New SLR15 Operator Level 3

This is a discussion on New SLR15 Operator Level 3 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is the link to the pics... http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5388765 These rifles are built by Greg "Sully" Sullivan, the link to the rifle models, spec and other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New SLR15 Operator Level 3

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar

New SLR15 Operator Level 3

Here is the link to the pics...
    http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5388765
    These rifles are built by Greg "Sully" Sullivan, the link to the rifle models, spec and other info can be found here:
    www.slr15.com
    Last edited by dimmak; May 6th, 2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Reposting the links upon request.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Allrighty then ... while it might well be a fine rifle , more info is needed if the post is to be seen as anything other than spam ( for myself i did not take it as spam since i know you on the board ) .

For the rest of the board , just what makes this a fine rifle , and why should i pay more for it than an Oly arms plinker costs ??
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I've heard good things about this rifle on SWAT magazine.

Who made the bag in the last photo?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Its a fine rifle as i understand , but the OP IMHO needs to say why lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Lead Moderator
    O.K. another AR , doesn't seem any different options than I could build out of any other AR out there.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

wow, what a nice response.....
    As far as info is concerned, that's why I included the link to the manufacturer....
    Sorry to have bothered anyone....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    wow, what a nice response.....
    As far as info is concerned, that's why I included the link to the manufacturer....
    Sorry to have bothered anyone....
    Not trying to get ya down, but just don't see any better/unique features of this brand(unknown to me) over known , proven reliable brands.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    You didn't bother anyone dimmak......nice photos......thanks for sharing.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Not trying to get ya down, but just don't see any better/unique features of this brand(unknown to me) over known , proven reliable brands.

You didnt get me down at all.... As stated, this brand of rifle is unknown to you.....

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    You didn't bother anyone dimmak......nice photos......thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, I dont want to be a bother.....
    The bags can be found here as well as other places for less.....
    http://www.marsgear.com/molle_rifle_case.php

dimmak , no one is throwing rocks at you , but an explination of why this is worth it ( in your personal opinion ) to my mind is worth posting .on the thread . Not an extensive review , but just what made you choose it over others . I am sorry if i offended you , and will apologise in public since apparently i have . Please excuse my ham handed ness and consider posting the info of just why you chose to purchace this model .

No worries RR....
    I value this board and dont wish to post anything out of line, especially regarding anything which could be mistaken as spam..... I have no vested interest in the manufacturer or the website, except to say that I am very pleased with my new rifle.....

As to why I chose not to post a lengthy explanation of my reasoning for buying this rifle, I am very busy lately and don't have a lot of time to spend on the computer. I felt if anyone wished to learn the specs on the rifle, they could access the site and research the web for all the ins and outs. However, that was assuming of me (and we all know what assuming does....)

I currently own a Bushmaster V- Match, a Stagarms Stag-15 (RH) and a Colt 6920 in addition to the SLR15 Operator....
    The fit and finish of the Colt is far and away better than the other two and I mainly purchased it as a gift for my son when he gets older (although, I'd not hesitate to bug out with it in the least)....
    I researched at great lengths the purchase of the next AR and looked at Baer, Wilson, LMT, Sabre Defense (even another Colt) as well as others for a no-fluff, no-nonsense, high quality fighting carbine for training, classes as well as TEOTWAWKI gun and so I could put the Colt up for posterity....

After many hours of research and consulting with individuals whose opinion and experience as instructors is highly regarded and observe hundreds of rifles a year in classes and extensive round counts, I found that the best value for what I was seeking was in the SLR15 (can you say "run-on sentence?")

I chose the level 3 Operator as it fit my needs, I have the VLTOR stock on the Stag and like it, so I had one installed.... In the future, I will be replacing this with one of the Sully Stocks instead to facillitate "butt-stroking" if need be.....

I hope this answers any questions regarding why I purchased this rifle and once again I apologize for any confusion I may have caused....

Dimmak if that is not the post i asked for , its at least dammed close , please re link on the OP . and when you have the time please give us more of your decision process and the advantages this rifle offered you other than others . I do sir respect your opinion , i just ask that as you can you share it with us . Again i dont think you spammed anything , and i think you are the proud owner of a new rifle , i just ask for a thumbnail scetch of how this came to be . Its a fine rifle , and many of our inexperianced members are looking to buy an ar based rifle . When it comes to the AR platform , as i am shure you know some " citizens " are a little " more equal " than others . Today a fella can buy a cheap ar and for the most part do fine ... You chose to buy an exceptional one , and i for one would like to read why . No time pressure , but dont stop the thread either .. there is info for all of us here .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Dimmak if that is not the post i asked for , its at least dammed close , please re link on the OP . and when you have the time please give us more of your decision process and the advantages this rifle offered you other than others . When it comes to the AR platform , as i am shure you know some " citizens " are a little " more equal " than others . Today a fella can buy a cheap ar and for the most part do fine ... You chose to buy an exceptional one , and i for one would like to read why . No time pressure , but dont stop the thread either .. there is info for all of us here .

Roger that, RR....
    When I purchased the Bushy, It was for killing paper jihadists and the occasional groundhog. Then I got a hankering for a carbine, so I picked up the Stag.... At the time, it was not more than a "toy" so to speak and it fit my needs well as I was not seriously training and never fired more than a few hundred rounds a year. I had 2 broken extractors which were both repaired under warranty and the rifle was shooting a bit high out of the box, which they also repaired....
    As you alluded to, most shooters wont be firing their rifles much more than this and to each's needs, as it were.... (And yes, having had the experience of tearing down the Stag repeatedly, I could have built my own carbine using high quality components and probably have gotten away with a nice rifle, but after hearing repeated horror stories of homebuilt rifles going "t.u." during a class, I felt it best to leave assembly of such a weapon to a proper gunsmith.)

I have already touched on my reasons for getting the Colt, so in the interest of brevity, I wont revisit that...

My needs regarding firearms have changed ever time from buying more guns to spending money and time on training and ammo and as such I have come to acquiring what some term "fighting" guns. The SLR15 Operator is a no fluff fighting and training rifle, built from the highest quality components and without all the extraneous ornamentals.... (Aside from a high quality optic, I wont be hanging anything off this rifle, except a sling....) I like the fact that it has the right handed knobs on the carry handle, as I have had my share of scraped knuckles due to the standard left handed ones as well as the same plane rear sight aperature for increased accuracy. I requested a 1:7 rifling so as to facillitate the use of heavier bullets and this came in a chrome lined bbl for increased ease of cleaning. I like the fact that it has a 1 piece gas ring for increased reliability. The rifle has a heavy duty extraction system which I found to be highly desirable due to the extraction problems the Stag suffered early on.
    The level 3 which I selected also has a coupla extras such as a trigger overtravel adjustment, a mag well grip enhancement, the option of 4 different stock options, PRI big latch charging handle, an Ergo Grip and the choice of color for the furniture as well as Duracoated upper and lower receivers. These are all functional bonuses which contribute to a seamless package....

The rifles are all given a 100 round break in before being shipped to the customer, as well as a 10 round 25 meter zero (target and casing of first round ever fired through rifle are included in the magwell). They are then bathed and lubed with militec-1, boxed up with all the goodies (mine came with a manual, a certificate for a 2 day carbine class, a bottle of slip-2000 EWP lube, the additional VLTOR stock inserts, and the molle case) and shipped out.

I ran "Ermey" (it's nickname) to the range for a rain soaked 500 rd "meet and greet" today and must say that it has proven to be everything promised and I look forward to many hours of class time with it.

If anyone has any more questions, just ask....

Lead Moderator
    Thanks for the review/ reasoning. it makes your post all the better, with the reasoning behind your purchase.
    What is the grip enhancement on the mag well?

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links