since they had to modify them to comply with the law. I bought mine after-AWB and I had no problems other than the finish, not even the infamous trigger slap. Same for others that bought after-AWB. Mine came under $350 and other than polishing the trigger group for smoothness, I had no mechanical problems at all.
    WASRs are a fun gun to do a project since you will have lots of residual cash to invest in after-market stuff.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Arsenal is the best IMHO.

C4
    G&R Tactical, LLC
    www.GRTactical.com

Well I live in hurricane ally so I was looking to use the gun for home/looting defense (a just in case scenerio), and target practice. Unfortunately, I don't have time to build one :(

Appreciate it. I'll take a look at Atlantic and Arsenal.

Avi
    "I would like to die in my sleep like my grandfather did - and not like his screaming passengers!" - unknown
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
    I've found a Tantal AK-74 that looks fairly nice for around $600.
    Personally, I would not go with 5.45x39. Right now you can get corrosive surplus real cheap, but it wasnít too long ago that you could not find any ammo. Once this surplus ammo is gone, I think it is going to be harder to find that caliber again. I would go with 7.62x39 (1st choice) or .223 (second choice).

Lancaster Consulting is getting a real good reputation. You can get one in 7.62x39 for about $500Ö.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=275
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I would say to take a good look at vector.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Think I've narrowed it down to a Vector. Just can't decide on wood or poly and whether or not I should get a milled receiver.

Too many options arghhhhh!

Ok...wood and non-milled for now :)

Appreciate the help!

Regards,
    Avi
    XD .45 Tactical
    XD 9MM Sub Compact
    Taurus .357 Mag Revolver
    Colt AR-15 A3 .223
    Vector AK-47 7.62

I have never personally owned or even fired an AK, but after reading some of Mad Ogre's posts about the AK, I think I might get one. He really likes his new Vector AK. Check out his blog here: http://madogre.com/News.html
    You'll have to Ctrl+F to find where he is talking about the Vector, because it is just one long page.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    For the uses you mention , just get one . As a rule an ak will run , and the " better " ak is not a lot more accurate , and no more dependable than the " You bought what ?? " level . I also am looking at picking up an ak or ak clone ( mac 90 ect.. ) but am doing it as a bargin comes along . When i find one for under 200 on a ftf sale or trade ill get it . I have a fiew sks so its just a want to have an ak of some kind not a need for me lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    As a rule an ak will run , and the " better " ak is not a lot more accurate , and no more dependable than the " You bought what ?? " level .
    I can tell you from experience that a VEPR is significantly more accurate than a bargain priced AK.

But while I had no problem paying a little over $500 for one a couple of years ago, I donít think I could talk myself into buying one now for $900Ö

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog....asp?Prodid=18

I love my VEPR, but I donít think I would pay $900 for an AK.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Arsenal is the best IMHO.
    I have several and I will back that opinion up.

I thought I'd get a cheap AK with a siderail and the WASRs were the only ones I've seen around. I picked one up a few months ago and the headspace was terrible. I has been at CAI for the last month. I knew CAI had a bad reputation, but I doubt I'll bother with them again, even if the price was low.

I've seen far too many AKs malfuction in the last few years and many of those cheap AKs are not combat worthy. If you want a combat reliable/durable AK, you're going to have to spend some money these days. The cheap good ones are very uncommon.

I know more than a few people that are getting 2 MOA with their AKs, which backs up what MadOgre said. http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...p?topic=1272.0

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    JT in my own defense , over the last 20 years ago i have owned a half dozen or so ak's rangeing from the cheapest ( at the time ) fixed stock jobs , to a milled reciver side folder that i paid the ungodly price of 400 for . ( we are talking pre ban for the most part here ) . some had better fit and finish , some i liked better ( witness the $400 sidefolder at a time that would have gotten a good duty pistol ) . I never scoped an ak , so for the most part they all ran well , and shot combat acceptable with irons . I have never run an ak and an sks head to head on paper at ranges , but if i cant buy an ak for what i can an sks the ak offers nothing to me , since from my recolection it will be no more accurate , will not shoot a longer range cartrage , ect .. Mag cap is all it offers ( and a bit of lighter weight ) to me . and frankly the price/handy tradeoff for any ak for me at least is about at the $200 and under level . If any ak were going to be a bragging point or a " lodge pin " gun ( see bbq gun lol ) i would feel different .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

JT
    Magazine capacity is a big plus for the AK in my opinion. I would also give it the edge in reliability and durability over an SKS, although the SKS is certainly no slouch in that department.

As for accuracy...it seems to be "common knowledge" that an SKS will out shoot an AK, but I'll put a VEPR or an Arsenal up against an SKS any time in that department.

The yugos made by century are a good ak. You can get them for under $500. I have 1 and after shooting it all my ar buddies picked one up as well.You can get them in both wood and under folder models. They have a thicker receiver than the standered ak. You can also now get optic mounts for them from ultimack.

Sponsored Links