I hate being poor.... Because I found a real Garand

This is a discussion on I hate being poor.... Because I found a real Garand within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wandering around the local box sporting goods store and found A real well worn Springfield (well non-reproduction) M-1 Garand. I don't know anything ...

Thread: I hate being poor.... Because I found a real Garand

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

I hate being poor.... Because I found a real Garand

I was wandering around the local box sporting goods store and found A real well worn Springfield (well non-reproduction) M-1 Garand. I don't know anything about the serial numbers but the stock was in really good shape except some minor gouges and where the finish was worn off from shooting the rifle.

They had only $700 on it, but alas being poor I can't just have a safe queen and I have to many bills that I'm trying to pay off to justify putting it on lay away right now. It just was pretty cool to get to handle an original Garand...I just wish it could have followed me home.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    So many great firearms and never enough dollars right when you need them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Wow always great to hold a piece of history like that eh?

Gun I learned to shoot was a Springfield 03 from WW2. The thing was beaten all to hell but always went bang, and hit where you wanted it to. Can't beat the classics, but I am glad you got to hold such a weapon. Truly a work of art it is..
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I got to fire a restored Garand at the range a couple weeks ago. A real pleasure to hold and shoot...Patton was right! The fellow who restored it was some kind of shot too. 1 inch groups at 100 yards with irons and 50 year old ammo.

I was impressed with him and his old gal. I almost wanted to put the AR away........almost.

Lead Moderator
    I shot a match accurized M1 for service competition in the early 90's. Great gun, just keep your thumb outta the bolts way when inserting a fresh clip.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I was poor when i was young too , heck i still am but i have over the years accumliated enough trade goods to get about anything i want . Few of us can " have it all " now , and while many of us speak to a lot of firearms understand that for the most part we never owned them all at once . While the garand is a nice rifle , its not one that right now i would sell any high cap ( be it pistol , rifle , or shotgun ) to get . Dont regret poor , and never look back on a gun sale/trade either . Just go on and build as you can .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I love Garands.

I love shooting them. And owning them. Just looking at them. Reading about them.

Pretty much anything to do with them.

I have six now (down from seven) and each is different, has it's own "personality", different high points and low points, etc.
    I'd take another 100 of them if I could.

My dad carried one around Germany at the very end of WWII (and after), and while he was never very interested in guns at all, he was rather happy when I got my first one (an International Harvester).

If you pass that one up, there is still hope.
    The Civilian Marksmanship Program (replaced the DCM) still sells them. They are currently out of them, but are supposed to have more for sale late this year. That gives you time to save your pennies anyway.
    The CMP is cheaper than most any source out there (I haven't checked in a while, but they generally run from around $400 and up, depending on grade). The lowest grades are still usually pretty nice.
    www.odcmp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    ... I can't just have a safe queen...
    Safe queen?!?!
    Any "real" M1 Garand you might get probably spent a lot of years serving and fighting- to preserve our freedoms and rights to do things like shoot that very rifle. If you get one, do it and yourself a favor and shoot it.
    That's the beauty of them. They live on, giving us an appreciation for what people like my dad fought for.
    When you hold a Garand, you are holding history in your hands, and get a history lesson every time you shoot it.

I traced the serial number of my Springfield Garand and it was manufactured in September of 1941.

The "General" occupies a place of honor in my gun safe.

I don't shoot it a lot but when I do, I feel a weird kind of pride when I think it probably helped win WWII.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I have one that I am rebuilding. I have rebarreled and chambered it for the 308. It had already been rebarreled once so I know I was not hurting the value. all I have to do now is park. it. I also bought a lpepper laminated stock for it. You can't go wrong with an m1 and the good news is it's not like you won't be able to find one when you can afford it.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry in IN View Post
    I love Garands.

I love shooting them. And owning them. Just looking at them. Reading about them.

Pretty much anything to do with them.

I have six now (down from seven) and each is different, has it's own "personality", different high points and low points, etc.
    I'd take another 100 of them if I could.

My dad carried one around Germany at the very end of WWII (and after), and while he was never very interested in guns at all, he was rather happy when I got my first one (an International Harvester).

If you pass that one up, there is still hope.
    The Civilian Marksmanship Program (replaced the DCM) still sells them. They are currently out of them, but are supposed to have more for sale late this year. That gives you time to save your pennies anyway.
    The CMP is cheaper than most any source out there (I haven't checked in a while, but they generally run from around $400 and up, depending on grade). The lowest grades are still usually pretty nice.
    www.odcmp.com

Safe queen?!?!
    Any "real" M1 Garand you might get probably spent a lot of years serving and fighting- to preserve our freedoms and rights to do things like shoot that very rifle. If you get one, do it and yourself a favor and shoot it.
    That's the beauty of them. They live on, giving us an appreciation for what people like my dad fought for.
    When you hold a Garand, you are holding history in your hands, and get a history lesson every time you shoot it.
    It would only end up a safe queen due to I would rather trapshoot, or shoot my pistols because I'm a horrible rifle shot and I already have a scoped 30-06 for deer that sees the light of day around deer season. While yes it would deserve to be shot, if it were a WWII vintage rifle it would be hard for me to want to because it is a vintage WWII rifle.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

A Garand is definitely on my list of "must haves". Along with an M1 carbine, a Springfield, and a vintage 1911. I'm not really a big collector, but I kind of muddle through and pick up what I can, when funds and opportunity permit. It's a great way to enjoy the history and appreciate our soldiers from another era. For example, one set I've put together is a 1943 Enfield .303 w/ bayonets and bandolier, along with a Webley .455. As has been said, it's nice just to hold a piece of history and wonder where it's been.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Links